Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 21, 2017, 10:32:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: VMC cookup?  (Read 9638 times)
Pete Fardell
Titanium Member

Kudos: 51

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #225 on: September 11, 2017, 03:48:47 AM »

Pete, you simply have to double up the flying wires, although the landing ones should of course be single, and don't forget all the aileron and tail-surface horns and wires!   Grin
Jon, you're a cruel and evil man. It's not big, it's not clever, and nobody's laughing.
Pete Fardell
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #226 on: September 11, 2017, 03:55:16 AM »

Seriously though, one of the things which always appealed to me about kit scale is the fact that you don't need to worry much about accuracy or fine details; the rules give you a perfect excuse to just build something to the plan quickly and fly it. I'm starting to realise that Andrew's "small details can be added" can be something of a double edged sword! (but only if if you've got the kind of brain which taunts itself  Cheesy)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 05:01:10 AM by Pete Fardell » Logged
Jack Plane
Gold Member

Kudos: 10

Ignore
« Reply #227 on: September 11, 2017, 05:38:40 AM »

Jon, you're a cruel and evil man. It's not big, it's not clever, and nobody's laughing.

I know, I know... I've let myself down, my school down, my entire family and all our ancestors down, my mates, my dog...  Sad

A good compromise though would be just the basic inter-plane rigging, no doubling or any malarky, just enough to 'suggest' WW1 biplane.

If a KS monoplane doesn't need - and would be penalised for - all those exposed control surface cables and horns, then neither your SE nor my Camel shall have them!  Cheesy
Pete Fardell
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #228 on: September 11, 2017, 06:16:47 AM »

A good compromise though would be just the basic inter-plane rigging, no doubling or any malarky, just enough to 'suggest' WW1 biplane.
Which is sort of what I've done, although I baulked at the side cross wires between the struts and the two extra flying wires which go to the middle of the top wing. So long as you get a general criss-cross effect I think it still says 'WW1 bipe'.

Rigging aside, one thing I like about Andrew's VMC designs is that they include just the vital details which help define each specific type. On the SE5 it's the weird tail skid, rocker covers and long exhaust pipes, the flat nose with its slats of course, and maybe the odd flared front uc legs. Even without adding any extra details, these things already make a relatively simple kit into a much more convincing model.
Snaky Stringer
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #229 on: September 12, 2017, 04:40:47 AM »

I just learned from the co-proprietor of my local model shop that following on from a visit to a Birmingham show he is about to receive some VMC kits as a sort of straw in the wind. I tremble in anticipation.  Shocked Most of the modellers round here seem to be RC types but of course some of them may be into miniature RC. I wonder which kits he'll get? I have a KK SE5 and remember seeing an SE5 flying beautifully some thirty odd years ago at a meeting in Nottingham. The builder died shortly afterwards. Unfortunately I can't remember his name. The KK kit seems to have an awful lot of wood in it and so far I haven't been really tempted, tending to prefer WW2 low wingers on the whole, apart from a few exceptions.
Andrew Darby
Platinum Member

Kudos: 40

Ignore
« Reply #230 on: September 12, 2017, 05:05:37 AM »

Last time I was up at the VMC works a few weeks back they had just done a shop counter pop up "variety box" so it maybe that he will have a few different ones.  The price the shop will charge is the same as if you buy it from the VMC website direct (the post is free) if you wanted more choice.  Although I think that is good to try and support your local model shop.  Grin.  I supported my local one since boyhood, but it just shut down as the old man died and his wife didn't want to carry on and neither did anyone else  Sad

The VMC SE5a is no way as light as something that you could do with laminated tips and 1/16" square fusalage longerons etc, but there is a lot less wood than the KK one (although having said that my KK one flies very well!)

I wouldn't have gone for a bipe at one time.  But folks like Pete, Dan Mellor, Monz, ZK-AUD etc made me re-evaluate my thoughts on them.  I really enjoy building and flying some of the earlier stuff now! Cool

Andrew

Hogwash I tell thee!
Snaky Stringer
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #231 on: September 12, 2017, 05:51:52 AM »

I agree that supporting your local model shop is a good idea, especially as there fewer and fewer of them nowadays and those that remain tend not to stock rubber power kits. However, buying online is easy and usually cheaper, although postage charges from the good ole USA are a bit steep. I have a huge stash of unbuilt kits, but my daughter has just found a chap who has a thirteen year old son who is plane crazy and in the Air Cadets. They are currently building a Guillows Spitfire - the little one, which has much too much wood in it and a horrible plastic cowl but makes quite a pretty model and may fly. The small Guillows Hellcat is a good flyer and with a bit of lightening and a balsa cowl could probably be very good. Generally, I prefer Comet kits. I think I may have found a good home for some of my surplus stash. I also like the small Guillows Warhawk, which also needs a lot of wood reducing surgery.

I have studied the VMC catalogue and there is certainly a very wide choice. I have a lot of the KK and Veron kits and also quite a few downloaded plans of the ones that seemed to have disappeared before I got into modelling in the 'seventies, when I was already old enough to know better but was utterly hooked. Modelling had a very beneficial effect on my psyche, which was a bit bruised at the time as a result of a failed mariage. 
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: