Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
November 24, 2017, 12:46:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: No-cal homemade prop  (Read 984 times)
BernardB
Silver Member

Kudos: 3

Netherlands Netherlands

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: September 21, 2016, 01:28:29 PM »

I'm planning on building the SE5A No-cal model as can be found on the plan gallery.

I'm only wondering what kind of prop should I build for this model. I was thinking about putting on a prop i'm using for my Sainte Formula model. Prop diameter is 150 mm with a 25mm propblade chord. For my Sainte models this is a good prop but is it too small for no-cal?

The wingspan of a sainte is 330 mm.

I can always enlarge this prop but I need some advice on this.

Bernard
Sky9pilot
Titanium Member

Kudos: 46

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 03:15:50 PM »

Paul Bradley has props on his NoCal plans that would work for your model. He even has an Se5a there.  He also has a pitch guage for setting up the props there as well.  Here's a link to his site: Click Here
Sky9pilot

Best Regards,
Sky9pilot
    "If God is your Co-pilot, consider switching seats!" 
http://www.stickandtissue.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl
BernardB
Silver Member

Netherlands Netherlands

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 03:52:01 PM »

Thank you,

This will help a lot. I think I will use his plan with some small changes (I don't want to bend the round pieces). Only thing problem will be printing the plans on A4 paper. It is slightly different in size then what you use in America.

Bernard
dorme
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 09:51:09 AM »

Bending the 1/16" balsa on the SE5a is not really a problem.  Use a soldering iron (not gun) clamped in a vice.  Spray the balsa with water lightly and drag over the barrel of the iron as you increase the radius.  It takes some time and practice but you gain a sense of it in a short time. Spray every time you put it to the iron. It make take several passes before you complete the radius. 
frash
Gold Member

Kudos: 11

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 10:17:48 AM »

Consider building both a 150-mm dia prop and a 200-mm dia prop. Start with the smaller one, and when it works okay, try the larger one. The larger one will offer higher performance, I think, but I have never tried a biplane No-Cal. The Bradley plans site is well known and respected by everyone.

Fred Rash
Rudder flutter
Bronze Member

Kudos: 6

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 04:35:08 PM »

I'm planning on building the SE5A No-cal model as can be found on the plan gallery.

I'm only wondering what kind of prop should I build for this model. I was thinking about putting on a prop i'm using for my Sainte Formula model. Prop diameter is 150 mm with a 25mm propblade chord. For my Sainte models this is a good prop but is it too small for no-cal?

The wingspan of a sainte is 330 mm.

I can always enlarge this prop but I need some advice on this.

Bernard
Hi Bernard
It sounds like you are Preparing models for Nijmegan yes?
I have just build my first Sainte and a new NoCal to compete there. I would suggest you scale the Sainte prop up to 200 mm dia. for your NoCal.

Richard Crossley
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 124

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 11:24:43 AM »

Bernard,
if your printer does A3, you won't have any problems.  Printing at A4, you will have to use the "Poster" or "Tile" setting in your printer settings and print at 100% or "Original/Full size".

Pete

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
Snaky Stringer
Bronze Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2017, 03:34:24 AM »

I have recently discovered that my HP A4 printer (the cheapest in the range) will print letter and legal sheets if you set it to do so in the printer software. Yours may well do the same. It is not usually possible to buy legal size paper here but one can cut sheets from A3 paper - a bit tedious but worth it in my opinion
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: