Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 14, 2018, 11:34:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Early '30s kit build - Wanner Wedell-Williams Racer for FAC Competition  (Read 4947 times)
tom arnold
Gold Member

Kudos: 26

United States United States

Casper Wyoming

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: October 04, 2018, 11:54:13 AM »

Great looking plane and enviable workmanship, Mike. To be making flights close to a minute with all that drag of struts, gear, radial engine, and flying wires is even more impressive. Super effort and super results!
MKelly
Gold Member

Kudos: 65

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: October 04, 2018, 10:08:11 PM »

Thanks Tom.  It looks a bit clunky compared to Paul B's model, but much of that comes from the quirks of the Wanner design (starved horse from too few stringers, those bulbous fillets and the oversize fin).  The same things that make it clunky are the things that give it character, so I like it for what it is.  I think with the additional nose weight I'll be able to put a bit more torque into it, and I think it will be able to carry probably another four inches of motor length.  I'll get it repaired, evaluate the torque with shorter motors here in San Antonio, then see what it can really do at the Texas Scale Champs in early November.

Good luck with the Sea Trials, please post a summary of how the carrier take-off events work out.  I spent an hour or so today inventorying my carrier aircraft kits and plans to strategize for WESTFAC VII, still planning to do the Strutter and the Savage, Sea Fury is on the maybe pile, may add a peanut Guardian to the list.

Cheers,

Mike
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Kudos: 24

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: October 05, 2018, 03:59:07 PM »

Hello Tom
 Mike and I plan to attend next time. See you next year. Time just  now to plan and build.

MKelly
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: October 25, 2018, 10:31:02 PM »

Got a chance to repair the wingtip on the W-W this week.  Went fairly smoothly, cut away the tissue, glue back together the damaged wood (all the pieces were still there), patch the tissue and transfer over the racing numbers.  One very nice thing about doping on the markings - a generous brushing of dope thinner over the cut-away tissue released the numbers intact, allowing me to re-apply them onto the patched tissue.  There is a bit yellower shade on the new tissue, not sure if that's tissue from a different batch or I just didn't get quite the same chalk density on it.  No worries, it's not obvious if you're not looking for it.

After what seems like two months of rain and wind here in Texas tomorrow is forecast beautiful and calm - time to go flying!  Good luck to all the folks trying their carrier aircraft at the Sea Trials in Buckeye AZ this weekend.

Mike
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Early '30s kit build - Wanner Wedell-Williams Racer for FAC Competition
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 168

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: October 26, 2018, 06:56:11 PM »

C'mon Mike it can't be that easy Smiley You have a deft hand - I couldn't see the trim line on that inboard rib.

John
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 07:10:41 PM by OZPAF » Logged
MKelly
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: October 26, 2018, 10:01:14 PM »

Thanks John.  Went flying today and gave it a low-winds test flight - all is well.

Mike
Balsa Ace
Gold Member

Canada Canada

FAC Member

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: October 27, 2018, 06:29:22 AM »

... and the Savage, Sea Fury is on the maybe pile, may add a peanut Guardian to the list.

Cheers,

Mike

It would be great to see a Sea Fury built by you,your Wedell-Williams Racer turned out Top Notch,Mike.

Scott

Hawker Sea Fury FB.11
HMCS Magnificent
VF-871   RCN
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: October 27, 2018, 02:37:36 PM »

Please let us know how the table launch worked out for you. Maybe show a few pictures.
Got a chance to repair the wingtip on the W-W this week.  Went fairly smoothly, cut away the tissue, glue back together the damaged wood (all the pieces were still there), patch the tissue and transfer over the racing numbers.  One very nice thing about doping on the markings - a generous brushing of dope thinner over the cut-away tissue released the numbers intact, allowing me to re-apply them onto the patched tissue.  There is a bit yellower shade on the new tissue, not sure if that's tissue from a different batch or I just didn't get quite the same chalk density on it.  No worries, it's not obvious if you're not looking for it.

After what seems like two months of rain and wind here in Texas tomorrow is forecast beautiful and calm - time to go flying!  Good luck to all the folks trying their carrier aircraft at the Sea Trials in Buckeye AZ this weekend.

Mike
MKelly
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: November 03, 2018, 09:42:43 AM »

It would be great to see a Sea Fury built by you,your Wedell-Williams Racer turned out Top Notch,Mike.

Scott

Thanks Scott - I've always loved the Sea Fury (and most other Hawker fighters).  I'll try to do it justice.

I was able to fly the Wedell-Williams last Friday - kept the winds low as I'd already sent two other models off the field, but it flew fine and should be good to go for the Texas Scale Champs this coming weekend.

Ratz, this thread can be moved to the completed models section.  Many thanks to those who followed along and offered advice, comments and encouragement.

Mike
Balsa Ace
Gold Member

Canada Canada

FAC Member

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: November 03, 2018, 01:28:39 PM »

Great inflight photo,Mike.

Scott

Hawker Sea Fury FB.11
HMCS Magnificent
VF-871   RCN
MKelly
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: November 12, 2018, 11:05:19 PM »

Thanks Scott.  Took the W-W to the Texas Scale Champs this weekend.  Sunday's Greve/Thompson Trophy mass launch was held in blustery and cold conditions.  Flight were short and bouncy, but the W-W managed to hang in sufficient to get third.  Here's a picture of Rich Adam's beautiful Folkerts about to blow by the W-W - Rich went on to take the win.

Mike
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 168

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: November 13, 2018, 03:00:21 AM »

Nice looking Folkerts Mike - very low drag. You did well to get a third with all your extra drag - thick wing rigging and undercarriage.

John
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: