Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
January 17, 2017, 10:06:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cloudbuster  (Read 1440 times)
pedwards2932
Silver Member

Kudos: 6

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: October 15, 2016, 07:52:25 PM »

I built this Cloudbuster from plans on Outerzone.  All parts were cut out with my craft cutter.  I am using 2 loops of 1/8" rubber and about 450 turns.  I was trying to keep it in the field I was in which is smallish.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVpfyJ4ldq0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsDbQHVUamY
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Cloudbuster
Balsa Ace
Gold Member

Kudos: 13

Canada Canada

FAC Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 08:32:48 PM »

Nice Cloudbuster model.

Scott

Hawker Sea Fury FB.11
HMCS Magnificent
VF-871   RCN
pedwards2932
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 07:29:33 AM »

Thanks.  This is my second attempt at this model as I lost the first one to a tree.  I wanted something fairly simple to see if I could use a craft cutter to cut out the parts and it works great.  I also am trying to work on my trimming skills.  I had to add some more weight to the front because you can see on the longer flight it was looking a bit light in the nose.
OZPAF
Titanium Member

Kudos: 36

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 06:43:09 PM »

I liked the way it was climbing in the second clip Phil but I'm a bit curious about the developing left turn at the end of the flight.
Are you using a bit of left rudder to hold the right inside wing, up ?

So far in my limited experience I prefer to use wash in on the right wing with a bit of right rudder(if necessary) and right thrust as needed for the power turn.

I'm just curious as I've noticed many models with this left turn coming in just before they land, and I try to aim for a constant right turn.

These craft cutters are a neat way of producing parts

John.
pedwards2932
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 09:30:17 AM »

I think the turning is the result of the prop has a few degrees of right thrust that as the power comes off it starts to straighten out......for some reason this plane does not like going into a left turn.  It has an adjustable flap on the rudder but it is set straight.  I am going to build another hub for the prop with no angle then use shims to get it to trim.  The way it is now I have to rotate the hub and it is hard to be precise. It is amazing what a few degrees does to the flight performanc.
OZPAF
Titanium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2016, 05:06:48 PM »

Good luck with it Phil. I think I would double check also to see that it doesn't have either a fair bit of wash in on the right wing or more wash out on the left. This may be countered by the right thrust under power and then roll the model to the left as the thrust dies.

However I agree that it will be difficult to get a repeatable trim with a lose thrust button/bearing.
I'm certainly no expert and these are just my thought.

John

pedwards2932
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2016, 09:21:19 PM »

Flew my Cloudbuster again today.  Still working on my video technique.  First video was just trying to make sure I had the plane in the picture.  I had about 300 turns on it.  Second video I took it to the larger field and it had about 800 turns.  Third video still about 800 turns but the wind must have shifted because it headed over to the other field then behind the apartments and ended up in the tree in front....I edited out my comment at that point.  It seems to straighten out when the winds start to run out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcrvqHxbrJw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifsjILvzGoc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn3MorRXO0A
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Cloudbuster
OZPAF
Titanium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2016, 12:56:07 AM »

It looks like you may have caught a weak thermal on the third flight Phil. The wind shift is a possible indication of the thermal and it had quite good height.

It seems to have lots of potential  - just needs a bit more trimming. It appears to me still, that it has strong crossed trim - ie a fair bit of left rudder(or left roll input) which you are countering with more right thrust9above that needed to counter the torque).

If the models does have a strong surface generated9as opposed to torque0 left roll then this would be worse under higher wind conditions.

if you can reduce the left rudder/ or left roll then you will only need to counter the torque with right thrust, and you may end up with a better climb(less bank) and glide.

Have you tried some glide tests at your flying CG without the prop and motor - this should show up any built in roll tendencies.

However this is only my 2c worth and it's hard to be more specific.

Good luck john
pedwards2932
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2016, 07:30:05 AM »

Not really sure on that I just know if it doesn't fly very well at all turning left.  I have very little right thrust on it and 0 degrees on the rudder tab. I put about 1/16 inch washout on the wingtips and the wing is pretty straight.  I'll try to glide it and see what it does. I had the thrust purposely set so it would circle right fairly quickly so it wouldn't get too far from me.  I have noticed that once the motor winds down it wants to straighten out.  I'm pretty sure if I had gone to full turns on it I probably would have lost it as the field size is limited.  I thought I was going to lose it on that last flight because it was heading for the river on the other side of the apartments.
scigs30
Gold Member

Kudos: 55

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2016, 08:28:58 PM »

What are you using to film the flight?
Oldtime Flyer
Gold Member

Kudos: 9

"Keep it Simple"

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2016, 01:13:31 AM »

It looks to me like you need wash in on the right wing panel. Doing so will increase the lift in your power pattern. The model will climb to the right and not stay in that flat turn.
pedwards2932
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2016, 08:11:05 AM »

I'll try the.wash in as I have it drydocked fixing the fuselage.  I used my Samsung s7  to film.  I have a clamp that clips to my hat brim and once I get the angle right all I have to do is watch it fly and it films what I see.  I use voice commands to start the video.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: