Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 14, 2018, 12:40:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Bostillation  (Read 1775 times)
kittyfritters
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: March 15, 2016, 10:43:38 PM »

Here is a pic of the Bostillation prototype on the board.  Uses the self-jigging box fuselage system that I have been working on.  I'll be using it in all my Bostonian and Embryo models.  Dave Gee, after seeing how it works said, "That's why engineers need adult supervision.  Without it there is no stopping them!"
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Bostillation

Qua sublata omnia praecepta legis
Ray_K
Gold Member

Kudos: 13

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 07:42:59 PM »

3-16-2016

Self jigging fuselage? interesting, could you please describe how this works, looks awesome!

Thanks, Ray K.  Shocked
kittyfritters
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 08:04:03 PM »

I was trying to develop a system in which laser cutting could help make a straighter box fuselage.  I drew all sorts of tooling, that would be included in the parts sheets, to help align the fuselage when I realized that most of the tooling could be included as part of the structure.  The structural system that I used in the Bostillation prototype is simple and went together very smoothly. 

Basically, the central box in the fuselage is outlined by parts with interlocking tabs.  You build the sides, (With a few "tools" to ensure they are both the same.), leaving the right side pinned to the plan, pin a couple of right angle tools (laser cut as part of the kit) up against the right side of the model at the appropriate points, slip the interlocking cross pieces into the tabs built into the sides, gently hold the left side of the model against the right angle tools, and apply glue to the interlocking tabs.  Some corner gussets are glued in place before unpinning the fuselage from the plan and you now have a precisely square middle section of the fuselage. now you pin the fuselage to the top view on the plan, pin the right angle tools at the front an rear on the center line, and bring the fuselage together, front and rear to align with the tools.  Add the remaining cross pieces and you have a nice, square fuselage. 

There are a few detail improvements to make but it essentially "flew right off the board".  I am now redrawing the Irish Jumping Bean (To use this type of structure, aerodynamically I have it where I want it.), the Beanburg D1, and the Wright Amount of Wrong to use this structural system. 

Ray_K
Gold Member

Kudos: 13

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 09:43:33 PM »

3-16-2016

Pretty neat, Thank you.

Ray K.  Smiley
kittyfritters
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 04:12:45 PM »

Tacked it together for the obligatory "bones shots".  Now the name should make sense.
Re: Bostillation

daveh
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 04:59:05 PM »

Beautiful work KF

Dave
kittyfritters
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2016, 10:03:32 PM »

Here are some pics of it with the skin on.  Once again I designed one that balances without ballast.  O.K., I'll admit, I'm not that good.  I try, and usually come close, but I just got lucky the last three times.  Besides. there will be a few detail changes in the production version and I'm still going to include some clay, and maybe some "ball bearings" in the hardware packet.

It seems to glide well, as far as I can glide it in the house, (there's a 35 mile an hour wind outside at the moment.) but I will get to wring it out at the O.F.F.C. session in the morning.

kittyfritters
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2016, 09:26:23 PM »

I was going to post some photos of the wring out session this morning.  Well, I don't have any photos, but will some video do?

I started out conservatively with lighter rubber just to discover the flight characteristics and establish the turn.  I trimmed it to fly Right/Right, but the turn was opening up as the rubber wound down.  As I said before, it needed no ballast. 

Then I upped the rubber size to see what it takes to get it to R.O.G.  This prototype is a bit heavy, due to all the sheet parts being laminated wood.  The production version will use laminated wood only for the wing tips and tail outlines and should weigh a couple of grams less.  The R.O.G. flights in the video are on a loop of 1/8" flat, Tan Sport, twice the hook to peg length and about 2700 turns.  I finally got it to turn tight enough when the power ran down to keep it off the wall.

The videos cut off short because they were too long to e-mail to myself in their entirety.  I'll have to use the camera that I can download directly to my computer next time, although the Sony Action Cam, controlled by the iPhone in my pocket, makes it so easy to test and do video at the same time.  Of course, I could just go out and buy the action cam software for the computer.

https://youtu.be/uhgbaR5mD20

When it came down it ran under someone's stooge and broke a tail off.  Put it right back on with some CA.

https://youtu.be/sC1TRaA1_gU

Well, if it's not one wall it's another!

https://youtu.be/rk6zzjVesmc

With a few detail changes I think I've got it.  Anyone want one?

Glenn (gravitywell) Reach
Gold Member

Kudos: 34

Canada Canada

It ain't pretty, but its me!

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2016, 11:22:26 PM »

Heck Yeah!  Great little flier you got there.  You have to post the plan for everyone. Smiley

Glenn Reach
The only time you want Guillow's balsa, is when its worth its weight in gold!
PB_guy
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

Canada Canada

Just a kid at heart.

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2016, 12:01:35 AM »

When ready, you might have to line up for a kit.
ian
kittyfritters
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2016, 03:07:05 PM »

Photo shows production version.  I didn't have the time to decorate this one but the kit will have both red and blue side flashes and wing stripes, and because now the wing is optionally removable, the appropriate color rubber bands.  There were a few minor structural changes and the major effort now is re-editing the plans.  Some O.F.F.C. members that have seen the plans complained that the print was too small to read so I am making a separate assembly instruction sheet.  I have several appointments next week so production versions will not be available until the week of the 22.

kittyfritters
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2016, 05:41:40 PM »

Further flight testing of the production version reveals an interesting problem.  The "production" version has shorter tails than the original prototype.  This was because I thought I had gone a little overboard with the tail shape, for charisma reasons, and all he experts in the O.F.F.C. (No, really!  There is, collectively, about 1000 years of modeling experience in that group.) were telling me that my Bostonian had too much tail. 

With this version R.O.G. takeoffs became very sensitive to any turn trim,.  Too much and it would drag a wing tip on takeoff and the prop would dig in.  Not enough and it would fly straight when to motor wound down.

The answer?  Return to the original tails!  Still working on the readability of the plans and trying to get it out next week.

kittyfritters
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2016, 12:40:49 AM »

Did some comparative testing between the "long tail" and "short tail" versions of the Bostillation at the Grassy Knoll this morning.  Actually, the Muddy Knoll since the sprinklers were on just before I got there.  Got to remember they run them on Friday mornings. Unfortunately, my Action Cam ran out of battery before I finished (Was also test flying the Wright Amount of Wrong earlier.) so you don't see them flying with the same motor.

Anyway, the videos:

Short Tail
https://youtu.be/9kQNIXT5OOs

and Long Tail
https://youtu.be/FlKtxJ3EOg4

kittyfritters
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2016, 10:02:11 PM »

The Bostillation kit is now available on the web site.

The production version has the original tall tails.

kittyfritters
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2016, 06:14:36 PM »

Video of a production Bostillation flying at Stonehurst.  Not trying for any records here...the video had to be short enough to send to my computer from my (old) cell phone.

https://youtu.be/s-XlkEw6bww

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: