Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
November 24, 2017, 12:45:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: First world problem?  (Read 2879 times)
ZK-AUD
Gold Member

Kudos: 22

New Zealand New Zealand

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: May 01, 2016, 04:33:44 PM »

I once heard a woman moaning that her jewellery was too heavy and I thought,  now that's a first world problem.  What I am about to describe may fall in the same category.

Can't really moan about gravity in this case but I do have a beef with the rotten Koreans who produced my Hyundai Santa Fe and gave it an automatic tailgate mechanism.  They thought they were especially smart with the feature that allows you jus to stand by it with the fob in your pocket and it will open and close by itself - apparently useful if you have an armload of groceries.

Had a great morning flying yesterday.  Rubber powered tiger moth and the repaired P40 that featured here a couple of weeks back.  Also took the opportunity to test my A Texaco vintage Playboy which went really well with its new engine - PAW .19CT4  This is their C/L Combat tuned version with twin ball races and bushed con rod.  According to the telemetry on my new radio it hauled it up to 1300ft on the 14cc Humbrol can tank we use for this event.

I got home in the usual state of post flying euphoria that a good mornings flying induces and was unloading models when I heard the telltale beep from Santa Fe followed by the sickening crunch as it closed on Playboy's wing.

Fortunately it was close to the tip and repairs shouldn't be too hard or noticeable but as always the frustrating thing is that building time is too precious to waste on this unnecessary kind of re-work.   

Don't you sometimes wish there was some kind of un-do button for life?
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 48

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 04:50:55 PM »

Sorry to read about your mishap. Sometimes technology is a real pain up the bum!
USch
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 05:09:19 PM »

Problem is that people dont want to do anything (not even building models  Wink ), so producers act accordingly and automate as much as possible.
Look at the pc, in windows XP you had to click on something if you wanted to show up, now with windows 10 it jumps up at the slightest move of the mouse. And most always it's not what you wanted. Damn.....

I feel like wet nursed, but I'm not that old  Shocked

Urs

Fast up-Slow down
Warhawk
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 10:33:23 PM »

The reason I'm still on Windows 7.  It still does things I don't want, but not as many as Windows 10, I think.  What kills me is that Chevy and GMC are touting their new technology - noise cancelling (been around since the 50's), and an onboard computer that rats out the driver to parents. 

On the plus side, accident avoidance technology is great, if it works (my vehicles DO NOT have it).

Justin
applehoney
Titanium Member

Kudos: 215

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 12:21:18 AM »

I moved from XP to 7 with great reluctance .... but certain it was a better move than going to 10,  for which I resolutely delete the many pop-ups that beg me to 'upgrade' to it.
ffkiwi
Gold Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 12:23:12 AM »

Remember the 'remote start' feature in some vehicles a few years back?  Didn't THAT turn out to be a great idea?......especially after a few 4WDs were left in gear, without the handbrake on- people used the remote start.....and the vehicles jumped the pavement, crashed into shops pedestrians etc.... remember the old adage 'if it can go wrong, it will....'

ChrisM
 'ffkiwi'
woodemt
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 08:09:41 AM »

Never bet against "Murphy". Smiley
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 21

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2016, 02:23:50 PM »

Well I wonder if those cars are permitted in Europe Mike because I can't really imagine the gnomes of Brussells allowing the; but also the manufacturers are perhaps a little silly having no fail safe device because someone could get a tap on the head and with the aid of ambulance chasing lawyers sue for thousands!

No problems with Windows as I have apple.  And my inclination is to assume that any oddity that occurs is down to me as I am far from proficient - except for the predictable spelling/grammar/composition which is subversive in the extreme.

Finally having just looked at the indoor Nats topic I think I will settle to remain as a spectator!
ZK-AUD
Gold Member

Kudos: 22

New Zealand New Zealand

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2016, 07:11:03 PM »

It does have a safety feature in that if it encounters resistance it stops and goes back up.  Obviously this is calibrated to overcome the lock mechanism or it wouldn't shut.  Unfortunately it takes more grunt to overcome the lock mechanism than it does to crush a balsa model aeroplane wing!
kittyfritters
Gold Member

Kudos: 18

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2017, 02:44:47 PM »

Problem is that people dont want to do anything (not even building models  Wink ), so producers act accordingly and automate as much as possible.
Look at the pc, in windows XP you had to click on something if you wanted to show up, now with windows 10 it jumps up at the slightest move of the mouse. And most always it's not what you wanted. Damn.....

I feel like wet nursed, but I'm not that old  Shocked

Urs

They didn't get a motor driven milk truck on our route in Dayton, Ohio until 1950.  I can truthfully say that I fed carrots to the milk man's horse and I'm not that old!  Wink

And, you think that you are annoyed by Window's 10...I used to use Unix from the command line.  I remember attending a system design conference in the 1980s where we were told that our challenge for the 21st Century would be to produce business and home computer systems and that could be used effectively by the uneducated, unmotivated and uninterested.  Well?

Qua sublata omnia praecepta legis
USch
Gold Member

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2017, 05:24:34 PM »

.......home computer systems and that could be used effectively by the uneducated, unmotivated and uninterested.  Well?

OK, now I understand!
So you are in part responsible for this mess, and I always thought that modellers are quit and peaceful persons  Grin Grin Grin
(but dont take it seriously, please)

Urs

Fast up-Slow down
fred
Gold Member

Kudos: 2

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2017, 12:24:56 PM »

Unfortunate about your pore Aero. Modelling is in large part about repairing tho.
Does beg the question : why did you buy a goofy  Korean Kar that you are unhappy with ?
 Unlikely because it was eye pleasing. Perhaps price :-)

Interesting bit about Not wanting Win 10. 
IMO that horse bolted long ago.
I too stayed on XP until the last possible moment. then took the Win 10 upgrade last summer.
 A year later I have Zero regrets. It works flawlessly.
 It's also dead easy to reconfigure for whatever privacy issues one might entertain.
 Also the operating face of it, to the old / familiar.
Obstinancy does carry a cost.

USch
Gold Member

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2017, 01:35:57 PM »

Correction: I never wrote I dont want Win10, I work with it daily.
I just took it as an example how producers tend to look at you as an ignorant being which has to be guided every second.

Urs

Fast up-Slow down
TheLurker
Silver Member

Kudos: 4

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2017, 01:59:05 PM »

Quote from: kittyfritters
They didn't get a motor driven milk truck on our route in Dayton, Ohio until 1950.  I can truthfully say that I fed carrots to the milk man's horse and I'm not that old!  Wink
The co-op (St. Cuthberts IIRC) in Edinburgh  were still using horse drawn milk floats into the 1980s; 1982 for certain and possibly as late as '85.  Used to see them when I visited my Great Aunt in Balgreen.

Quote from: kittyfritters
And, you think that you are annoyed by Window's 10...I used to use Unix from the command line.  I remember attending a system design conference in the 1980s where we were told that our challenge for the 21st Century would be to produce business and home computer systems and that could be used effectively by the uneducated, unmotivated and uninterested.  Well?
We've failed.   I seem to spend my life arguing with colleagues about the "Fisher-Price" interfaces they want to inflict on our customers and don't get me started on "flat"*.  I'm not winning. Roll on retirement when I can fire up my old BeOS machine and pretend that Windows and all the rest of it doesn't exist. Smiley

*I'm all in favour of progress (f'rinstance I rather like Android - does what it does for tablet and touch very nicely), but only when it's really progress not some marketing bod's absinthe "inspired" nightmare passed off as progress.
kittyfritters
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2017, 06:20:38 PM »

... A year later I have Zero regrets. It works flawlessly....

Well, No, it doesn't.  But aside from any nit picking technical glitches in it, my major reason for not upgrading to Win 10 is that I would have to "upgrade" the software for my laser cutter.  The problem with that is the "upgraded" software is a cloud app, while the current software resides on my shop computer and works even if access to the internet is down.  At the moment I'm just too busy (or lazy) to set up a Linux machine (For very good reasons.) in the shop and write a driver for the laser cutter.

My wife upgraded to Win 10 on her laptop and I've finally gotten her just accept it and stop cursing at it to save our 50 year plus marriage. Roll Eyes

But, enough about computers, I thought this thread was about car features, garage door openers, and like "conveniences" mangling our models.

Howard
(kittyfritters)

Qua sublata omnia praecepta legis
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 21

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2017, 07:48:42 AM »

Pretty lost on all this windows stuff (iMac user) so ignorance is bliss. 

Not long after this topic started I bought  Kia Sportage with all kinds of baffling gizmos on it but not automatic tailgate - much for the same reason as my Honda mower has to be pushed - a bit of exercise is good for you.  But I have mastered the automatic lights and wipers which I quite appreciate.  Some things though that hint at me sitting back and letting it get on with it are not trusted.  Overall as a car I am pretty impressed.  Automatic start? Really - wow I could imagine touching the fob in the house and suddenly the garage doors blown off - or does it open them first?

My "aeromodelling" techniques have not changed much - my Txs have all kinds of gadgetry which I do not use - far too long as a seat of the pants flyer I think - exponential and all that is for wimps!  But then I don't fly the full house stuff now. Even the most sophisticated stuff then was pretty clockwork by todays standard. But when it comes to building the same old scalpel, single edged razor blade and a residue of garnet paper (no longer available) although pva and cyno instead of balsa cement.

Dear old milkmans horse - and the baker had one too - but here I am told that they were considered a health hazard. There was a bag to catch the droppings on some horses but not all - and the keen gardeners would rush out and shovel it up - almost coming to blows over the prize. 

Ahhh good old days .......... loved 'em!  But here I am listening to Die Fledermaus my Sonus operated by my iPhone having just downloaded and printed of a plan on my iMac.  Technology I think I need you regrettably, damn it!
Graham Banham
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2017, 03:21:29 PM »

I feel positively prehistoric: my Audi A1 requires me to open and close the tailgate myself, and i have to put an actual key in a hole on the steering column to start it.

And it was new 5 months ago: has teutonic technology been left behind? No, i just bought the smallest (aka cheapest) car in the range
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: