Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
November 22, 2017, 11:42:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Rubber Radio Pacific Ace.  (Read 563 times)
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 21

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: April 05, 2017, 10:06:48 AM »

Fascinated by Larry's antics in the middle of Manhattan I felt I had to try this radio controlled rubber stuff.  So after a bit of discussion decide upon the Pacific Ace.  And here it is - done!  The radio is single channel - lemon RX, HK servo and single cell 90Mah battery (had one spare). Nothing much else to say really save it has only had a few test glides because it has been rather breezy at the times when I might otherwise have flown. The idea is I can wander up the road to a field of an acre or two in the evenings......

The radio gear (excluding the TX) cost no more than about £15 and weighs about 6g in all.  Bit fiddly to fit in the confined space under the wing but have learnt a bit in the process.  I think that producing an RDT from the bits I used would be pretty easy and a lot cheaper than those available - and only a couple of gms heavier.  With an even lighter servo might be less!

It has a 20gm motor which I think might be  a bit fierce.But that  was the suggestion from a chum who has flown vintage rubber models for many years and seems to have more than an idea.  But I do want to get a bit of height to be able to play.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Rubber Radio Pacific Ace.
Flyguy
Gold Member

Kudos: 25

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 01:14:39 PM »

Hurray, someone else is finally trying rubber RC! It's been 5 years but I've been thinking sooner or later someone will take the bait!  Smiley  And I think the PA is a great choice, really nice flier, pure relaxation and fun.

That is a beautiful PA David, really nice work. Looks huge, it must be the 40" version? Really looking forward to what you have to say when you wander up the road and do some flying. A two acre field seems huge compared to what I'm used to (about half that size)!

ZK-AUD
Gold Member

Kudos: 22

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 02:52:04 PM »

Lovely work indeed sir, and I thoroughly approve of the various affiliations represented on the wing and fuselage.

I have a rather lovely Evans Jaguar at home that I am currently re-covering but have seldom flown in any case due to the amount of space it needs.  I had wondered whether a servo on the rudder might allow me to get more use out of it (though make it ineligible for competition).  You may have just inspired me!
Balsa Ace
Gold Member

Kudos: 16

Canada Canada

FAC Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 08:36:18 PM »

Very nice.

Scott

Hawker Sea Fury FB.11
HMCS Magnificent
VF-871   RCN
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 06:43:16 AM »

Thank you gentlemen - no Larry it is the standard one - maybe my wife has small arms?  Nice calm day today but other duties am afraid.

Another chum has made the pint that in a Boomer the rudder will not be much use to get it down but then if you start putting all the "gear" in it will cease to be remotely FF.  So will take my chances - quite possibly an RDT wild not ben much good either?

Yes Mike still have some treasured original SMAE badges to remind me when............. 
Flyguy
Gold Member

Kudos: 25

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 08:20:51 AM »

I've heard that here several times, but I think the people saying these things have never flown rubber RC, it appears to be a common misunderstanding. You are not trying to 'come down' in a boomer, you are flying away from the boomer, a totally different thing. Thermals don't affect your ability to steer! I've had no problems whatsoever flying away (and so out) of huge thermals. Good examples of this are my Sky Gull flying video (I mention the boomer there), the Winterhawk IV video is another example, they both hit incredible boomers in those videos, however I have no problem at all flying away from the thermal (NOT trying to come down in the thermal). Anyway, you'll probably find this out for yourself when you get that beautiful PA in the air, which I hope is soon!
OZPAF
Titanium Member

Kudos: 38

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2017, 07:39:56 PM »

Very tempting David - very nice. you'll have plenty of fun with that.

Happy flying.

John
Kevin B
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2017, 06:53:25 PM »

Nice job!!!   I can wait to hear your report on how it flies.

DavidJP
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2017, 09:30:00 AM »

I wil like that as well. - typically when weather is suitable I am not available and vice versa!  I wonder sometimes if building plastic models removes the temptation but I found that monotonous on occasions!  Thanks for your comment.
OZPAF
Titanium Member

Kudos: 38

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2017, 06:58:34 PM »

No chance of flying over Easter?

John
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: