Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
November 19, 2017, 05:23:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Embryonic Elf  (Read 1408 times)
skyrocket
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

United States United States

Topic starter
nothing hard is ever easy

Ignore
« on: December 19, 2016, 03:51:56 PM »

This is the Embryonic Elf I've been flying the past 2 years...it is around 20 grams, flies on 4 x 1/8" braided, 8" D. x 10" P. carved Roberts prop...all 4 built so far fly right off the building board with a little weight in the nose...and they all fly the same...plans were drawn from a 90% reduction of the original Elite Elf from post-war
Limeyland and by Albert Hatfield (yes, THAT Albert Hatfield or Hatfull)...
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Embryonic Elf
Embryonic Elf
Mooney
Gold Member

Kudos: 30

Whenever possible, fly with the sun at your back

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 11:12:57 PM »

Looks great! Are you maxing with it?
skyrocket
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 10:53:49 AM »

yes and it's trouble-free once you get the balance set, just take it out of the box and fly it...I've tried it with an under-cambered wing and a flat bottom one and it doesn't seem to make a difference...the original made from the Elite Model Supply plan flew the same way...the curved air foil shaped fuselage requires a little fiddly work but with stringy 1/16" square longerons, it isn't bad...I believe someone has a plan in the plans list but I won't release one until I get one more season in with it.
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Kudos: 21

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2016, 07:56:21 PM »

This one is another embryo  that just looks right to jump off the table. Looks mighty nice.
skyrocket
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2016, 09:50:19 PM »

yep...it likes a little breeze but gets up in a tight spiral...a totally different flight pattern than say, a Debut, which goes up like a miniature Unlimited ship, much like Gordon's "Synthesis"  back in the day...I suppose I could use 4 x 3/32" on a calm day and reduce the AUW but I'm happy with the climb so far...stay tuned...
scrubs
Gold Member

Kudos: 8

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2016, 10:04:31 AM »

Cute Dave. Are the wing supports a little higher than the original plan? Or is it an illusion from the pics?

bill
skyrocket
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2016, 01:24:47 PM »

Yes they are but I lost that one at 13 minutes over the field this summer because I didn't light the fuse!...on the new one  I eliminated the supports and strapped it right to the top and retained the wing dowels...
pburress
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2017, 05:56:39 PM »

Love this design!  Do you know where I might find a plan for this?
PB_guy
Gold Member

Kudos: 7

Canada Canada

Just a kid at heart.

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2017, 08:42:52 PM »

When I looked for the plan, I only found a jpeg. I did do a redraw of the original plan. Inch markings on the plan.
Original attached as well.
ian
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Embryonic Elf
Re: Embryonic Elf
pburress
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2017, 01:23:02 PM »

Thanks!  Boy, that sure seems like a lot of incidence!

skycafe
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2017, 05:43:34 PM »

That is a lovely looking covering job and airplane.   That it is a funky shape adds to the appeal.
skyrocket
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2017, 11:32:05 AM »

I'm building #5 right now as I stomped on my Debut at Geneseo at the last Great Grape Gathering out of frustration - it just wouldn't fly consistently and was getting a little "worn"...I'm laminating the tips and cutting down the incidence a bit which was a problem...I'll pass on some photos once I get building...if this one flies as well as #3, I'll sell the plans through "snail mail" for a small amount. I did see the digital plan at the top of this column but I prefer to draw my plans. There are so many excellent draftsmen/draftswomen out there that give a certain amount of character to a plan that makes you want to build it and I enjoy drawing.
OneArm
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2017, 08:52:05 AM »

What size wood are you using on the Elf? The drawing scales 3/32, but could see using 1/16. Thanks
skyrocket
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2017, 10:04:49 AM »

I'm using 1/16" squares. I'll be testing the new one soon but the weather took a turn (Ohio) so I'll have to wait a little while. I did test glide it and the CG pegged okay so I might have to wait until KOI to fly it.
OneArm
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2017, 10:14:17 AM »

Thanks. Yeah, I'm in Pittsburgh, so same weather
skyrocket
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2017, 03:13:06 PM »

yep...you are 2 1/2 hours away...my wife's daughter lives in Blawnox just up river...
pburress
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2017, 01:41:36 PM »

I printed these plans and have the parts cut for this one.  I think I will be building it soon!  If so, I will update with my results.
skyrocket
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2017, 04:42:02 PM »

I pre-bent the bottom longerons before I pinned it down and eliminated the goal posts for the wing to give it less incidence - about 2 degrees at the most or you will have to add a ton of nose weight. It flies just as well with under-camber as with a flat bottom airfoil...good luck and be sure to add a D/T.
pburress
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2017, 05:30:16 PM »

Thanks, I will definitely add a D/T!  I was already thinking I would soak the longerons and pre-bend overnight.  I will probably start with 1.5 degrees incidence.  I assume and hope the CAD drawing(showing the flat bottom airfoil) that you posted is accurate, because that's what I'll be building from!  I need to recover an ancient Korda Wakefield that I inherited, then I will start the Elf.  

What is your wingspan, and do you have an idea of the actual Sq/in?  I figured it at about 19" for just under 50 sq. in.

Phil
skyrocket
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2017, 06:56:37 PM »

I didn't draw that CAD drawing and I don't make any claims to it's accuracy. I drew it by hand as I do most of my models because I LOVE the look of hand-drawn plans...there are so many beautiful model drawings out there - it's staggering!....my wing worked out to 49.6 square inches and was reduced from the original plan until I got under 50 square inches. I didn't change much of the construction, just modernized it  some....#5 came out around 18 grams and that's good enough for me...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: