Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 14, 2018, 12:38:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: breaking fuselages on cat launch glider  (Read 582 times)
sleepy gomez
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: July 15, 2016, 12:00:56 PM »

I often break a fuselage when it lands on a wingtip and cartwheels with a whip action. To solve this I make a fuselage of 1/8 balsa reaching from from the LE of the wing to the TE of the tail. Lay this flat and attach the wing and stab. Make a stub front fuse of 1/8 ply or spruce from the TE of the wing stretching to however far you desire for the nose length. Taper the stub from the wing TE forward to below the wing LE. This stub is mounted vertically under the flat fuse. The fuse now presents more side strength in a cartwheel. I do add a strip of carbon above and below the rear fuse.  I have not broken a fuse like this. A note: For launch I grasp the fuse close (1") to the front mounted wire hook. This has solved a problem for me, hope it helps someone else.
skyrocket
Gold Member

Kudos: 26

United States United States

nothing hard is ever easy

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 10:19:07 PM »

Nothing beats a carbon fiber stick...I use the 1/8" CF hollow sticks the R/C guys use...even better is the CF sticks used on kites if you can get them...only down fall is they are constant diameter...the upside is they go straight up with no wobble like a balsa fuselage does and doesn't change with humidity...for my money, you can't beat the Hossier Daddy design for simplicity and a quick build
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: