Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 10, 2018, 09:09:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Boston Beancraft Banana- a Bostonian  (Read 2400 times)
outofbalance
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: January 25, 2008, 02:56:44 AM »

Don Typond designed this Bostonian. I got the plan from an old modeling magazine. The Bonanza-like tail intrigues me, and, the model just seemed so simply constructed. For me, it was a good learning experience. I’ve flown the BBB indoors and out.

I made my first plastic soda bottle prop for this model. The plan’s prop shape was different to me, fatter toward the hub, tapering a bit toward the tip.

The first few flights showed a slight, hesitating stall, but as the power bled off a bit the model would settle into a nice, flat climb to the left. Eventually, I flew it with 1/8” rubber. It took a while to get the tail plane adjusted. I gave it to a colleague and then built another. That one is pictured below.

One interesting part of this design is its RC qualities. Someone with a South American connection blew up the BBB plan and used it for RC aerobatics. I read a few paragraphs by this author; sorry I can’t recall his name but he was sold on the design. I saw a picture of his big Boston Beancraft Banana (BBBB). I think he left off the landing gear.

I like this Bostonian because there is so much more room in the fuselage; it’s easier to load rubber. A couple of times while winding, the rubber broke and came out through the windshield but there was not a scratch to the fuselage. The best part of BBB is it’s an easy build. Thanks Don Typond.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Boston Beancraft Banana- a Bostonian
Boston Beancraft Banana- a Bostonian
Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Platinum Member

Kudos: 70

Canada Canada

MAAC #25680, VE4BDF (amateur radio callsign)

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 08:18:43 PM »

Hi outofbalance:

I was wondering about the slight stalling problem with the BBB in that perhaps the motor peg is a little too far aft. During the motor run down perhaps the CG is moving slightly aft as the winds come off and this leads to a stalling condition. When I make mine I will move the peg perhaps 3/8th of an inch forward and perhaps the stalling will subside.

Cheers

Bruce

Haul Your Wind! and Hold Your Water! (pirates of the Caribbean)
(Go Fast, sail close hauled to the wind, and bilge the hold to get lighter)
outofbalance
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 12:54:29 AM »

Slight Stall

Moving the post might help; I may have just had too much rubber (1/8"). On the ROG phase, it would get off smoothly and then as it started a left turn, it would start a soft stall, recover, and then fly away the rest of the motor's endurance.

OOB
Maxout
Titanium Member

Kudos: 90

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 07:53:27 AM »

Bruce, I only recommend moving the rear peg to correct CG problems, and this sounds like a need for a hair more downthrust. Actually, a more efficient fix would be to switch to a right-right pattern and use the right thrust to pull it through the stall.

Now the general rule I follow for rear peg placement is to balance the motor about the CG. This may involve trial and error, though it can be pretty well nailed down using CG formulae. Another important issue is to ensure that there is plenty of room at the rear peg position. Most planes I see don't have this important feature and it limits the amount of rubber they can carry without danger of the motor bunching at the rear peg. The Peck Prairie Bird is a good example of this. Of course, the P-bird also has the rear peg one bay too far aft for the incidence settings it has.
outofbalance
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 01:52:18 PM »

Hi Maxout,

(I still have my Maxout Embryo; it's what, three years old now, maybe four. Switched to a double tail (sheet 1/32), re-tissued with Japanese (was domestic) and it still flies great, even in my hands- ha. Nice design.)

I like the idea of a hair down thrust for the cure to this stalling problem on the BBB.

Outofbalance.
buildawyvern
Silver Member

Kudos: 13

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 02:47:54 PM »

Hello!

Nice Beancraft Banana! I have one I've been flying for a few months. It needed 4-5 degrees of down thrust, netural stab, left rudder turn and flys best on 4 strands of 3/32" rubber almost double the motor lengh. It works on one loop of 1/8" but has less duration and altitude. A great design! I'll post some pics soon.

Happy flying,

Tom
Guga
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Brazil Brazil

Aeronautical Skills and Activities

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 12:20:38 AM »

I Liked so much the design of this model...
That I decided to enlarge it and go Electric... man...

One of the best Planes I ever had...
and sure it is different and calls everyones attention in the field...

I named it "Oservattore" and decorated it as an Italian Swiss observer Plane... Grin

Check the video and be sure to watch it in High Def...

http://www.vimeo.com/2703446
Re: Boston Beancraft Banana- a Bostonian

AirModelers... Grow and Electrify...
Guga
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Brazil Brazil

Aeronautical Skills and Activities

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 07:41:06 AM »

You can see same video in High Def in the youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUwY7WCMjgg

In this other video the plane is used for Air Picture...
Shooting a video in this Air Raid Simulation... Cool

You can see the Unique tail Rudder working... Wink

http://www.vimeo.com/721021

or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ebvz3TWHXUI
 Cool

« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 08:40:30 AM by Guga » Logged

AirModelers... Grow and Electrify...
glue_finger
Silver Member

Kudos: 3

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2015, 12:43:44 AM »

Does anyone know what the wingspan should be on this model?
Monique

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2015, 06:26:16 AM »

16"
glue_finger
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2015, 10:59:30 AM »

Thanks.  I saw the plan in the gallery but it didn't say the span or have a reference I could pick out.  Are all Bostonians generally 16" span?
Monique

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2015, 11:53:09 AM »

Thanks.  I saw the plan in the gallery but it didn't say the span or have a reference I could pick out.  Are all Bostonians generally 16" span?

Yup, it's one of the class limits, no more than 16" span.

The Beancraft is a great little flyer. I only flew mine outdoors and it flew away recently on one loop of 3/16th rubber. That's the one in the pic. I've recently built an enlarged to 26" span version with a DT.

outofbalance
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2015, 12:32:41 PM »

Hi colleagues,

Guga on post six built his BBB electric and I saw a post on a different forum where someone from down south built his  BBB big with no LG and RC. He liked the BBB acrobatic abilities.
I have two BBBs in my basement hanger, light, indoor types. I should try an outdoor BBB, maybe a beefier frame up. Working on a 2m glider these days.

Outofbalance
glue_finger
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2015, 12:42:03 PM »

Thanks, Monique and outofbalance.  Sorry to hear about the flyaway.  It's a neat little model.  I wanted to build something from Flying Models called a Windincator, but those plans are not available anymore.  This BBB looks almost like it, from what I recall of the Windindicator.  I'll order up a plan from Ratz, and build this as the final model for the winter.  Will be trying to build another Bostonian first, though.  
IndoorFlyer

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2015, 02:02:50 PM »

... it didn't say the span or have a reference I could pick out.  

You can get a measurement right off the pdf, after opening in Adobe Reader.  Click through Edit→Analysis→Measuring Tool.  

Then, for example, click on the left wingtip, move the cursor to the right wingtip and click again.  A little box will show the distance measured between those 2 points.

You can check the scaling of your plan if there is a known measurement such as a tire size (1.0") or prop dia.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: