Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
July 17, 2018, 07:12:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Heron (Multiplex) assembly  (Read 5777 times)
Konrad
Platinum Member

Kudos: 35

United States United States

Topic starter
Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: January 16, 2018, 07:35:04 PM »

Please be aware that a micro switch is another component that can fail. Generally it is best not to use switches, but....

As things are not totally in the control of Multiplex, such as what RX is used they have to make the best educated guess as to what will work with what.

On a scope I have seen the voltage spike with the YEP ESC. You might want to ask Multiplex technical services if this is possible with the ZTW (their OEM) ESC. Or better yet take a look for yourself. Better DVO meters should catch the voltage spike.

At 5.1V the servos might be self protecting but at higher voltages the servo can develop enough power to strip its own gears.

If going to 4 cells drop down to a 10x6 or 10x5 prop to keep the load below 40 amps.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 09:22:51 PM by Konrad » Logged

Cut it twice and it's still too short!
Konrad
Platinum Member

Topic starter
Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: April 11, 2018, 12:27:49 PM »

I’ve been reading of connector failures with the Heron’s wing connectors. While I may have been the only guy that liked the Cularis’s auto plug in system it was great in that one didn’t need, or where prone, to pull on the leads themselves. To overcome this limitation with the Heron's system I’ve added a pull tab to the male connector. I drill a small 0.60mm hole in the back of the connector and then thread some dental floss making a hoop that can go around my small finger.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Heron (Multiplex) assembly
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 01:36:51 PM by Konrad » Logged

Andyjbj
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Netherlands Netherlands

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: May 17, 2018, 12:52:20 AM »

clever intervention!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Konrad
Platinum Member

Topic starter
Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: June 12, 2018, 11:37:54 AM »

It's a sad day here in the USA as Horizon Hobbies (Tower Hobbies) is no longer carrying Multiplex models. To the best of my knowledge the only source for Multiplex models in the USA is Hitec's Weekender Warehouse. Not sure if they have a dealer support program.
http://www.weekenderwarehouse.com

Andy from Sandy
Copper Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: July 13, 2018, 12:38:21 PM »

Hi Konrad

Having read through this and your other threads it made sense to join this forum. They make very good reading.

I think I am looking for a Multiplex model on the basis that I don't want to be fettling balsa wood. As a helicopter flyer the prices seem very good to me.

I am not new to RC and have been flying helicopters for several years now. A very long time ago I used to fly fixed wing and did build a Balsa Cabin Sonata which went very well off a bungee launch.

I take on board your comment about getting a glider with ailerons and as I fly helicopters I am no stranger to coordinated turns, required with heading hold gyros.

In the UK the RR version works out about the same price as the kit and Multiplex electronics. That would be the version I would get unless you consider your changes of electronics and using carbon instead of the included fibreglass to be a real necessity?

So would I be wise to get a Heron?

I see so many posts about models with ailerons not for beginners. I do like the idea of having all the functionality and growing into it as opposed to buying 2 or 3 models to get here.

I look forward to reading your thoughts and anyone else's for that matter. Thank you.

Kind Regards,
Andy
Konrad
Platinum Member

Topic starter
Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: July 13, 2018, 01:19:01 PM »

Andy,
Thank You!

The RR Heron as shipped is a fine model and does NOT need much in the way of upgrades.

As a heli pilot I assume you now have the left right being backwards when fly towards you under control. If so then you DON'T need a basic fixed wing trainer. You will need to learn about stalls and their relationship to speed and model attitude. But as you have flown fix wings in the distant past this shouldn't be  problem.

We do a beginner a great disservice telling them not to learn with ailerons! All modern fixed wing trainers need to be equiped with ailerons! Teaching a begineer to yaw the plane to control roll is just WRONG! It often take over a year to UN-Teach this! Now trainer should be very stable and slow to respond giving the begineer time to think. And with todays simulators the real world model shouldn't be too slow to respond.

The Heron is NOT a begineer's ship. This is because of the advanced programing need in the set up of the radio. If you have a modern Mutiplex radio there are quick start programs that get around this.

As a model there is one weak spot and that is the flap servos should be metal geared. You should be able to upgrade the servo with metal gears from Multiplex or upgrade the servo to one with metal gears.

The Heron is a wise value, but not a great entry level ship.

Now I don't know you, but I think the Easy Glider 4 might be a better ship to start your jouney towards high performance soaring. As you develope you will still keep flying the Easy Glider 4, as the ailerons really extend the usefull range (skill level) so that as an expert you won't be bored flying the Easy Glider 4. http://www.weekenderwarehouse.com/easy-glider-4-receiver-ready/

Now if you have or your club has a glider driver as a teacher to help you with the programing then the gliding performance of the Heron makes is a wise purchase.

All the best,
Konrad

Andy from Sandy
Copper Member

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: July 13, 2018, 03:30:38 PM »

Yes nose in flying is one of those orientation things you do quite early on.  Smiley

I have seen the Easy Glider 4 and it was my first thought.

My radio is fully programmable and capable of the required setup. The bit that I would need to work on is camber and reflex but it will do it. I am using the Mikado V-Bar Control. It was when I saw this video that got me thinking about the Heron
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Cc2qT82xK8

The club has some excellent pilots of all disciplines. Maybe we have some that have flown full house gliders. I will use that in my decision.

Many thanks,
Andy

Andy from Sandy
Copper Member

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: July 13, 2018, 03:39:49 PM »

One other thing have you done a sound check on any of these models. I am interested to know the noise level please?

Thanks,
Andy
Gordone
Copper Member

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: July 13, 2018, 03:51:19 PM »

.....The Heron is a wise value, but not a great entry level ship.

Now I don't know you, but I think the Easy Glider 4 might be a better ship to start your jouney towards high performance soaring. As you develope you will still keep flying the Easy Glider 4, as the ailerons really extend the usefull range (skill level) so that as an expert you won't be bored flying the Easy Glider 4. http://www.weekenderwarehouse.com/easy-glider-4-receiver-ready/.....

All the best,
Konrad

I impulsively purchased a Heron RR after trying several "entry level" gliders with disappointing results.  I studied the configuration of a six servo sailplane and decided I needed a trainer glider before attempting to fly the Heron.  I went with the Easy Glider 4 and I second Konrad's recommendation most heartily.  It is very well constructed and is a forgiving yet aerobatic flyer.  There is more room in the "tub" for electronics than the Heron and it is possible to add flaps fairly easily for when you want to expand to six servo flying.  (It will take a little "modeling" to add flaps.)  The only downside I've found is the wing spar - it is a single square fiberglass rod and may cause damage to the wing saddles or even break in a bad landing.  The Heron has an ingenious method of wing mounting that can prevent serious damage in a bad landing.  i.e., catching a wing tip and somersaulting down the runway.

Another 2cents.

Cheers,

Gordone
Konrad
Platinum Member

Topic starter
Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: July 13, 2018, 04:10:34 PM »

Yes, nose in flying is one of those orientation things you do quite early on.  Smiley

I have seen the Easy Glider 4 and it was my first thought.

My radio is fully programmable and capable of the required setup. The bit that I would need to work on is camber and reflex but it will do it. I am using the Mikado V-Bar Control. It was when I saw this video that got me thinking about the Heron
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Cc2qT82xK8

The club has some excellent pilots of all disciplines. Maybe we have some that have flown full house gliders. I will use that in my decision.

Many thanks,
Andy
Looks like a nice detailed set of directions for the Mikado radio system. The only thing I'd do different is put the motor on a slider (pot), I like full motor control when doing aerobatics.

If you have club members that knows how to set up 6 servo gliders, then with your R/C experience I'd go with the Heron. But be aware that the Heron is a bit heavier than the beginner 2 meter ships. This means that on a real bad landing there will be more damage than with the lighter "trainers". But the performance is well worth it!

Have an experienced flier set up the crow, reflex and thermal setting along with the corresponding elevators compensation? Remember it really is the programing that make this a performance ship. Once the radio and trim are set the Heron is easy to fly even by raw beginners. Now don't confuse "fly" with "Soaring". By "Soaring"  mean learning to read the air and find lift.  By "Fly" I mean not stalling and easy to land

It is the ability to use full reflex and camber that allows the Heron to perform! (Read; thermal and at the same time run away from sink)

Noise is a function of prop tip speed. The stock 3 cell set up is pleasant with the stock 12x6 prop. No whine like we see in some pusher flying wings! I have never seen a stock powered RR Heron so I have no Db readings for you.

All the best,
Konrad

Andy from Sandy
Copper Member

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: July 13, 2018, 04:32:35 PM »

Thanks Gordone

Crash damage may or may not be a factor. A helicopter crash starts at around £60 just for a set of main blades!

Slowly bending and at around half the cost the Easy Glider 4 is making a lot of sense.

A chat with the guys at the club, a chat with my LHS who has both models in stock and a chat with myself about spending actually not a lot of money.

Thanks again.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: