Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 23, 2017, 11:27:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Tiger Cub  (Read 677 times)
Fourfingers
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: May 17, 2016, 03:11:18 AM »

Greetings All
Does anyone know output data or a review of Oliver Tiger Cub (Schnuerle version) as made by Tom Ridley?  Having just received one, outstanding engine, it would be good to know.
After only a few mins running, it already pulls like  train and would give my 1.5 PAW - itself a great motor - a run for its money!

Subsid Q: did JO make a Schneurle (?) version, or is it a Ridley development?  I am aware of the Sceptre test site, but no clue there.
many thanks
jc
Ployd
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 08:36:30 AM »

http://sceptreflight.net/Model%20Engine%20Tests/Index%20Diesels.html

The majority of Mk 1 & 2 Cubs made by John Oliver had the 4 port exhaust. The schneurle ported version is a recent development.

Ployd in OZ

"So I collect engines, what's your problem?"
Fourfingers
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 09:55:17 AM »

Many thanks for that PloydinOz.  The plot thickens: according to the Olly history by P Chinn on Sceptre, some 'original' schnuerle cubs were made (in the sixties?).
It does look strange, though, with one wee exhaust port at the back.  Suppose some sort of collector could be made to soften the bark .... Not so much fun!
Jez Wilkins
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 06:07:31 PM »

Hi Fourfingers

It's clear from here http://sceptreflight.net/Model%20Engine%20Tests/Oliver%20Tiger%20History.html (middle column, last paragraph, and continuing to the top of the right hand paragraph) that 'John Oliver Engineering' were producing Schnuerle Tiger-Cubs as at February 1984 (this being the publication date of said article in the Aeromodeller magazine).  The article mentions the Schnuerle Tiger-Cubs as being one of the models that 'Oliver production of recent years has been concentrated on'.  

So, on the face of it, the Schneurle Tiger-Cub existed before the current Ridley/Oliver production, and it had done so for some years prior to February 1984, although exactly how many is not clear. Smiley  The Ridley/Oliver Schneurle Tiger-Cub is, therefore, a continuation of the original 'John Oliver Engineering' production, rather than a 'new' model, if that is the question you were asking when you used the word 'development'?  The current Ridley/Oliver Schneurle Tiger-Cub is, I understand, produced using CNC machinery, which the 'John Oliver Engineering' Schneurle Tiger-Cubs would not have been - so in at least that sense, I suppose you could take a view that they are a 'development' of the original. Smiley  Even so, I would still contrast this with the Ridley/Oliver engines that are currently being produced for Vintage C/L Combat, for which there are no original equivalents - although I recall (happy to be corrected on this though) that they are based on [developed from?] the Mk IV Oliver Tiger case.  

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Jez Wilkins    

Fourfingers
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 04:06:32 AM »

Jez, of course you are right.... sloppy research on my part!
Just to re-pose my original subsid question: anyone know of a test for the schnuerle Cub?
4f
Jez Wilkins
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 05:36:27 PM »

Hi again Fourfingers.

No problem.

I meant to answer your question about engine tests first time around and then forgot.  Roll Eyes

Sorry, but I don't recall any tests of (Schneurle) Tiger Cubs, either 'old', or 'current' production.  That doesn't mean to say that there haven't been any, though.  Have you looked at the index for the Aeromodeller magazine, on Colin Usher's website, here http://aeromodeller.info/Aeromodeller/aeromodeller.html?  You will need Microsoft Excel to open the index, which I don't have, but the explanation above the link to the spreadsheet says that it includes not only the 'old' Aeromodeller magazines, but also the 'new' ones. So, you might have some luck there?

I don't have a 'current' production Oliver, but am a bit surprised that 'output data' was not included with your engine - thought that this was pretty standard stuff for most engine manufacturers to include with their products.  Could this information have been excluded, in error, from your motor/box, or have you confirmed with Tom that he does not provide this information?

Cheers again,

Jez Wilkins     

Fourfingers
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 04:44:47 AM »

Thanks Jez, will check these out.  Talking of new Olivers did you see a Tiger Nib went for £350 on eBay?  Was a Tom version @5 yr old.  Crazy days.
4f
Jez Wilkins
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2016, 11:38:14 AM »

Fourfingers said
Thanks Jez, will check these out.
 My pleasure, Fourfingers.  Smiley

Fourfingers also said
Talking of new Olivers did you see a Tiger Nib went for £350 on eBay?  Was a Tom version @5 yr old.  Crazy days.

Must confess, I don't check for engines on eEbay, these days - on the basis that I don't have the willpower to resist a bargain and already have too many engines, anyway.  Grin

I stopped checking maybe a couple of years ago and had maybe checked for six/seven years before that.  During that time 'original' Olivers always made good money (£250 ish, from memory) maybe a bit less, if in poor condition and maybe a bit more, if in very good condition.  The 'current' Ridley/Oliver production is, as you have discovered, at least in the same ball park, if not even a bit more.  Sometimes, bidders are paying more than the price of a new one - whether they know or not, or whether they are prepared to buy like this, to avoid having to 'wait' (if, indeed, there is any 'wait') to buy one direct from Tom, is a mystery to me. Roll Eyes  

The highest prices for 'Oliver' types were (maybe still are) for the Steve Rothwell (SMR PTY Ltd, Australia) R250 'clone' of the 'Tiger'.  As far as I know, no longer in production.  They didn't come up very often on eBay when I was looking and probably still don't, now.  When they did, they made very good money - seem to recall one of those selling for somewhere around £450.  Roll Eyes

Cheers again,

Jez Wilkins          

« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 11:52:01 AM by Jez Wilkins » Logged
old4570

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2016, 06:25:44 AM »

http://sceptreflight.net/Model%20Engine%20Tests/Oliver%20Tiger%20Cub%20Mk%202.html

http://sceptreflight.net/Model%20Engine%20Tests/Oliver%20Tiger%20Mk3%20&%20Cub%20Mk%202.html

http://modelenginenews.org/cornell/oliver_reprod.html

Some interesting reading ...
Fourfingers
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2016, 08:59:07 AM »

Thanks 4570
These reviews make great reading.  I have bought a copy of John Goodall's book too.  All the pics and info on a personal level to make a real tribute.  My Schnuerle Cub is No. SC 681.  Must be numbered sequentially from the originals, I guess.
4f
old4570

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2016, 09:26:33 AM »

Hmmmm , wonder what the serial is on mine ( original )
Fourfingers
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2016, 01:24:20 PM »

And what year?  Does it still roar?
3 1/2 f
old4570

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2016, 09:44:12 PM »

I have two cubs ..
A MK2 and a schnuerle ...

The MK2 is mint in the box , and the schnuerle is in excellent condition ..
I dont know the vintage of the Schnuerle , but I got it in the 90's ... How long the previous owner had it for ?
qazimoto
Bronze Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2016, 07:52:21 AM »

Greetings All
Does anyone know output data or a review of Oliver Tiger Cub (Schnuerle version) as made by Tom Ridley?  Having just received one, outstanding engine, it would be good to know.
After only a few mins running, it already pulls like  train and would give my 1.5 PAW - itself a great motor - a run for its money!

Subsid Q: did JO make a Schneurle (?) version, or is it a Ridley development?  I am aware of the Sceptre test site, but no clue there.
many thanks
jc

I have an original Schnuerle cub, a few non-schnuerle, and a Ridley version. I think that the consensus is that the former isn't any stronger than the others but is much more fuel efficient. The Ridley cub is definitely the stronger of the lot.
Kiwi
Bronze Member

Kudos: 3

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2017, 08:29:56 PM »

Hi again Fourfingers.

No problem.

I meant to answer your question about engine tests first time around and then forgot.  Roll Eyes

Sorry, but I don't recall any tests of (Schneurle) Tiger Cubs, either 'old', or 'current' production.  That doesn't mean to say that there haven't been any, though.  Have you looked at the index for the Aeromodeller magazine, on Colin Usher's website, here http://aeromodeller.info/Aeromodeller/aeromodeller.html?  You will need Microsoft Excel to open the index, which I don't have, but the explanation above the link to the spreadsheet says that it includes not only the 'old' Aeromodeller magazines, but also the 'new' ones. So, you might have some luck there?

I don't have a 'current' production Oliver, but am a bit surprised that 'output data' was not included with your engine - thought that this was pretty standard stuff for most engine manufacturers to include with their products.  Could this information have been excluded, in error, from your motor/box, or have you confirmed with Tom that he does not provide this information?

Cheers again,

Jez Wilkins     

Hmm, that website of Colins doesn't seem to be a valid address anymore. Anyone know whats happening there, hope the index hasn't disappeared forever.
RolandD6
Gold Member

Kudos: 20

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2017, 09:32:29 PM »

According to the January 2017 issue of Aeromodeller, Colin died in late October 2016 from pancreatic cancer. The link to Colin's work is given as www.aeromodeller.info (not associated with Aeromodeller magazine).

Hope that helps.

Paul
Kiwi
Bronze Member

Kudos: 3

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2017, 03:16:34 AM »

Thanks for that Paul, I was working with Colin indexing the first 10+years of Flying Scale Models which he didn't have. My last email from him was on October 6 where he said his illness was worse than he thought but he had a friend taking over the indexes and I should just send mine to him as usual and he would forward them on to the friend. Problem is I don't know who that was and what became of the database, I was going to download myself a complete copy when it was finished but didn't get it done before the site vanished.
Maybe I should post this in the "General" topic as well.
RolandD6
Gold Member

Kudos: 20

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2017, 05:57:25 AM »

The friends name is David Lloyd-Jones who apparently was in the same club as Colin for many years. The note in Aeromodeller does not mention which club but I imagine some member of HPA will know or know of David.

Paul
Fourfingers
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2017, 06:15:50 AM »

Just to keep this little pot simmering ...
Managed to breakthepiggy bank and acquire a JSO Schneurle Cub in the recent sale of his personal collection.  No 554 and interestingly was made in'98 - out of time - possibly a round up off bits left?  According to the catalogue it was unrun.  All nice and free apart from solid c/piston -freed by heat and tap tap trick.
Goes like a real Ollie (done a youtube vid onit) andI would hazard it would rev freer thanmy Ridley....

So ... backto the original question - how many schneurle cubs did JSO make! 
A kind respondent has no 555 which he reckoned to be the last .... but the Ollie register on Barton site has a later number-eoe of course!
Also had chance to meet the Oliver clan at the sale.  Lovely people as you would expect.

Back to prices -ddi y'all see that Siver Arrow on ebay recently?  £450 to you sir.  Regret letting mine go.  The pundits at the time reckon it had the edge on the Major ..... now there's a pot stirrer.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: