Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 21, 2018, 03:52:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Mini-stick Frank-1  (Read 1524 times)
fitnezz
Silver Member

Kudos: 9

Netherlands Netherlands

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: July 10, 2015, 05:53:13 PM »

Hello,

Though I am very new to the whole rubber band airplanes thing, the mini-stick idea seems not to stop being more and more interesting, maybe even a bit more and more addictive ;-) I still do not have any place to fly, so just to catch a bit of experience I struggle through getting some flight times in my very small flying area in my studio Smiley I tried a lot of designs but there was always something in any of them I did not like, so I decided to try and come up with something suiting my needs by myself just for fun. I wanted in that design to implement suggestions and things I read about on that forum and outside of it, so I will list them below. I was very surprised how good this model flew without any trimming out of the board. That was for sure pure luck, but no design worked that good for me, funny thing. Please tell me what you thing is not correct (appart from my building lack of skills, like too thick wingposts ;p)
Probably everything looks terrible, but please be forgiving, since I am very unexperienced modeller. I have only wood from the shop for the artists and light bags for food as covering. Bags are actually very light, I think they give ~0.06g weight gain + glue on the wing. They are super cheap also, but look very bad. Unfortunately I do not have any source of OS flim or something.
Ah, I called Frank, after Frankenstein, because it implements different thoughts and ideas from other designs;)
Its very heavy - 0.7g, I know I can go down to 0.6 with my materials, will try that this weekend.

The main ideas were:

- Only rounded surfaces, beause I hate to cut and glue the small squares like fins and stabs together. I prefer one shape and glue ribs inside. I think also less glue and weight, true or false that it performs better?
- Polyhedral, because it looks cool and I read it performs better theoreticaly, true or false? Looks it implements 'ellipse idea' of the wing better?
- No wingtips plates to avoid extra weight, plus I kinda dont like them, maybe they are too popular? So other methods of avoiding roll on high torque problem. Is it smart not to have them? I wonder if they also decrease dragg during cruise phase..
- Rolled motor stick tube, I read its good to have, it removes problem with bending of the motor stick, so that was the idea to remove high torque beginning bending. Is it allowed in mini-stick?
- Small stab to remove weight and I like the idea of having smaller stab somehow.
- Big (round) fin, because its easy to make, and I read it removes high torque problem.
- long wing posts, because I dont like short wing posts and I read its better performance. Also my noob guts tell me that it distributes GC better if you can put it that way Wink Probably Im wrong on that one.

Here is the video of it flying. I look forward to read what I should improve or change on that design.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Mini-stick Frank-1
Mini-stick Frank-1
Mini-stick Frank-1
Mini-stick Frank-1
Mini-stick Frank-1

FF - flying first! - building second?
julio
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

Argentina Argentina

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 08:37:28 PM »

Congratulations! Nice flying model. A very personal design with available materials. I like that!
Question: what are the propeller blades made of?

Julio

I think I will stay a novice forever.
fitnezz
Silver Member

Netherlands Netherlands

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 08:09:57 AM »

Thank you Julio. Blades are just A-grain. I can forget about C, no chance to get such a thing Wink The thing is that the average prop lifetime banging against the walls all the time like on the video is about 2-3 days Wink I am trying the idea of having foam blades just like the guy does in this video. Did not assemble the prop yet thouh..

ykleetx
Gold Member

Kudos: 14

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 11:15:11 AM »

Your model looks very good and flies well.  Well done.

It's important that you like how your model looks.

The small stab works when the model has a forward CG and/or long tail moment.  It's obvious from the photos and from the video that your model has both.  If the CG were further back, a larger stab would be needed.

Try to find a larger place to fly where the model won't hit the wall every circle!

Keep up the good work.
fitnezz
Silver Member

Netherlands Netherlands

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 05:40:15 AM »

Thanks for the feedback Ykleetx, great to hear I am on the right track. Super thanks for the stab lesson, I completely did not have a clue about the stab sizes and when the work. I guess time to change playing games during my everyday half an hour train trip to work into reading some aerodynamic book to get an idea of basic design physics Smiley Indeed normal size flying space is on top on my priority list, very difficult in my city though to find someting safe and decent Sad

hastf1b
Gold Member

Kudos: 11

Germany Germany

Winding my Tilka during the german chamionship `87

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 08:35:11 AM »

Very nice model. Here are two links for more information.

Heinz

https://www.facebook.com/groups/214779315288844/

http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showthread.php/127027-Saalflugklasse-Ministick

F1B is o.k.
fitnezz
Silver Member

Netherlands Netherlands

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 08:13:40 AM »

@hastf1b,

thanks! I saw the german forum link before. BTW, love your assembled parts all-in-the-box small models with dissasembled wings etc. Smiley Need to try such a thing also, pretty neat! Smiley

Glidiator
Silver Member

Kudos: 4

India India

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2015, 05:54:05 AM »

Hi,

This link has some very useful articles on improving indoor model building skills. Can red them during your train trips

http://www.pensacolafreeflight.org/page5/page5.html

Anant
India
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: