Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
June 19, 2018, 11:47:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Scientific 1/2-A Hellcat CL  (Read 944 times)
ghostler
Silver Member

Kudos: 6

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: April 28, 2015, 10:39:57 AM »

Yesterday, I received from Dave Cowell of Aerowerkes, Farmington, NM a prototype kit of the 1964 Walt Musciano designed 18 inch (457 mm) Scientific 1/2-A Grumman Hellcat. Dave has done a really nice job on remodeling this old classic, to include vacuum forming the fuselage top and cowling, just like the original I built in 1965 as an adolescent.

The kit ran for only a short time, my guess a couple years max, from what I could recall of the ads in the modeling magazines at the time. It must have not been as popular as the others with similarly built up plastic fuselage top like Sizzlin' Liz Mustang, which I built in the early 1970's. It still has a place in my heart as this was my first CL build, received with a .020 Cox Pee Wee as a birthday gift. Having built several Comet and Scientific rubber powered stick and tissue kits prepared me to complete it 50 years ago.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Scientific 1/2-A Hellcat CL

George Hostler
Clovis, NM, US
skyraider
Platinum Member

Kudos: 88

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 11:48:01 PM »

George,
    The Hellcat should go together pretty quick. On the fuselage, when joining the rear
at the tail post, Add that extra top brace block just above the tail wheel doubler. Looking
forward to seeing the Hellcat come alive again.

Skyraider
ghostler
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 12:16:00 AM »

Thanks Dave for the tip, found the piece you were talking about. Those, I'll put in after the glue dries. It was a challenge enough to get the fuselage sides together and curved toward the back. Dave uses really good wood here, no skimping on quality.

I have several Cox .049 engines to choose from, a Babe Bee, a Sure Start and a 290 Donor engine from a Cox Corsair RTF. I have 1/4 oz and 1/3 oz Perfect tanks if I decide to go with a tankless engine. The Babe Bee has a 5 cc or 0.17 oz tank. A Golden Bee or Black Widow has an 8 cc or 0.27 oz tank. A 1/4 oz tank provides about the same capacity as the Black Widow. a 1/3 oz tank provides twice the capacity of the Babe Bee tank. Now it is easy to see why Cox coined them "Thimble Dromes".  Cheesy
Re: Scientific 1/2-A Hellcat CL
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 12:26:04 AM by ghostler » Logged

George Hostler
Clovis, NM, US
skyraider
Platinum Member

Kudos: 88

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 10:22:03 AM »

Nice start on the fuselage George.  When I was doing the test build,
it took me back to my early days of CL flying. Those were the good 'ol days.
Do you have some hinge material for the stabilizer/elevator?  If not, I would
recommend using TYVEK.  Apply it with tightbond II wood glue. I've been using
it for years for hinge material and never had an issue. Just a suggestion.

Skyraider
C/L Gee Bee
Silver Member

Kudos: 3

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 04:30:28 PM »

George...
Very excitable article here! I just got an email off to Dave to get info (price/shipping) on this Hellcat.
(I also built one in '65, my brother in law and I were getting BACK into C/L building/flying then)

Mine was powered by a Cox .049, BTW: thanks for all the info on tank capacity.
This one will have the advantage of a wider choice of power, out of my 'archives', as did yours. 
ghostler
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 02:19:17 PM »

Dane Martin, a friend, freely sent me a prized gift a few days ago, a prized OK Cub .049R engine. Speaking about his kind and free willing spirit, this is not a good condition used engine, it is new! For an OK Cub, this long stroke engine has extremely good compression. It is the reed valve engine, which I have heard is actually a decent performing engine. Comparing to the Cox .049 tank backed engine, this engine has the same bolt pattern, thus it is a direct drop in.

Many thanks, Bro. Dane. The kit sat on a shelf for a year. I was undecided what engine should I use to power it. Now, I have a period correct engine for it. Although the Walt Musciano kit was released by Scientific in 1964, OK Cubs were still being sold. Many earlier Scientific 1/2-A CL kits show an OK Cub .049A on the plans. Scientific shows a Cox Babe Bee.

Why does this kit have a special place in my heart? 50 some years ago, I got the kit as a birthday gift when I was in 4th or 5th grade, mid 1960's. That had a Cox .020 Pee Wee. It was my first (but not last) experience with silkspan to cover the wing. I built it and painted it with dark blue dope. We may relive of the battle of the Philippine Sea soon. Grin

George Hostler
Clovis, NM, US
ghostler
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 08:33:41 AM »

Tony G. on Stuka Stunt mentioned there are two versions of the "R". I put the engine next to an OK Cub .049A I have on a CG Swordsman 18. The length and tank size on it are the same as the "A". The glowplug is about 1/4" taller on this than the "A". It appears I have the .06R. Dane mentioned it as a .059, which I thought was a typo, but apparently not. Then this should provide decent power, at least akin to the Cox reedies.

The .049A had a touch less power, which would explain with reduced cost by using screw machines, Leroy Cox was able to underbid the competition with his .049 reed valve engines. Prior to Cox dominating, there were a large number of .05 - .06 (0.8 cc) manufacturers, OK, Fox, K&B, Enya, OS, and etc. Even AC Gilbert, the train folks had a .074 with Babe Bee like power, but it was suggested retail of $6.98 where as Cox was $3.99. The Cox .049 Babe Bee had 0.056 HP whereas the Wen Mac .049 Rotomatic was 0.048 HP. (The Wen Mac is a front rotor venturi with glow plug head, probably representative in power to the OK Cub .049A.) It was no wonder that with extremely good and consistent quality control with decent power at reduced cost, Leroy outdid them all.

George Hostler
Clovis, NM, US
ksn3n3
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2016, 05:58:58 PM »

One of the previous replies had some info on the OK Cub .049s, and on a sneaking suspician I looked in my "box of stuff" and lo and behold is an OK Cub!  I thought I had one.  But it doesnt appear to have any markimgs on it at all. How do I tell what model it is; an A or R or soemthing else, or even if it is an .049 or something else?  It does not have a tank back.  Its mounted to what looks to be a stock metal mount that came with it whihc uses an external tank.  Thanks.
ghostler
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2016, 07:29:15 PM »

The OK Cub .049A is the one with integral red plastic tank that mounts like a Cox .049 Babe Bee. The OK Cub .049B is the one with an optional red anodized aluminum tank in back and with beam mounting lugs as well as rear mounting lugs on the crankcase, similar to the old Wen Mac and Testors .049 front rotary valve engines. I've also included a photo of it mounted on a test stand using an external tank.

The OK Cub .059R has the a similar tank to the "A", but the tank also has a breathing venturi in the back like the Cox reed valve tank engines. The former front venturi has been blanked off, the tank front now has the reed valve assembly similar to the Cox's. I've mislabelled my "R", it is not a .049R but a .059R (sometimes called .06R), yet the .049 version is similar in appearance.

George Hostler
Clovis, NM, US
ksn3n3
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2016, 11:38:56 AM »

Thanks.  Not sure what I have as it doesn't match any of those. Its got the OK logo,on the front of the crankshaft and has a rear intake and thats all I know about it.  Ive attached a picture but the quality isnt very good...
ghostler
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2016, 06:10:10 PM »

ksn3n3, that may be an O&R engine. See http://sceptreflight.com/Model%20Engine%20Tests/O&R%20Midjet%20049.html. It has the same beam mounts and head, the crankcase nose is longer in the article. Engine you have may be an earlier or later one. Someone else may be able to chime in to nail it down further.

George Hostler
Clovis, NM, US
ksn3n3
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2016, 10:02:18 PM »

Thanks, George.  Looks like you are right.  Thanks very much for IDing this engine.  I mistook the logo on the fromt of the case as OK and I assumed that was the OK logo, but it wasnt.  I looked at some OK parts that I have still in the original packaging amd the just say OK with no logo.  I looked closer at the engine and it says OR not OK, and its the O&R winged logo and looks like a miniature version of my dads old O&R .23. So youre exactly right.  Thanks again.  Now I wonder where in the world I got it from  Cheesy
faif2d
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Sun came up I was here to see it = good day

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2016, 10:19:03 PM »

I purchased a spitsy (sp) from somewhere.  That was the first motor that I ever had.  It would run out a prime but not draw from the tank.  I remember my dad and I took it to a nearby town that had a hobby shop in one portion of the store, I think it was a furniture store, the man there said that there just was not enough compression to draw fuel.  I wanted this to relive that time but have never run it.  It would probably work in this model.

I used to like painting with dope but now I can't remember why!    Steve Fauble
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: