Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
June 27, 2017, 04:40:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Bad Axe  (Read 2986 times)
isismk2
Gold Member

Kudos: 20

United States United States

nothing hard is ever easy

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2016, 01:28:19 PM »

Good looking model !...George certainly knows his beans...
skycafe
Silver Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2016, 06:44:58 PM »

I am almost finished with covering Bad Axe. Here I am sticking on the tissue strip stiffeners I use on just about every non scale plane I build. Particularly if the design is a little floppy, like most embryo wings. tomorrow, I will apply a set of the strips that go in the opposite direction in each rib bay. Than I will pin down the wing with any warps I want set, and shrink the strips. Then cover in the usual way. It stiffens the wing by a very large factor, and makes the wing much less likely to develop unwanted warps with a tiny weight gain. Too little to fret about.
Try this, you will like it.

OK, this just might be 'tip of the year!'   (roll it into next year)
ScienceGuy
Gold Member

Kudos: 10

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2017, 11:04:17 AM »

http://scienceguyorg.blogspot.com/2017/03/bad-axe-embryo-thermals-do-not-care.html  Is my build report on the Bad Axe, I think too light of longerons were used causing me trouble with covering the fuselage. This is wood you provide, not in the kit. 

Bill Kuhl
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Bad Axe
isismk2
Gold Member

Kudos: 20

nothing hard is ever easy

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2017, 02:09:13 PM »

Still a good looking model and nicely designed...I used to make that mistake in choosing too light a wood for longerons so i started to look for rock hard 1/16" sheet
and strip it...the only problem with that is the ability to place the razor blade at the right angle...I know this is against common practice but soft 3/32" square in place of 1/16" squares works out pretty well with a slight weight gain but at around 20 grams you can still use 4 x 1/8" braided with a carved 8" prop...
ScienceGuy
Gold Member

Kudos: 10

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2017, 02:12:03 PM »

Using 3/32" might be worth a try if I build another one.

Bill Kuhl
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: