Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 18, 2017, 05:05:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: VMC cookup?  (Read 14587 times)
Pete Fardell
Titanium Member

Kudos: 53

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #250 on: November 19, 2017, 12:45:48 PM »

In the end I just bent the rudder a bit to the right and got some respectable enough flights at Nijmegen to fiinsh 7th in KS with it. Plenty good enough! Here's a couple of vids from the Nijmegen thread as filmed by Jon (Jack Plane) and Tim Horne. Flight photo by Roman Groener. Thanks, guys!
It's a cracking little kit in my opinion. The question now is which VMC offering to build next- the Camel I've already got or the Triplane that's barged itself onto my Christmas list?

link to video

link to video
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: VMC cookup?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 01:05:37 PM by Pete Fardell » Logged
Pete Fardell
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #251 on: November 19, 2017, 01:10:24 PM »

Andrew, do you know if the Triplane will be out for Christmas?
Andrew Darby
Platinum Member

Kudos: 40

Ignore
« Reply #252 on: November 19, 2017, 02:47:50 PM »

I signed off the laser cut files, graphics and plan last week, and at that point the instruction booklets were at the designers -along with the kit box artworks.

I can check how things are progressing and let you know...

Andrew

Hogwash I tell thee!
Pete Fardell
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #253 on: November 19, 2017, 03:40:27 PM »

Thanks, Andrew. Sounds promising!
TheLurker
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #254 on: November 25, 2017, 10:13:04 AM »

The following is a Lurker Industries Public Service Broadcast in association with the Dept. of the Bleedin' Obvious, The University of Much Binding in the Marsh by Witteringford Parva .

Apologies if what follows is already known to you.

1. If you're using sections of insulation as wheel retaining collars then it's very much easier to fit very small and narrow bore sections to axle stubs as shown in the attachment than faffing around with pliers or tweezers.  It's even easier if you file the piano wire ends fairly flat after cutting them and you can use the piano wire carrier to make cutting the collars to length much easier as well.

2. VMC kit parts seem1 to be cut to the line printed on the plan or possibly marginally inside rather than to the outside of the line.

If you didn't deal with item 1. properly the first time around item 2 becomes apparent when you have to scratch build a new wheel cos one has come off on landing and is irretrievably lost in long grass .  If this happens and you do what you were taught aeons ago in woodwork / metalwork and cut then shape to the outside of the line you will find your new wheel is slightly over diameter when compared with the other, original, wheel.  Enough to be discernable, and therefore annoying, when you fit it, but not enough to be noticeable until you come to fit it.  

The good news is that a replacement wheel for the Camel only takes an hour or three to build, paint and fit from uncut sheet if you are prepared to live with shortcuts like a using a single inner disc rather than two with masking off to paint the tyre and hub.

1 - I noticed something similar when I built the replacement engine block for No. 5 but at the time I put it down to my general ham-handedness.  Other possibilities include my photocopier not copying absolutely exactly to size.  Either way something to watch for if building replacement bits.  
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Andrew Darby
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #255 on: November 25, 2017, 10:35:48 AM »

Hi Lurks,

The cuts are down the middle of the lines as that is the true path, CAD lines are effectively infinitely thin, so when you define a thickness (in the case of the VMC plans 0.3mm) to plot the plan it makes them 0.15mm thick either side of the infinitely thin line. It should be and will be far more accurate than what is shown on the plan, and far far more accurate than a photocopy of the parts.  Plotters and inkjets can achieve around 1% on the scale due to they way they work, laser printers and copiers have pretty poor scale.

To make sure they are cut along the true path I compensate for the thickness of the laser beam, as one would do on a CNC milling machine etc via the "cutter comp"

In summary the parts are accurate, the plan, and or photocopies of the plan will not be as accurate...

I hope that this helps.

Andrew

Hogwash I tell thee!
TheLurker
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #256 on: November 25, 2017, 11:51:46 AM »

In summary the parts are accurate, the plan, and or photocopies of the plan will not be as accurate...

I hope that this helps.
Thanks, it does.  It also makes me feel marginally better about today's result and, given my unenviable ability to lose bits from my aeroplanes, I suspect it's knowledge that I shall be obliged to make use of... repeatedly.   Smiley

chr$
Lurk
Jack Plane
Gold Member

Kudos: 15

Ignore
« Reply #257 on: November 25, 2017, 01:02:27 PM »

Great hat!   Grin  Wink
RalphS
Gold Member

Kudos: 18

Ignore
« Reply #258 on: November 25, 2017, 03:37:42 PM »

1. If you're using sections of insulation as wheel retaining collars then it's very much easier to fit very small and narrow bore sections to axle stubs as shown in the attachment than faffing around with pliers or tweezers.

If you want the insulation to really grip and have less chance of losing a wheel try this little tip.  Select a piece of insulation that is too tight to slide onto the wire.  Cut the insulation to the required length and drop it into a small receptacle that contains cellulose thinners.  Wait about 10-15 minutes and pick it out using tweezers.  Unless you have some rare form of insulation it will have swollen sufficiently to slide easily onto the wire.  Leave it alone and do some other job or have a snooze.  The insulation will dry out and return to the original size and grip like a vice.
I have used this technique for 40 or 50 years when we also used it in place of heatshrink tubing on electronic bits.  Don't spread this information around - keep it under your hat.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 03:56:09 PM by RalphS » Logged
Jack Plane
Gold Member

Kudos: 15

Ignore
« Reply #259 on: November 26, 2017, 04:30:53 AM »

Excellent tip Ralph. I must remember to collect it from the hat when I next need to fix wheels...
TheLurker
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #260 on: November 26, 2017, 03:19:42 PM »

Excellent tip Ralph.
+1.  And safely stowed sub hat Smiley   

I did think about using some heatshrink tubing I've had lying around since the 6502 was cutting edge, but don't trust myself with a soldering iron close to balsa these days.
danmellor
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #261 on: December 16, 2017, 12:50:04 PM »

I think I've comprehensively blown my chances of finishing another VMC kit before the end of this...

Cheers,

Dan.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: