Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
June 28, 2017, 11:58:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Tomboy 36 for RC, Build  (Read 2033 times)
cloudburstz
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: April 04, 2016, 08:41:24 AM »

Hi Again
I've just finished ( finally ) the Brolga 2 Sailplane , the whole process is in the Sailplanes forum.
Onto something different & since I've always liked the look of the old Tomboy, time to get one.
The pdf of the plan printed onto A0 paper came out with the wing nearly bang on 36" so close enough.
I think I'll just go rudder elevator with a little vintage style diesel for power.
Should be able to get through this one much quicker than the Brolga.
Anyway, up & running with the Fuselage. Stay tuned. B  Smiley
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Tomboy 36 for RC, Build
Tomboy 36 for RC, Build
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 09:28:51 AM by Sundance12 » Logged
Starduster
Platinum Member

Kudos: 28

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 10:52:51 AM »

Cute airplane, looks perfect for some park flying.

What are you going to power it with? I'd go electric, but that's me...

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty..."
DavidJP
Platinum Member

Kudos: 18

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 12:10:10 PM »

I have electric in my Madcap and it is fine.  It is also a great help from the point of view of getting it to height and switching off to let it float around  as long as possible and then back on to regain height and so on. Can get some long flights that way.

BUT and this may be because it is a re run of my teenage years when the one I built  then was EDBee powered, somehow it is not right without a diesel!!!  I have even considered a dummy pot with comp. screw etc. to help redress the situation.

So think about it perhaps?  I am currently putting together a half scale Scram (1938?) for a Mills as penance.
cloudburstz
Bronze Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 07:39:46 AM »

Good points, a little way to go yet. I like the nostalgia of the diesel but the weekend may have changed that. Getting back in the sport after some decades I went to a training day at a club that is mostly gliders. The three training planes were 2 channel rudder elevator sailplanes but with an electric motor & folding prop added. Went aloft on the buddy box with some instructors and all good, seems some things you don't forget but what I noticed most of course was the sheer convenience of having a motor to haul the glider rapidly up and then just cut it. "Too easy.." as we say in Australia, fly round , catch some lift, if not so good then a quick motor run and back up. Perfect, no bungee or winch.
So I need to think about this for the Tomboy, of course its all clean & easy as well, though I still love the idea of that little diesel..... Smiley
OZPAF
Titanium Member

Kudos: 37

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 03:14:56 AM »

It's hard top beat electric - although my first engine was also a ED Bee(still have it and the 60 yr old motor still runs). I used it in a control line own design model.
Looks nice CB.

John
ZK-AUD
Gold Member

Kudos: 16

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 04:54:15 AM »

In case anyone is interested Gwyn Avenell of Avetek fame does a nice laser cut Tomboy short kit down this end of the world and I know a few have just gone across to Oz.  Get in touch with Avetek through their Facebook page 

https://www.facebook.com/Aveteknz
DavidJP
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 06:25:29 AM »

I agree with all you say about electric and have an electric glider!!  Of course it is a hobby and one is free to choose so why not, on reflection?  And do both.....  Best of both worlds.
cloudburstz
Bronze Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2016, 08:23:28 AM »

Cracking on with the Tomboy, unexpectedly found a nice sheet of Artesania Latina 1/16 ply today in a local shop, for the rib template made and started the ribs, never was my favourite job. Turned out to be quick easy and accurate , 10 done , using sandwich block of 5 only. Both fuselage sides done also. Some pics below, also picked up the little hand saw, with very fine teeth at 52/inch its been perfect for the the spar slots and LE notch.
Re: Tomboy 36 for RC, Build
cloudburstz
Bronze Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2016, 07:04:34 AM »

Moving on  little today, balsa & ply formers done apart from the firewall until I determine the engine. Wing ribs finished, need to do tailplane ribs next.
cloudburstz
Bronze Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2016, 06:10:10 AM »

I'm away with pesky work for 4 weeks, so TOMBOY work has halted unfortunately , during my time away I need to source a little diesel online  to power it however, and since I now fully have the bug again I've brought with me a copy of Martin Simons classic text " Model Aircraft Aerodynamics" to keep me amused in spare time.
cloudburstz
Bronze Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2016, 07:51:21 PM »

Back into it after a bit of a break. Here are some photos of latest progress. Away again for a few weeks, no more work on it until early december. I'm still keen on putting a little replica diesel in it despite having seen and flown the benefits of electric. Dont need to make that decision for a few weeks yet.
OZPAF
Titanium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2016, 08:01:56 PM »

Nice work CB. You really get stuck into it when you get back on shore.
happy building.
John
DavidJP
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2016, 04:52:42 AM »

Just caught up on this - yes do put a replica diesel in it just to confuse and confound!  Sure you will feel better too. After all the scale chaps put dummy engines in their models.
cloudburstz
Bronze Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2016, 01:37:16 AM »

Yes I think I will go with the diesel. Back home in a week to carry on. There is an Agent in Australia for the redfin diesels who has the little .049 in Stock. Been half a Lifetime since I\ve been spinning the prop on one of them. I have lots of Isaki Japanese tissue left over from a Keil Kraft Ajax, tempted to use it for the old look but not sure how it will go with fuel.
gossie
Platinum Member

Kudos: 46

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2016, 01:48:15 AM »

Yes I think I will go with the diesel. Back home in a week to carry on. There is an Agent in Australia for the redfin diesels who has the little .049 in Stock. Been half a Lifetime since I\ve been spinning the prop on one of them. I have lots of Isaki Japanese tissue left over from a Keil Kraft Ajax, tempted to use it for the old look but not sure how it will go with fuel.

Esaki is fine on wings and tail as is, but double cover the fuselage with it cross grained.

3 coats of thin dope then a coat of fuel proof.   A clear varnish is fine.
FLYBOY49
Bronze Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2016, 11:58:40 AM »

Two things.

Those Redfin engines are a real treat!

But, I'd strongly recommend Tissue over Mylar.  It sounds like double the work.  But, it is well worth the effort and with .05 Mylar it actually comes out finished lighter than tissue and lots of dope.  I put the Mylar  on with purple glue stick.  The tissue goes on wet of course by your favorite method.

TOMBOYS forever!!!

Van...
Ployd
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2016, 07:02:51 PM »

I would cover the whole model with Aerospan tissue (near puncture proof) and colour tissue trim. Fuel proof (2 part water based polyurethane) the fuselage, stab and the first 6" either side of the wing centre section.

I hope you have reinforced the area where the U/C exits the fuselage, it will cop a caning if you come in hard on landing. Have you extended the engine bearers back to the second former? Another weak area in the design.

Ployd in OZ.

"So I collect engines, what's your problem?"
Kurt
Silver Member

Kudos: 3

Brazil Brazil

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2017, 10:31:46 AM »

Ployd,
very nice classical engine in yr Tomboy! I have got one ,too, in Germany and intend to place it in a Tomboy or King Burd (do you know that?)
Best regards,
Kurt
cloudburstz
Bronze Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2017, 08:30:57 AM »

Thanks folks
on those points, I'll beef up the undercarriage area.
I wondered about the engine bearers being so short and stopping at F1 so I'll extend them back.
Got in touch with the Aus distributor of the Redfin Engines and I should have an ).049 Diesel on the way soon.
Just wondering about making fuel , looking online .

Been a bit of a break from building but had an enthusiastic night in the shed,( big saturday night in) sanding etc.
Also checking out which servos to get .
Hopefully lots of progress to come.
cloudburstz
Bronze Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2017, 03:49:03 PM »

I'm away from home working but my son sent this pic, the engine has arrived. Looking forward to seeing it.
OZPAF
Titanium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2017, 06:42:44 PM »

The Redfin's look nice little motors CB. Maris Dislers, from Adelaide, is the engine man to talk to in AUs - especially about diesels.
Maris writes the engine column in Aeromodeller - one of his redfin reviews here
http://www.redfinengines.com/wp-content/themes/redfin/pdf/redfinarticle.pdf

John
ZK-AUD
Gold Member

Kudos: 16

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2017, 07:36:48 PM »

If that's the Komp-ish (minituraised ED Comp special look-alike) I have one of them and it's a little beauty - punches well above its weight too!
cloudburstz
Bronze Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2017, 01:34:40 PM »

Its the Millish 049, see the photo below.
Thanks for the link to the Aeromodeller article, I actually have that issue , but not With me on the ship so I've read it again.
I've just got to sort out fuel and how to get/make it , since I want to give it a run on the bench as soon as I get home.
Model is mostly finished apart from the nose section which wont take long, just have to buy some suitable Wood for engine bearers.
A few weeks I found a video on RCgroups of a freeflight Tomboy in Aus , perfectly trimmed flying neat circles quite low. Thought maybe I should just try that but since I've already built it for rudder elevator I'll continue Down that track.
cloudburstz
Bronze Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2017, 03:23:01 PM »

On the subject of covering I'd like to stay Authentic , but may not have enough Esaki Tisuue left from the Keil Kraft Ajax. I got it from Pelaero in Aus I recall, but cant find that link. Any advice on suppliers or the Aerospan tissue mentioned above ??
OZPAF
Titanium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2017, 03:12:01 AM »

Peter Lloyd(Pelaero) may be able to help with the covering info. I'd like to know as well - balsa and FF stuff in general is getting hard to source in Oz.

John
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: