Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
February 20, 2017, 09:58:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 3D Printed Winder  (Read 1291 times)
Steven Wrigley
Silver Member

Kudos: 8

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: February 26, 2016, 07:00:21 PM »

The days are getting longer and I suddenly have the urge to go flying. Unfortunately I cant find my winder. So what do i do? 3d print one ofcourse! I am a member of a makerspace at my college and they have half a dozen 3d printers. I heard of a few people printing this winder from Thingiverse so I decided to have a go at it also. At $2.20 an ounce for PLa plastic filament, this should be a pretty cheap project and a good learning opportunity also. After it is finished I plan to make one with a 20:1 ratio if it is possible. So far I have the drive and output gear printed. I actually have 2 output gears printed but wasn't happy with how they turned out. The black input gear was printed on a Printrbot Simple Metal printer and the red output gear was printed on a Tinkerine Ditto Pro. The red gear is only 3 thousandths out of round and the black gear is 7 thousandths out. Not to bad I dont think. Next week I will print the frame and handle.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
3D Printed Winder

My other Saab's a jet!
MikeFF
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Viet Nam Viet Nam

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 05:56:51 AM »

Found this, thought I'd share the find.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1043534

Regards
MikeFF
Art356A
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 10:02:04 AM »

Steve, are you putting me out of business? And I was just going out next week to buy 10 more counters.

a.

My arms are so weak, it's like that pushup I did last year was a total waste.
Steven Wrigley
Silver Member

Kudos: 8

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 04:41:32 PM »

Steve, are you putting me out of business? And I was just going out next week to buy 10 more counters.

a.

Hahaha Hardly! Infact Im pretty excited that I found my chain and sprockets I bought a couple years ago for a cgw. This winder is being printed from pla and it has a low melting temperature so I would imagine on a hot day out in the sun things may get a little wonky. I should have used white pla instead of black. Mike that is the exact model Im printing.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 05:21:11 PM by Steven Wrigley » Logged

My other Saab's a jet!
Indoorfly
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 11:12:49 PM »

Here is mine

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10210634993849193&set=pcb.970766826403105&type=3&theater
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: 3D Printed Winder
Lobo12
Nickel Member

Kudos: 0

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2017, 07:21:34 AM »

Hello!

I'm both new to the forum and to free flight. I've been an RC flyer on and off for a good while and our club (UK) runs two indoor flying sessions a month.

Over time, a few of us have started flying rubber power and I've followed on building a BMFA Gymmnie Cricket which works pretty well.

Anyway, I'm also into 3D printing and have made one of those printed winders. I had to make a lot of changes to the design as I couldn't get some of the parts needed easily.

In the end, it works nicely if more bulky and noisy than a commercial one.

Good flying

Lobo
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: