Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 19, 2018, 01:13:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Rubber stripper using rotary cutter  (Read 1589 times)
RalphS
Gold Member

Kudos: 23

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: July 21, 2015, 12:12:31 PM »

Needing to strip some rubber I thought - why not make a stripper?   I have used one that was lent to me many years ago.  It used the adjustable bridge type guide and the top and bottom blades.  I have a bit of workshop gear and could have copied it but the blades put me off.

Looking in the local hobby store I saw the rotary cutter for cutting cloth, etc.  Looked on e... and bought two 28mm dia blades for under £3 delivered.  My idea was to use a single cutter mounted between two rollers with a split roller on top so that the blade penetrated and hopefully would cut the rubber.  Checking it out with the blade on a 5mm rod and rolling it over a piece of tan 2 it cut ok so starting with a few sketches and various items from the offcut drawer got the project underway.  As form follows function it was obviously going to look a bit like the other strippers.  I didn't have any 6mm alum for the frame sides but did have some 6mm MDF. This machines and drills well so that is what I used.

To prove the concept I had to make the device.  So sides and base from MDF, bottom rollers from aluminium, top roller from 3 laminations of 6mm MDF, various small brass bearings, 3mm steel shafts and a simple handle.  After the first experiments with a balsa guide I made the feed-in guides from a piece of black plastic saved from years back - never throw anything away!

As I found the adjustable bridge guide on the loaned stripper a bit fiddly I went with the plastic guides adjustable with screws (2 pushing, one pulling).

To set the width of the cut rubber I put the LH guide in line with the cutter blade, insert a drill of the desired rubber width and adjust the RH guide to just grip the drill.  Remove the drill and use the rubber to adjust the position of the LH guide.  Feed the rubber in to get it started then wind away to produce the strip.  If there is sufficient rubber width left then adjust the LH guide again and repeat the procedure.  Instead of using drills for setting the width, bits of piano wire or feeler guages could be used.

It seems to work ok but probably needs an accurate packer on the LH side to set the LH guide to the blade centre line for greater accuracy.  The screws used to adjust the blocks need replacing with extended machined nuts that can be twiddled with fingers rather than needing a screwdriver to set the position.

I don't know if anyone else has used rotary blades for rubber stripping or any of the above methods.  if so I would appreciate any feedback.

It worked straight off and, as TMat likes to say, could probably be made in the UK with brass tubes, piano wire and some hard balsa for about 6 old pence. 

More pics to follow.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Rubber stripper using rotary cutter
RalphS
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 12:14:03 PM »

More pics
Re: Rubber stripper using rotary cutter
RalphS
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 12:14:54 PM »

Yet more pics.
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 48

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 12:44:47 PM »

Ralph

Thanks for showing us your efforts, it looks an excellent bit of craftmanship - just like your coupe hubs. Shame I have nowhere local for indoor flying.

Cheers

Peter
RolandD6
Gold Member

Kudos: 22

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 02:01:18 PM »

Ralph

Thanks for showing us this project. I too had pondered the the possibility of using a rotary cutter blade to make a rubber stripper but at that time had not seen a Harlan stripper. In a weak moment my wife told me to 'just buy one', so I did; a Harlan rubber stripper and a Harlan balsa stripper.

Since then I have made two balsa strippers for different types of work and now having seen your example may have a go at making a rubber stripper on similar lines purely for the satisfaction of doing so. Not any time soon though because I already have a lot of projects lined up.

Thank you again for showing us. Perhaps you will encourage someone else to have a go.

Paul
RalphS
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 03:04:29 PM »

Ralph
Thanks for showing us your efforts, it looks an excellent bit of craftmanship - just like your coupe hubs. Shame I have nowhere local for indoor flying.
Cheers  Peter

Thanks Peter.  Much quicker to make than coupe hubs  Wink cheers  Ralph
RalphS
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 03:10:34 PM »

Ralph
Thanks for showing us this project. I too had pondered the the possibility of using a rotary cutter blade to make a rubber stripper but at that time had not seen a Harlan stripper. In a weak moment my wife told me to 'just buy one', so I did; a Harlan rubber stripper and a Harlan balsa stripper.

Since then I have made two balsa strippers for different types of work and now having seen your example may have a go at making a rubber stripper on similar lines purely for the satisfaction of doing so. Not any time soon though because I already have a lot of projects lined up.

Thank you again for showing us. Perhaps you will encourage someone else to have a go.

Paul

Thanks Paul,  My wife would say the same - much cheaper than handbags, shoes, clothes, etc.  My requirements don't need beautifully crafted tools.  Besides I was brought up in the 40's and 50's.   Grin

Ralph 
Dave Andreski
Titanium Member

Kudos: 82

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 06:27:49 PM »

Ralph,
Very nice.
Dave

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
RalphS
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2015, 05:02:45 AM »

Ralph,
Very nice.
Dave

Thanks. 

Ralph
Nick786
Nickel Member

Kudos: 0

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2018, 09:58:51 PM »

I am very interested in building one of these myself (I have acces to wood-working machines). A couple of questions: 1) where did you get the aluminum disks from? Where they purchased or did you machine them yourself? 2) You said that you drew up plans. Is that something you are willing to post online? I am interested in how the aluminum disks relate to the cutter itself. It looks great!
RalphS
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2018, 05:14:32 AM »

A couple of questions: 1) where did you get the aluminum disks from? Where they purchased or did you machine them yourself?
I machined them on my little lathe

You said that you drew up plans. Is that something you are willing to post online?
I will look them up.  When I make things I tend to do very basic drawings - no tolerances, fits, material specs etc.  PM me with your email address and I can send some.

I am not a very skilled/interested indoor flier but wanted to strip some rubber for a scale model.  I got my stripped rubber and then found that ready-made 1/16" was adequate and haven't needed to strip rubber since.  The little tool works okay but the cutter edges lose their sharpness very quickly and need replacing quite frequently. Rubber is tough. If you are likely to do a lot of indoor duration flying you will need a more sophisticated stripper.  The only really difficult bits to make are the shearing cutters that need to be correctly ground and hardened.

Ralph
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: