Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
November 24, 2017, 07:43:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: West Wings Tempest Mk V for FAC WWII Combat?  (Read 11079 times)
Work In Progress
Gold Member

Kudos: 6

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: February 24, 2017, 03:02:47 AM »

It's such a good model, it seems a super reliable performer and looks great in the air.
MKelly
Gold Member

Kudos: 29

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: April 02, 2017, 10:36:35 PM »

Refreshed the markings, put on a spinner and took the Tempest to Gainesville, TX for the TCC/FAC Sq 17 Spring Warm-Up this weekend.  Saturday was pretty windy but managed to find two Heinkel He-100s to fly with the Tempest for WWII combat.  Beat one, lost to the other by about 5 seconds in the second round to take second place.

I flew it this time with a slightly shorter 3/16" motor (two 15" loops) and the rear peg in the forwardmost of the two peg positions.  The flights looked really good - fast, steep climb into the wind, solid cruise, decent glide. The model handled the wind very well.  I might have been able to take Grant's He-100 in the final round but I chickened out and only wound the short motor to 4.5 oz-in.  Pleased nonetheless...

Flight weight was 68g.

Cheers,

Mike
tom arnold
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

Casper Wyoming

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: April 02, 2017, 10:47:01 PM »

Good job and congratulations. I am happy to see you have beat that dreaded flat, low wing instability. Gives me hope for my Sea Fury. Can you show any photos of the spinner and free wheeling assembly?
MKelly
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #178 on: April 02, 2017, 11:01:13 PM »

Thanks Tom. 

I meant to attach this pic from Gainesville to the post above.  Absolutely nothing fancy or innovative about the spinner or free-wheeler - just glued the kit's vac-formed shell to the 7" Peck prop, using the prop's ramp freewheel. Downthrust puts the spinner a bit below center.  I fiddled about for a few minutes with the kit's balsa backplate and decided I'd rather spend time making the Waco flyable before leaving for the meet.

I'm still tempted to try a 4-blade prop with a bit more pitch.  The wife has a yogurt tub in the fridge that is just about empty, and the ShopSmith is still set up for turning...

Cheers,

Mike
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: West Wings Tempest Mk V for FAC WWII Combat?
MKelly
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: July 15, 2017, 02:33:52 PM »

Haven't posted much on this one lately.  I cartwheeled it in May, tearing the tissue and cracking a spar on the left wing.  After setting it aside for several weeks I repaired the spar and seamed the torn tissue with Titebond - not really pretty, but it works and I didn't have to re-cover and re-paint.

I'd like to fly this in WWII mass launch at WestFAC, but really need more duration, so I'm playing with different motors.  I've switched to using the forward motor peg location so changing the rubber will have less effect on the cg.  My short and well-braided 2 15" loops of 3/16th rubber was working, but giving short motor runs and only 30-35 seconds duration.

Today I tried 3 21" loops of 3/32" rubber, and after a little noseweight and a shim for a little less downthrust this looks quite promising - video at:  https://youtu.be/90MqPOlz6SU/

It sure was a nice day for flying...

Cheers,

Mike

Copbait73
Gold Member

Kudos: 10

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: July 15, 2017, 08:03:39 PM »

Could you show your motor peg location?
MKelly
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: July 15, 2017, 08:10:08 PM »

Sure - see pic below.  Forward hole has the peg, aft hole (kit position) is empty.
Copbait73
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: July 15, 2017, 09:58:30 PM »

Wow, that is a large move. Are you using a wobbly peg to allow long motor with short
P-P?
MKelly
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: July 15, 2017, 10:11:50 PM »

Yes - the motor peg is 1/8" o.d. tube, and the peg end of the motor is wrapped around a short length of 1/4" o.d. tube with flared ends and secured with a dental band.  Seems to keep things from bunching up.

Mike
kittyfritters
Gold Member

Kudos: 18

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: July 15, 2017, 10:24:13 PM »

I use a 1/4" drapery tieback ring at the back of my motors.  Works very well.  They are available at sewing stores like Jo-Ann's in plastic and metal.

Qua sublata omnia praecepta legis
OZPAF
Titanium Member

Kudos: 38

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: July 16, 2017, 08:27:13 PM »

Without the stall after the end of the motor run Mike you would have had a very good flight - it was pretty good as it was.

Even with the precautions do you think that was a case of temporary bunching of the motor? If it was perhaps a sleve on the rear end of the motor would help.

John
Sky9pilot
Titanium Member

Kudos: 46

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: July 16, 2017, 10:41:26 PM »

Nice repair...good luck with the re-trim and gentle breezes.
Tom

Best Regards,
Sky9pilot
    "If God is your Co-pilot, consider switching seats!" 
http://www.stickandtissue.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl
malc
Silver Member

Kudos: 12

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: July 17, 2017, 01:43:50 PM »

Just discovered this and read it from the beginning - wonderful job!

Do you have any problems with the Tamiya acrylic coming off with the masking tape?

Malc.
MKelly
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: July 17, 2017, 03:01:36 PM »

Malc, thanks - it was a fun build and has been both challenging and rewarding as a flyer.  If (when) I make another one I'll take more extreme steps to keep weight out of the tail.

Regarding the Tamiya acrylics lifting, yes and no.  I sprayed the Tempest with Tamiya acrylics over doped tissue.  When I thinned the paints using denatured alcohol I had some trouble with the paint lifting, even when taking steps to reduce the tackiness of the masking tape.  I also had some blushing particularly with the dark ocean grey.  When I re-sprayed after some patching I tried thinning the paints with lacquer thinner.  This seems to produce a much better bond between the paint and the doped tissue - didn't really have any trouble with washi tape or yellow Frog tape lifting the paint.  I did still take the precaution of rubbing the tape on my forearm a couple of times to reduce the tack.  The lacquer thinner also seemed to eliminate the blushing.

Tamiya sells both alcohol and lacquer thinners for their acrylics.  I used hardware-store lacquer thinner because I had it on hand and it is much less expensive than Tamiya's thinner.

With the lacquer thinner I've been quite pleased with the results, and will use that combination again on future models.

Be sure to post some pics of your P-40 once you've got it all dolled up - that framework is just beautiful!

Hope this helps,

Mike
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 04:46:07 PM by MKelly » Logged
malc
Silver Member

Kudos: 12

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: July 17, 2017, 05:04:05 PM »

Mike, thats a great tip, thanks, I only used alcohol thinner for my Dash 8, will look for the Lacquer thinners at this weekends model show. (IPMS - not flying!)

I'm not half as good at paint as the balsa bit so don't get your hopes up!

Malc.
MKelly
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: October 06, 2017, 08:09:10 PM »

Don't you hate it when you go out for some trim flying, do light winds and get a great first flight, then whack into a stooge on final?  Yeah, me too.

Been working on improving the Tempest's duration in anticipation of this month's WestFAC WWII mass launch.  I finally got around to replacing the diamond hook with a proper reverse S hook, and made up a new 6x24"x3/32" motor.  Wound it up to 2 oz-in for a test flight, got over 30 seconds with a nice left-right pattern and a smooth transition to glide, only to clip a stooge post at about 1 foot altitude.  Repairs will commence this weekend...

Cheers,

Mike
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Kudos: 21

Ignore
« Reply #191 on: October 07, 2017, 12:58:30 PM »

Yes it was a great flight until the bitter end. Fix that bird up and I will try to have the stooge safely stored away the next time.
Crabby
Platinum Member

Kudos: 64

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #192 on: October 08, 2017, 11:12:25 AM »

Battle scars add charisma. My air force looks like a game 7 NHL locker-room!

The Threadkiller!
MKelly
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #193 on: October 31, 2017, 09:55:04 AM »

Well, I got the Tempest patched up and took her to WestFAC.  Wound her up for the first round of WWII mass launch, lined up with everyone and psyched myself up.  There was a moderate breeze blowing, and I've had some success previously launching a little steep into the wind with a right bank, but I launched too steep so instead of climbing quickly and rolling out for a nice flight the Tempest climbed quickly and rolled over for a quick dork.  Given the quality of flyers and models present I'd have been very lucky to survive into the second round even if I'd had a great launch.  The Tempest was undamaged, but I think it's time to relegate it to fun flying and think about a lighter model for future WWII competition.

Ratz, this thread can be moved to the "completed builds" section.  Thanks again to all who offered advice and encouragement over the last year!

Cheers,

Mike
Copbait73
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: October 31, 2017, 02:55:24 PM »

It was fun following and talking with you about building one, then reality set in over emotion. Some subjects are just not cutout for ML. Mine was a 24” FW-190D.
What are you considering for WWII?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 03:06:04 PM by Copbait73 » Logged
MKelly
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #195 on: October 31, 2017, 03:48:09 PM »

It was fun following and talking with you about building one, then reality set in over emotion. Some subjects are just not cutout for ML. Mine was a 24” FW-190D.
What are you considering for WWII?

Thanks - not really sure yet what to build next for WWII.  The Diels P-47N (believe you had some success with a P-47) or Ki-84 interest me and are sitting in my closet, but I'm debating with myself about doing something a bit larger, maybe 24-30" span.

Mike
Copbait73
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #196 on: October 31, 2017, 04:15:22 PM »

I love the P-47 configuration but consider Deil’s models too small, too fussy and therefore needlessly detailed and heavy for combat. If you want a good kit start choose early Comet. Use 5# wood and adapt modern nose and wing pass thru design. Comet are minimal and fit the scale requirements without excess.
Better still I recommend reviewing the past 10 years of Flying Model FAC combat build articles and assemble whatever you find interesting. Deloach, Starleaf, Henn and Rees come to mind.
Crabby
Platinum Member

Kudos: 64

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #197 on: October 31, 2017, 04:38:37 PM »

Mike why not do the Ta152? great plans out there and it was Bill Henn's prize stallion for years....I have the article and the plan he used. I don't think you have to nazi it up as I think it was used in other air forces.

The Threadkiller!
flydean1
Gold Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #198 on: October 31, 2017, 08:44:12 PM »

Crabby, I think the TA152 and/or 190D9 were used in very small numbers by the Russians. Who helped themselves to any airframes the retreating Nazis left behind. 
MKelly
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #199 on: November 02, 2017, 09:53:45 AM »

Thanks for the suggestions guys.  I believe it was a large TA-152 that won the mass launch at Geneseo this summer.  I owe the wife a few cabinetry projects after my building spree this summer, so I've got a little time to peruse plans and options before starting another WWII ML bird.

Cheers,

Mike
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up
Print
Jump to: