Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 16, 2018, 12:04:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Monex Moni #82 - build  (Read 2690 times)
bgrove
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2016, 08:24:17 PM »

I haven't tried printing tissue.  I use my work printer and honestly I think it would shred tissue.  Is there decal material you can print on?  I tried to cut out the small Monex and plane number but there are very small.

Yes, the glue is stinging as I type this.  Ha.  I glued it about 5 min. ago, I hope it calms down soon.

Stripes on the fuselage look great.  I'll post photos tomorrow.

Brad
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 162

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2016, 03:12:13 AM »

I use a home Epson printer and it works well. The tissue is attached to a backing sheet of bond paper and fed through the printer.
Lots of info here on HPA.
John
bgrove
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2016, 05:42:31 PM »

thanks OZOAF,  I'll have to do more research into printing onto tissue.  I think that would be very cool.

Here are some shots of my canopy dye project.  Success!!!  Very nice.  the photo shows the various tests and the canopy on the plane is the test version on darker than the final.

I found that I really needed to time the submersion in the solution and ultimately 1.5 minutes was the winner.  I think it will really bring the final build together.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Monex Moni #82 - build
bgrove
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2016, 04:55:04 PM »

Pretty much finished the plane today !!!!  I might try some hand lettering and control surface lines, but we'll see.

The plane turned out somewhere between the Monnett Monex #82 and the Monex Moni.  So it's not a scale anything, just an inspired version of the two.  I'm still pleased with the outcome.

Right now the plane weighs 14 grams - but I think closer to 15.  It still needs some nose weight to balance and I only have a display motor installed.

I'm going to clean up my bench, organize my tools and materials and start looking at what to build next.
bgrove
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2016, 04:58:51 PM »

A couple more photos.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2016, 07:10:58 PM »

The chalked tissue was worth the effort Brian. It looks like a painted finish. Very neat.
John

bgrove
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2016, 05:47:14 PM »

I got excited to see how she flew.   Not an impressive video and excuse the backyard - I'm starting a large redo on the yard.
I put about 50-60 winds onto the display rubber which doesn't seem to be enough power to get a good reading.  The plane had a couple of nice level flights (short) and then dropped as seen in the video.  I found when I didn't  give it a good throw it stalled and rolled hard to the left.  I assume this is due to no lift at low speed and prop torque.

Anyway, I put her in the air!!!

http://gallery.r2cgroup.com/var/albums/modernmedia/Brad-G/July%202016%20042.mov?m=1469482627

OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2016, 07:47:06 PM »

I couldn't open your link Brian - more likely a hassle at my end. However it sounds good - a bit more side
thrust perhaps.
John
rgroener
Platinum Member

Kudos: 27

Switzerland Switzerland

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2016, 01:29:38 AM »

Brian, very nice build.
I dont like the shape of this plane, but that's not your fault Grin

About the flying... I had similar problems with my GeeBee R2. She needs quite some speed to be stable.
But the behaviour without enough speed looks a bit different than the pattern in your video.
One thing that striked me was, that the plane is towed down abruptly. Wich isn't the first thing I expect if there is not enough airflow at the control surface. The GeeBee kept the nose up, and than rolled abruptly to the left side.
CG, incident and down- and right thrust are right? How is the glide?

Thats the interesting part... make this beast to fly well Grin

Roman
Hepcat
Platinum Member

Kudos: 275

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2017, 09:02:30 PM »

Brian,
A neat build and I think a very clever simplifying of a difficult aeroplane too model.  The link to a flying video did not work for me so flight performance is difficult to assess. However I cannot see any longitudinal dihedral and, if anything, the tailplane may be a little positive so I would guess the CG is too far back. I've said that a bit backwards! Perhaps makes more sense if I say, move the cg forwards and put some negative on the tail.
John
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: