Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 18, 2017, 07:49:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Turbo Cessna 195 Indoor Nocal Short kit from Volare Products  (Read 3521 times)
Walt
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2017, 12:31:21 PM »

Congratulations George!
I had my version of the Cessna out at the National Building Museum in Washington DC.  I did not spend as much time as I would have liked wringing it out.  The Maxecuters have a 6 gram minimum weight for no-cals.  I think I'm off to a good start, and think this ship has great potential.  I'm wondering what a good time would be for a 6 gram ship in a standard high school gym....any feedback anyone?
Wally
dslusarc
Gold Member

Kudos: 18

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2017, 12:03:15 AM »

decided on a whim to try a 10x16 prop and it flies OK on .085 x 16" loop, but above 1250 turns, it will just nose up and do one nearly full stop stall after launch, then either resume flying normally or flip on its back. 

That sounds to me like it needs some down thrust.
180steve
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2017, 01:59:05 PM »

I will give that (downthrust) a try and let you know what happens!

(Wally) As far as times for a 6 gram version in a typical gym, I can only say I see one every Sunday, built stock, that is doing around 2:10 on out of box 3/32" Tan SS.  Don manages 3+ minutes via house thermals, magic and secret incantations Wink
Bredehoft
Gold Member

Kudos: 41

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2017, 08:01:52 AM »

I'd like to report that my Turbo Cessna 195 NoCal was successful at the Indoor Fling last weekend, competing against Don and all of the other indoor flyers - I'd LIKE to report that, but I cannot...

I made what I thought was a great motor for my model (0.082" x 17.5" loop) and gave it an 80% or so test flight.  This did 4:36 and had 1 hit.  that told me to go for it.  I wound the motor up to about 1850 turns and got a 5:08 flight with one hit.  The hit lost about 10 feet, give or take, but it recovered and did well.   I was on my way to my goal of strongly competing.

My second flight (of a total of three flights) had another hit high up in the girders.  This time it got stuck after 1:40 or so - so ended my quest for glory.  My plane remained up there, wedged in pretty good, while I tried to get it down with a balloon.  After 20 minutes or so, it finally came loose and suffered no damage.

Don did not fly his version, as he was out-pacing everyone with a P-39 (he got a three flight total of 1268 seconds - that's three 7-minute flights!).  However, Don's dad, Chuck did fly his 3-gram Turbo Cessna 195 and came in 3rd with 918 total seconds (that averages out to be three 5:06 flights).    What I take away from that is that my plane was on par with Chuck's - if I could learn to keep it out of the rafters.

I'm very happy with this model as it has taken me from my previous high of 2:30 in indoor NoCal, through 3 minutes, through 4 minutes, has now exceeded 5 minutes twice.  (And I am confident that you can achieve this, too, if you follow Don's instructions.)

--george

Volare Products Blog: http://www.volareproducts.com/
Volare Products Store:  http://www.volareproducts.com/BUY/
Follow on Facebook:  http://www.facebook.com/VolareProducts
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: