Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 21, 2018, 03:08:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Embryonic Elf  (Read 3261 times)
skyrocket
Gold Member

Kudos: 26

United States United States

Topic starter
nothing hard is ever easy

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2017, 11:40:37 AM »

pburress....that is nice looking!!...yep, it does need weight up front and less incidence in the wing. I just put the wing on the fuselage and dispensed with the goal posts and came out at less than 2 degrees...maybe a viscous timer would help with the needed weight  up front. i use a fuse mounted around the CG. The flight pattern is R-R in a tight spiral. All of them so far go up this way.
mikek....glad you like it. Volare's Badaxe is pretty nice too and available for cheap. I just thought I'd build something a little different. Just keep the rear as light as you can...
flydean1
Gold Member

Kudos: 8

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2017, 05:27:36 PM »

Debating whether to use viscous or fuse D/T

Easy!  Viscous.  Fuses cause fires.  Viscous changes with temp, but fuses change with relative humidity.  Choose your poison.
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Kudos: 23

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2017, 06:50:08 PM »

Flydean1 where do you fly? If a fire risk exists then go ahead and use what is allowed. Wishing you Good Luck  if you go without any dt when one is indicated.
flydean1
Gold Member

Kudos: 8

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2017, 09:59:06 PM »

I NEVER fly without a DT.  Not even a hand glide.  Tracker too.  Just wanted to point out that while a fuse is slightly lighter, here in the Southeast, potential fire is ever present.
skyrocket
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2017, 12:43:16 PM »

seems like sound advice to me.
pburress
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2017, 01:31:53 PM »

I'm going with viscous timer for D/T, mounted way up front since I will likely need weight there anyway.  Fuses are common here in KS and I have airplanes with fuse D/T, but I'm not a fan of messing with the fuse, fitting a frayed end into the tube, finding a lighter, timing the light etc.  Viscous is easier and can be reset quickly. They can change with tempurature so you just need to do a couple of tests before you fly each time. I get the viscous dampers from hobbyspecialties.com and they are quite good.  The smaller one is .6 grams.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Embryonic Elf
pburress
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2017, 03:36:59 PM »

Speaking of always using dethermalizers:  I am lucky enough have Jim O'Reilly in my local club.  We were at the field last spring and he was doing the initial (very short) trim flights of a new model, a Gollywock I think.  He was lighting the fuse and I remarked on it.  He said that he's lost enough airplanes to thermals, that he always lights the fuse, even on short test flights.  I asked how many models he's lost over the years.  He said that as a matter of fact he had recently did that tally in his head:  Over 45 models lost over the years! 
skyrocket
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2017, 06:32:13 PM »

I'm thinking of retro-fitting a number of models with viscous timers but I've been using the thin Brit fuse for a while now and have rarely had a failure. I guess  the sure bet is a wing D/T or a wing streaming D/T but I've seen too many models going UP after D/T to place any bets. A bigger problem is finding something in the corn or beans without a tracker. I'd rather lose it upwards than when it's ALMOST within reach...what a silly game this is we play...but it sure beats R/C...
pburress
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2017, 12:36:48 AM »

Finally got my Elf finished.   The through the fin pop up tail setup is borrowed from the Jim O'Reilly half sized Gollywock plans.  Gizmo Geezer nose button and 8" prop from a superior prop blank.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Mikek
Bronze Member

Kudos: 4

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2018, 10:20:15 AM »

Nice looking model! What’s the all up weight? Does the spring provide enough tension to keep the stab from creeping upward before the line disconnects from the timer?
I’ve seen most people wrap the line around a peg or use a mouse trap type release for the pop up tail to make sure the stab stays put before fully popping up.
steveair2
Silver Member

Kudos: 6

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2018, 11:15:56 AM »

Great job on your EE pburres.   I love the prop and the wheel pants.  It's just a matter of time before I build one of these.
pburress
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2018, 12:18:47 PM »

AUW without rubber is 22.5g.  The prop is 8", from a Superior blank obtained from Volare products.  I'll probably use 2 loops of 3/32" since that's what my other embryos use.

The spring does keep the stab down.  If it didn't I could wrap the line around the CF peg shown below the tail, like you said!

Looking forward to starting trimming this one but not today as it's currently -1 degrees F outside!

« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 02:18:39 PM by pburress » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: