Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
June 24, 2017, 04:44:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Building Balsa TLGs: Suggestions/Comments Welcome  (Read 664 times)
GliderFan
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: November 16, 2016, 08:11:37 PM »

I have been searching for a solution like the FF HLG/TLG for a couple of months.  My motivation is to provide our son and his two similarly aged cousins, age range 9 - 12, with some common ground to remain close and to teach my son the pleasure and creativity of technical skills.  I am very interested in examples such as the DiscUSKid, Sweepette 36D, Hoosier Daddy, etc.  I already find names here like Jim Buxton and Lee Hines.  It is good to be in this company!  I have these plans and will make enhancements to these basic designs when recommended by those with experience unless there are obvious better choices available that can also be built inexpensively.

I have read some here already this evening.  Although, more technical references would be helpful.

Be mindful that I need to begin with a set of these gliders.  Perhaps, as many as nine to ten so, costs could creep with this in mind.  Regardless, I must ensure this is a success...family issues can become complicated yet, I want to get back into glider design rapidly, for my own benefit.  I am having difficulty identifying sources for materials for this class of glider but, made some progress with balsa suppliers earlier this evening.  The carbon tapered shaft concerns me regarding its potential cost but, I have been unable to obtain any information regarding sourcing these.  I am quite willing to reinforce with composite materials where useful/necessary.  I did review the YouTube showing the carbon fiber x-braces on a TLG wing.
danberry
Gold Member

Kudos: 16

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 09:04:47 PM »

You need Stan Buddenbohm's Dyno Mite.
NormF
Gold Member

Kudos: 9

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 09:37:09 PM »

X2 on Dan's recommendation. Stan also has a beginner TLG, Easy 24. Here's a link to his catalog: http://www.discuskid.com/Documents/Stan%20Stuff%20Catalog%20-%202014-2015.pdf

NormF

You need Stan Buddenbohm's Dyno Mite.

GliderFan
Copper Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 10:53:00 PM »

I communicated with Stan via email earlier today.  He understood my situation and may become a supplier of some components I need yet, he referred me here in view of my need to build from scratch.
danberry
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 12:16:55 AM »

Stan is the good guy.

The Easy 24 would be advantageous for you- less wood. Bals tends to be 36" long. A 24" wing can let you use the off-cuts if you're paying attention. It also probably doesn't need to be more than 1/4" thick. 8-9lb wood is a good choice for the wing, light wood doesn't hold up so well. For your purposes I cannot see any need for cf diagonals.
sweepettelee
Platinum Member

Kudos: 18

Simplicate & add more lightness. Keep sanding!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 02:11:26 PM »

I agree heartily with all prior posted replies!   Grin
My PM just sent to GliderFan trumpets the same info as yours, plus I mentioned doing intensive searching on HPA past subject postings.

Leeper
GliderFan
Copper Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2016, 06:20:09 AM »

I have been reading a lot here on HPA and have found some very useful comments with regard to construction, trimming and flight analysis.  I have also located several YouTube videos of FF HLG/TLG.  I am also reviewing the NFFS website to determine how I can obtain older publications.

With regard to the open surface area requirement for these gliders and my desire for the kids not to lose them too soon as a result of catching a thermal I find myself somewhat biased toward the Dynomite.  What can you tell me regarding these issues?  If either of these two gliders require significant surface area would it be useful for me to consider the smaller span Stray Cat X or possibly Lee's Q-Cat 18-2 and build this as a HLG rather than a catapult glider?  I think it sensible for me to prevent from forcing situations where my wife's sister and her husband are required to drive 15-20 miles to locate an adequate flying field.  I think one of the boys still walks to school at the local elementary while the elder son rides the bus to middle school.

A useful reference for me to convey to this audience is the 22" foam gliders we have used on our property in the past.  These went out of production several years ago but, we had a lot of fun with these and were even able to get flight paths ~100 yards with favorable weather and terrain.    We live in an open area between housing developments so we have some space for exercise without driving anywhere.  With this experience in mind, I suspect either the Easy 24 or Dynomite will surpass the 22" glider performance.  However, I must be careful in that these FF HLG/TLG are unique from this 22" foam glider.  In fact, this post will also serve to remind me I need to evaluate the county where my wife's sister lives in southern FL.  They are close to the Gulf of Mexico so, this is a different environment to that which we have here in the Great Lakes region.  Some of the videos I have seen suggest an open soccer field may be sufficient.  What do you suggest regarding this issue?

I cannot wait!

Thank you,

Rick
duration
Gold Member

Kudos: 6

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2016, 06:46:55 AM »

Rick,

You might also consider catapult gliders---smaller, cheaper, easier to build. More importantly, they require less strength & coordination to fly, so might even-out physical abilities between 9 and 12 year olds.  Climbs are fast, so kids might need some supervision early-on for safety.

As far as size of flying site, the cat gliders might require slightly less space. In any case, the secret is to fly early in the morning or late afternoon when wind and thermal activity are reduced.

With either TLG or CAT gliders, some sort of DT is a big help in preventing loss. A viscus timer would be the simplest and cheapest option. Some of Stan's gliders offer this as an option---worth it for the bigger models.

For fun flying, another model type to consider is a small rubber-powered with sheet balsa construction. The Frank Zaic designed X series have been out of production for years, but plans are available on internet. Should be sick and cheap to kit up some---easy for kids to assemble.  These have a fast climb and a rather poor glide, which is actually a good thing for
small flying sites.

Louis
danberry
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2016, 10:48:02 AM »

If you fly during thermal times---- let's say from 10AM to 4pm, you're gonna lose planes that don't have dethermalisers.
For the sake of ease and low expense, consider the catapult glider as an alternative.
A Vartanian is easy to build and will give you a LOT of bang for the buck. Stan's litte 12" CLG is also a good choice. I wouldn't recommend going smaller than the 12" clg.
DynoMite would do just fine as a HLG but without a dt you will lose it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: