Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 17, 2017, 04:35:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Best for small gym?  (Read 1138 times)
kill-1
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: September 27, 2015, 06:21:07 PM »

Whats do you think would or is the best penny plane for a small gym say the size of a basketball court? must also be easy to build.im trying to get a group started for this winter and need beginner planes to start.
Hepcat
Platinum Member

Kudos: 207

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 07:22:12 PM »

K1,

Nobody seems to find a good reason to change from Cezar Banks's 'Novice Pennyplane' after he increased the tailplane area slightly in 1990.  Wing, tailplane and fin all have straight edges so no curving of thin pieces of wood.

John
cglynn
Gold Member

Kudos: 7

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 07:44:54 AM »

Another good model is Bill Gowen's LPP.  The original design uses carbon fiber rods for wing and stab spars.  If you don't have them, its okay.  Light, stiff balsa works well too.  There is a minimum of ribs, and all of the ribs are the same size.  The design also utilizes the maximum wing area allowed by the rules, as it is a flat wing with tip plates.

But here is the real "secret"  No matter which model you build, make sure you build a super prop.  I have used various prop designs on my LPP's and can say without a doubt that the Gowen prop with the 3-4 carbon rods as spars is about as good as it gets.  I can fly that prop for 8 minutes no touch in school gymnasium, and then lower the pitch a few degrees to fly for 10:30 in a Category 2 site.  It is a very versatile and very high performance prop. 

Also, I teach the building and flying of indoor models to high school students, most of whom have never built anything let alone a precision indoor model.  They were all able to build LPP type models of the Gowen design, including the prop.  Now, some of them thought they new better than Olbill so they skimped on the carbon a bit.  They found out why too weak a prop spar is a bad thing.  But still, they were able to build and trim the models. 

Have fun with your group.  The LPP is great model to start with, and has probably introduced more people to indoor flying than most other events.  The models are sturdy, easy to build, and I have yet to see a Penny Plane that was built carefully fly poorly.

Chris
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: