Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 23, 2017, 11:27:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Earl Stahl Waco SRE  (Read 12412 times)
MKelly
Gold Member

Kudos: 27

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: March 19, 2017, 12:10:23 AM »

More test fitting - will have to adjust the curves around the cowl a little more.  Blue windows are for alignment purposes and will be cut out when the tissue is applied.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Earl Stahl Waco SRE
OZPAF
Titanium Member

Kudos: 38

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: March 19, 2017, 06:28:17 PM »

Thanks for the info Mike. Your tissue sizing seems pretty close.

John
MKelly
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: March 20, 2017, 11:22:54 PM »

Spent today working on the cockpit.  From cockpit pictures on the National Waco Club site I copied and sized an image of the instrument panel, then printed it on bond paper.  The cockpit pictures showed a hump in the glare shield over the compass, so I carved and installed that, then fit-checked and trimmed the panel.

The pictures I have of NC20967 after restoration don't show much of the interior, but what can be seen through the windows looks like a medium brown color.  I found some brown Peck domestic tissue that looked close and covered the inside of the window frames, glare shield and windshield frames with that.  This took way too much time - it came out looking pretty decent, but I'm not sure I'd do it that way again.

Last thing to add was the frame tubes at either side of the windshield - these are pretty prominent in photos of the airplane so I wanted to include them.  Nothing fancy - cut toothpicks to length and wrapped them with the brown tissue.

Next I have to decide what to do for aircrew...
ironmike
Gold Member

Kudos: 45

Ignore
« Reply #178 on: March 20, 2017, 11:48:58 PM »

Looks great Mike.
I love seeing interior work done at least
to hide the raw balsa. Interior is spot on.
SBlanchard
Silver Member

Kudos: 10

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: March 21, 2017, 10:16:32 AM »

Love the detail work Mike. Very impressive. I especially like the edging around the windshield. Should finish up really neat.

Steve
daveh
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: March 21, 2017, 10:31:14 AM »

Excellent detail Mike; I especially like the brown interior finish - it may have taken a long time but I think the results are worth it. Lovely job.

Dave
tross
Gold Member

Kudos: 23

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: March 21, 2017, 02:38:03 PM »

Tissue inside the cabin.
Now that's Purdy. Cheesy

TR
OZPAF
Titanium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: March 21, 2017, 06:48:35 PM »

Very impressive Mike.

John
MKelly
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: March 21, 2017, 09:42:32 PM »

Thanks guys!  After looking at it again this morning and feeling motivated by all your comments I went ahead and covered the rest of the interior framework under the top wing.  Not too heavy in spite of all the decorative ballast.

Cheers,

Mike
MKelly
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: March 23, 2017, 01:45:05 PM »

Put a coat of balsa fillercoat on the sheeting Tuesday night and finish sanded the fuselage yesterday morning, then got bit by the detail bug.  I copied a pilot from an in-flight photo of an SRE, cut her out and put her on a bar in the cockpit.  She looks a little far back, but that is consistent with the photos I've found showing aircrew in the aircraft.

I carved out the cabin air vents on either side of the fuselage just in front of the landing gear, and used tubing to cut holes in the bottom of the cowl for the exhaust stacks. 

Waco got away with smoothly fairing the cowl into the fuselage by having a fairly large cooling vent under the lower fuselage - the vent door is usually open on the ground and in flight and quite visible, so I decided to see if I could replicate it.  Some of the restoration pictures of NC20967 show how the duct transitions from the firewall, so I made up a duct with scrap 1/32 sheet, then glued in a small piece of 3/32 behind it and carved out the last part of the duct which includes the base for the central landing gear strut fairing.  Made  for an enjoyable morning.

With that done and the rear peg holes drilled, I think I've checked off everything I need to do to the fuselage before covering.
MKelly
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: March 23, 2017, 09:47:35 PM »

The vent duct needed a door...  Carved one out of soft 1/8" sheet.
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Kudos: 21

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: March 24, 2017, 05:45:09 PM »

I see the results of working late at night are still amazing. You are right on as usual.
MKelly
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: March 24, 2017, 10:03:26 PM »

Thanks Allen!  Not too many late nights yet, but they're coming...

Mike
MKelly
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: March 25, 2017, 04:09:02 PM »

Got tissue on the top and bottom of the fuselage, so on to windows.  Windows are made from clear gift-wrap plastic, glued down with Micro Kristal Clear purchased at the local plastic model shop.  This stuff looks like white glue but dries absolutely clear, sticks to the plastic well and remains somewhat flexible when cured.  I cut the windscreen based on the paper template made when installing the windscreen framing.  As intended, the windscreen framing made installing the windscreen fairly straightforward by providing a solid surface to align the lower edge.

Side tissue is printed and just needs to be chalked before covering.
OZPAF
Titanium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: March 25, 2017, 07:18:42 PM »

You make adding the glazing look simple Mike. I'm curious to see how your pre printed tissue fits around the windscreen? A bit of trimming around the bottom of the windscreen on the tissue with a pattern first , I guess?

John
MKelly
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: March 25, 2017, 08:35:10 PM »

I anticipate much fitting and trimming.  The plan is to cover the sides of the cowl along with the fuselage sides, then cover the top, bottom  and front ring of the cowl with separate pieces of tissue.  Last piece will go over the windscreen to represent the framing - will try to cut that as one piece using the windscreen template, but I may have to fall back on tissue strips.

Been working on the first fuselage side - having trouble going around the lower root rib.
MKelly
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #191 on: March 25, 2017, 10:10:45 PM »

Left side covered, right side to go.  Covering the side in one piece looks nice, but it's among the most tedious covering jobs I've attempted.  It would be pretty straightforward except for the root rib.  It took several attempts to get a reasonably tight job around that rib - we'll see how many wrinkles pop up when it shrinks...
MKelly
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #192 on: March 26, 2017, 09:35:06 PM »

Got the fuselage covered and shrunk, test-fit the wings to make sure the color transitions lined up, then made templates, printed tissue and covered the upper and lower cowl. 

Sides and top were covered dry, cowl was covered wet.  As I feared, after the initial shrink there were wrinkles around the root rib and just behind the cowl sheeting, but several cycles of wetting the tissue and gently massaging the perimeter pretty much took them out.  I'm still working out a few wrinkles on the upper cowl tissue and there are some blemishes here and there, but overall I'm pretty happy with how it turned out - not perfect, but as good as I've ever done.

I did forget to chalk one area of cream - bonus points to the first one to correctly identify it.  I still have to cover the front cowl ring and the windscreen frames, then the fuselage will be done and it's on to the wheel pants and struts.

Cheers,

Mike
OZPAF
Titanium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #193 on: March 27, 2017, 05:05:04 AM »

Very very impressive Mike.

John
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 21

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: March 27, 2017, 06:44:07 AM »

As good as it can get I think - masterly!!  Well done.
SBlanchard
Silver Member

Kudos: 10

Ignore
« Reply #195 on: March 27, 2017, 10:26:33 AM »

Neat and stunning! I really am impressed with the alignment job on all of the individual pieces that when put together they line up perfectly.

Congratulations!

Steve
daveh
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

Ignore
« Reply #196 on: March 27, 2017, 05:44:26 PM »

Just one word Mike - beeeyutifullll!

Dave
MKelly
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #197 on: March 27, 2017, 06:22:38 PM »

Thanks guys - you are making me blush...  I am excited, as this is coming out nicer than anything I've done yet.

Surprised myself today by successfully covering the cowl ring with a single piece of tissue (wet).  I used an online cone calculator to lay out and print a ring of tissue sized to make a cone matching the size and slope of the cowl ring, with a crosshair in the center.  Cut this out with a circle cutter (left the tissue on the backing sheet to cut it - made  things much easier).  This went on pretty easily, but I did have to re-wet the tissue halfway through and ended up with a bit of a wander in the panel line at the edge of the ring.  I decided to live with it as it's only obvious when viewed from below, and it's not that bad.  Folded the tissue over into the cowl opening and with a little more dampening and some persuasion was able to get it smooth around the inside of the cowl as well.

For the windscreen framing I made a tissue template, layed it over the windscreen to mark the framing locations, scanned that into Powerpoint, and drew the framing over the scan using various circles and lines.  I printed a solid sheet of the framing color on both tissue and layout paper (like printer paper, but slightly lighter and thinner), then printed the frame outline on the back of the colored layout paper.  Folded this over with the tissue inside and cut out the frame.  This left me with two layout paper copies of the frame (one clean and one with the framing printed on the back) and a tissue copy of the frame.  Attached the tissue copy to the clean layout paper copy using spraymount adhesive, then sprayed the back of the frame with spraymount and attached it to the model.  The reason for using both tissue and paper is to get a consistent look between the frame and the rest of the covering - the printed paper backing makes the tissue look like the tissue over wood on the cowl and the backing makes it much easier to align the framing on the model.  Worked out pretty well - assuming it holds up through doping and assembly I'll use this technique again.

Everything completed so far is now doped and drying in the garage - still have to cover the wheel pants before being ready for final assembly.
Pete Fardell
Titanium Member

Kudos: 52

Ignore
« Reply #198 on: March 27, 2017, 06:33:26 PM »

It's just lovely! Can't wait to see it all together.
MKelly
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #199 on: March 28, 2017, 10:48:20 PM »

Thanks Pete!  Good to see your Caudron making it's way into the air - very nice model.

Today was spent fitting the flying surfaces. I used the wing alignment jigs I had made during strut construction.  I installed the right upper wing first so that I had one solid joint to work from.  Next, per a suggestion from John, I added matched risers and braces to the jigs so that they could rest on the building mat giving a fixed and level elevation above the building mat.  I added the left upper wing, checking carefully to ensure the jigs were straight and the fuselage was level at the wing joint.

The jigs can be brutal - I found that there is a slight twist at the tail end of the fuselage.  Not a lot - but evident with the jigs.  Just going to have to live with it.

I trial-fit the stab and fin to check alignment, then added the two lower wings.  After this had dried a few hours I pulled off the jigs, checked the fit of the struts, then did a little fitting and trimming on the fin to ensure it lined up properly and that it would lock in the adjustable stab as intended.

The jigs went back on, I added a pointer through the thrust line at the nose so that I could line up the longitudinal axis to the building mat reference lines, then glued the fin on using carpenter's squares to keep it vertical.

I've got a pattern made for the wheel pant tissue - guess I can't put off covering those complex curves any longer...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up
Print
Jump to: