Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 18, 2018, 09:39:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What should I do with my 72mhz transmitter?  (Read 1330 times)
vonfilm
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: July 11, 2016, 02:22:29 PM »

Many years ago I purchased a JR HP662 72mhz computer transmitter. I never got around to using it and it remains new in the box. It also includes an R610 receiver and 4 241 servos. It is for channel 27 and I also have a new GWS channel 27 crystal. It uses rechargeable Nicad batteries.

What is this worth in todays market? Will there be any demand for it?

I have seen adaptors for 2.4ghz like the Anylink. I have read of mixed results and that this can be hard to set up. Should I consider this route? I have seen new 6 channel 2.4 ghz transmitters as low as $60. I am interested in rc for small lightweight models.

I would appreciate any thoughts on the matter. Here are some pictures:
https://flic.kr/p/J53A76Untitled by vonfilm, on Flickrhttps://flic.kr/p/J53AD8Untitled by vonfilm, on Flickrhttps://flic.kr/p/J53B9rUntitled by vonfilm, on Flickrhttps://flic.kr/p/J53BGkUntitled by vonfilm, on Flickr
What should I do with my 72mhz transmitter?
Konrad
Platinum Member

Kudos: 35

Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 03:15:35 PM »

Truth be told it is probably best to let this go.

But if you want to use it, I highly recommend the Fr Sky radio add ons. Very very good value, rock solid RF link and great telemetry. I assume your radio uses a RF module in the TX. $40 you can have a solid RF link withe this module no cables to get hooked and unplugged. And there is a huge assortment of receivers, again at a great price
https://alofthobbies.com/frsky-xjt-jr-graupner-type-16ch-duplex-transmitter-telemetry-module.html

But for $220 you get so much more withe the Taranis Plus.
https://alofthobbies.com/frsky-taranis-plus-transmitter-soft-travel-case.html

Cut it twice and it's still too short!
Konrad
Platinum Member

Kudos: 35

Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 05:31:45 PM »

Sorry I just learned the JR XP662 does NOT have a module TX RF deck. I suspect what has the greatest value here are the servos .

Cut it twice and it's still too short!
pd1
Bronze Member

Kudos: 8

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 06:44:59 AM »

I was in my local hobby shop last week and bought one of these:
http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdId=SPM1000

Sektrum DXe,  $60.  Seems a lot easier than messing with a module. The link is for a DXe and a receiver for $80.
Watch Horrizon Hobbies, they have a lot of sales. Your JR servos will work with this equipment.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 07:29:43 AM by pd1 » Logged
dephela
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2016, 07:17:31 AM »

There is nothing wrong with using a radio on 72mHz today. Their operation is still legal and they are in use everywhere. It might be difficult to find receivers if you want a few more for other planes, other than that, no problem!

Dennis
jbfly
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2016, 11:42:55 AM »

I still use 2 72mhz radios routinely & never have to wait as very few people use them any longer.
Make sure you get net batteries as your are probably no good. Mr NiCad/batteries America
is a good supplier at a decent price.

jbfly 
T_om
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2016, 10:41:50 PM »

There is nothing wrong with using a radio on 72mHz today. Their operation is still legal and they are in use everywhere. It might be difficult to find receivers if you want a few more for other planes, other than that, no problem!

Except the OP said he was interested in using the radio in small models.  And he is not going to find much in the way of tiny receivers for that radio.

In today's market, Spektrum has pretty much tied up the "small" end of the market.  FrSky makes very good gear, I use a Taranis myself.  But with a Spektrum module installed for small cheap stuff.

Tom
takEon
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2016, 08:09:19 PM »

I use the Berg 4L rx on my 72 mhz stuff.  They are no longer made, but still easily found NIB.  They are small in size and weight ( 4g), durable, and have a voltage range of 3V to 8.4V.  They do have the long antenna, and it seems even longer on a small plane.  I really enjoy getting to use them on smaller planes taking advantage of the new high voltage servo's and new battery chemistry.  You can put something in the air at a considerable weight savings.  I have been using them for over 12 years with no issue at all.  I recently picked up a few more for $20 apiece.  I know it seems odd to invest in old tech, but they really are fantastic.  I hope someday the 2.4 market will a protocol to allow Castle to offer something in the future.

With all that said, 2.4 is the future.  I just have some very nice 72 mhz TX's that I want to get more use out of before they retire.  At this time I have 7 2.4 Systems, but my 72 mhz still outnumber them.
lincoln
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2018, 11:37:12 PM »

If the battery cells are all at 1 volt or above, you might try charging and cycling them. I've found that nicad battery life is quite variable and that periodic testing is the only way to be safe.

There are a number of options for small, lightweight models. Depending on just how light you need to go, you might try a Corona synthesized receiver. The 4 channel is supposed to be less than 5 grams and full range. If that's not light enough, there are lighter options.  Skyhooks and Rigging lists one that's supposed to be under a gram, though I think it's probably short range and single conversion. I'm pretty sure there are some other indoor RC vendors who carry really light stuff, but I can't remember who they are.

I don't consider 72 mHz obsolete. Seems to me that more of the bugs have been ironed out.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: