Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
June 19, 2018, 09:39:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: VMC cookup?  (Read 16754 times)
Andrew Darby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 58

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #200 on: September 06, 2017, 11:48:36 AM »

I've used both and haven't really had a problem that I have noticed, but then again I'm not too fussed about cranking in high winds.  I guess an S hook is the best.

The best round ended ones I have used are the Guillow's ones, the wire is very hard and very strong....

Klunk
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 79

Ignore
« Reply #201 on: September 06, 2017, 12:18:29 PM »

Thanks. Perhaps I'll just go with the kit bits then and stop worrying. It's not as though I can't change it later.

Wings are now all on. You may be able to spot a cut at the bottom of one of the jigs where I had to split and then repair it. This is because when fitting the left wing I ignored the instruction NOT to glue in the interplane struts until the jigs had been removed. "Why not?" I thought, "I'll just glue everything at once and be done with it."

Because then the inside jig will then be trapped forever, that's why not!  Embarrassed
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: VMC cookup?
Andrew Darby
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #202 on: September 06, 2017, 01:26:56 PM »

Funny you should mention this ATM.  I'm just drafting up the Tripehound plan.  With the inter plane struts passing through the middle wing you have no option to trap the jig and cut it off!

Therefore there are parts for three jigs on the sheets...

The best bet if you do trap it by accident is to cut the strip, then remake it  with fresh strip lining everything back up on the plan

Andrew

Klunk
TheLurker
Silver Member

Kudos: 11

Ignore
« Reply #203 on: September 06, 2017, 01:58:43 PM »

It's looking really good Pete.  Can't be far off ready to test.  Have you got an indoor space large enough for trimming flights or are you going to be stuck waiting for a window in the weather?
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #204 on: September 06, 2017, 04:44:00 PM »

I think I got away with the jig repair. I'll know next time! Trimming will probably be indoors, but possibly outdoors depending on when I get the first chance. I plan to maybe get over to Rochdale a few times (where the ex-Clayton members are now meeting) or there's always Nijmegen to which I hope to bring it!
Anyway, it's now about done so here are a few pics. Weight as seen (ie without rubber, or any added nose weight) is 31g. This whole kit has been a joy to build.
Tim Horne
Bronze Member

Kudos: 10

Ignore
« Reply #205 on: September 06, 2017, 05:20:38 PM »

That looks very good Pete, and I didn't know that Frank Muir was an SE5 pilot! Looks just like him Smiley. The prop looks very good, especially in the last pic.
I went to Rochdale last Sunday for the first "Norwind" meeting and can report that the venue is very good. A bit larger than Clayton Green; definitely higher though it still has an ironwork roof structure, and a lot brighter.
Looking forward to seeing the SE5 flying.
Andrew Darby
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #206 on: September 06, 2017, 05:21:11 PM »

Looks great Pete, and should fly well at that weight.

Andrew

Klunk
skyraider
Platinum Member

Kudos: 88

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #207 on: September 06, 2017, 07:34:59 PM »

Knock out job, Pete!  I hope trimming will be a breeze.
With those large wings it should be a stable floater. Looking
forward to your flight results.

Skyraider
danmellor
Titanium Member

Kudos: 50

Ignore
« Reply #208 on: September 06, 2017, 08:09:19 PM »

I would usually use Teflon washers. They seem more friction-free than the beads I've used in the past.

Cheers,

Dan.
danmellor
Titanium Member

Kudos: 50

Ignore
« Reply #209 on: September 06, 2017, 08:12:04 PM »

That looks fab, Pete!!

Dan.
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 45

Ignore
« Reply #210 on: September 07, 2017, 03:43:55 AM »

I have a habit of drilling the noseblock to include my best-guess down and sidethrust, and a bead or similar stops the prop hitting. This happened on my SE
Bill
F F modeller
Titanium Member

Kudos: 56

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #211 on: September 07, 2017, 04:58:58 AM »

Great job Pete  Smiley

I use brass or teflon washers .... but as Bill says, the bead will probably help with this model. The prop was catching on my Aerographics SE5 too.

billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #212 on: September 07, 2017, 05:25:41 AM »

Are you going to rig it Pete?
Jack Plane
Gold Member

Kudos: 22

Ignore
« Reply #213 on: September 07, 2017, 05:30:48 AM »

Are you going to rig it Pete?

I was just about to ask the same question!

Looks really super Pete... and the absence of the Vickers and Lewis guns emphasises the SE's fine lines.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #214 on: September 07, 2017, 07:20:08 AM »

Thank you, all. I was thinking of keeping it nice and simple and NOT rigging it, but will listen to arguments either way. Smiley

I've forgone the bead for now, but may well put it on if the prop starts hitting. I wondered about re-drilling for thrust angles, but thought I'd better at least try it as is first, especially as Andrew does test his designs before they go into production!
I have carved out a couple of lead-holding niches on the back of the nose block though.
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #215 on: September 07, 2017, 08:19:24 AM »

Thank you, all. I was thinking of keeping it nice and simple and NOT rigging it, but will listen to arguments either way. Smiley

Rigging it will make it very much stronger. Bait bayonets and 2lb fishing line crimped with fine aluminium tubing. If the centre section breaks it is hard to put it back together. The struts going down to the fuselage bottom are, in my opinion, stronger in the KK version.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #216 on: September 07, 2017, 10:18:35 AM »

Tempting. What about the drag penalty in what is already not a very light or streamlined model?
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #217 on: September 07, 2017, 11:41:48 AM »

Tempting. What about the drag penalty in what is already not a very light or streamlined model?
And I must admit I was rather looking forward to not bothering to rig it, with the excuse that an unrigged state is in keeping with it being a fairly simple Kit Scale model. The strut attachments don't feel weak, sturdily fitted into their slots as they are. Of course it only takes one argument with a chair leg, I know...
Andrew Darby
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #218 on: September 07, 2017, 12:53:49 PM »

Not sure how the rigging will help in an argument with a chair leg, and that is likely to be the way it will get crocked indoors... (As we all know  :'(). The note is on the plan so the choice is yours either way so I guess you shouldn't be penalised with or without it.  That was my intention in any case.

My SE prop did not hit - and by some margin, by design there is already 3 degrees of down on it, and provision for a further 6-7 degrees at a pinch with the standard prop including a bit of prop wobble.   Bill did you fit both parts NB1a which push the nosebutton out?

Andrew

Klunk
TheLurker
Silver Member

Kudos: 11

Ignore
« Reply #219 on: September 07, 2017, 02:22:31 PM »

She looks the business Pete.  Hope the trimming proves easy.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #220 on: September 07, 2017, 03:34:15 PM »

Thanks! I'm still inclined to leave the rigging off, but might change my mind. Roman, will your Tiger Moth be rigged?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 03:49:15 PM by Pete Fardell » Logged
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #221 on: September 09, 2017, 10:35:56 AM »

Okay, after a lot humming and hah-ing, Bill's niggling words, "Are you going to rig it?" finally cracked me. I compromised though and just added a few threads between the wings rather than going the whole hog. I hate doing rigging (as you might have guessed) but am glad I did as it does look better I think. I used ordinary grey thread and Dan's method of cut off fish hooks.,

Apologies for a rather similar set of photos to the last lot then, although they're taken in daylight this time, which I think helps too...
rgroener
Platinum Member

Kudos: 27

Switzerland Switzerland

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #222 on: September 11, 2017, 01:09:12 AM »

Pete, what a neat Se5a! She looks great, I hope that you take it to Nijmegen? I would love to see it in real Smiley

I thought to do the rigging on my Moth. But have not started yet... I need to find a quiet moment to do it. I try to do it without any swearing Roll Eyes
I am also still thinking about making a pilot. I have the pilot from my chilton, but maybe it is time for a new one.
I am not realy ready for Nijmegen, but hey... it makes it more interesting.... I need some pressure to gain momentum...

Roman
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #223 on: September 11, 2017, 03:25:13 AM »

Thanks Roman. I'm glad you're rigging the Tiggie. If you'd said, "No, I'm leaving off the rigging as that's more in keeping with the style of the kit" I would NOT have been pleased!  Grin

Of course I'm still wondering if I should add more rigging to the SE5; that's one of the reasons I hate it: it's never-ending and unless you do every last wire then you never know where to stop!
I shall look forward to your pilot. Make sure you don't put a big scarf on him so we can see all of his deftly carved features. Also, goggles up please so that the fine details of his eyes and eye lashes etc. are completely apparent.

I shall certainly be bringing the SE to Nijmegen. Not sure how trimmed it will be. It's raining here just now and windy so, when you've got a minute, the usual order of glorious Swiss weather would be appreciated.
Jack Plane
Gold Member

Kudos: 22

Ignore
« Reply #224 on: September 11, 2017, 03:37:43 AM »

Pete, you simply have to double up the flying wires, although the landing ones should of course be single, and don't forget all the aileron and tail-surface horns and wires!   Grin
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Up
Print
Jump to: