Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
June 25, 2018, 03:37:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Flying Aces Sky Gull  (Read 4470 times)
Kevin B
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: June 10, 2018, 07:57:50 PM »

So I am getting around to putting this up into air.  I have a 14 strand 24 inch motor.  How many winds am I looking at putting into this?
calgoddard
Gold Member

Kudos: 14

FAC Member

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: June 11, 2018, 12:18:17 PM »

The chart generated by Don DeLoach and George Mansfield shows that 85% breaking turns for a 14 x 1/8-inch Tan Super Sport rubber motor that is 24 inches long is about 815. The chart is in Excel so I can't post it here. This is only an estimate.  

If you really want to know how many turns a rubber motor of this configuration made from a given batch of rubber will take, you will need to wind a test motor until it actually breaks.

Some fliers would wind a motor of this configuration that is half the actual length, or one-quarter the actual length, to save on rubber.  Of course in that case you would need to double (or multiply by four) the number of turns at breaking.

Don't forget to lube your test motor before winding it until it breaks.

Of course wind the rubber motor to find out actual breaking turns outside of a model. Wear safety goggles when winding a rubber motor this large until it breaks!

Some F1B winders even have shields.

You might see a tightly wound clump of rubber bouncing and gyrating on your floor Smiley

I would suggest test winding with a torque meter since it would be handy to have a base line for breaking torque as well.

When flying your model after it has been trimmed, always wind your rubber motor to a given torque that has produced good flights consistently in the past.  Don't wind to a given number of turns. The latter technique can produce varying torque depending on a number of factors.  Launch torque is critical to a good flight.

Flyguy gives excellent advice. I wish I could build models as beautifully as he does.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 12:42:25 PM by calgoddard » Logged
Flyguy
Gold Member

Kudos: 35

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: June 11, 2018, 03:17:49 PM »

So I am getting around to putting this up into air.  I have a 14 strand 24 inch motor.  How many winds am I looking at putting into this?
The chart generated by Don DeLoach and George Mansfield shows that 85% breaking turns for a 14 x 1/8-inch Tan Super Sport rubber motor that is 24 inches long is about 815. The chart is in Excel so I can't post it here. This is only an estimate.

That's a good estimate. I've been using the 14 strand x 24" motor on the Hurricane and once so far on the Sky Gull. I've been getting in 800 turns (for an un-broken in motor) fairly consistently, broken a few pushing more than that, but I'd guess you could probably get 850 with a broken-in motor, I'll find out when I can finally get flying again this year, right now little league has the field booked everyday until July.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: