Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
February 20, 2017, 09:58:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: beginners mini stick?  (Read 692 times)
Beazld
Silver Member

Kudos: 4

United States United States

Topic starter
What me worry?

Ignore
« on: December 26, 2016, 11:25:49 AM »

is there such a thing?  I am new to indoor.  I have built a couple A-6's waiting for first flights, and am working on a Japanese penny plane from Feather Plane and would like to try a mini stick too.  looking for an easy design to build that I can learn with.  I am no threat to world records, just looking to have some fun this winte.

Simplicate and add lightness!
To paraphrase Karl Marx, Technology is the opiate of the masses.
Rclements
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2016, 01:07:36 PM »

https://theflyadelaide.wordpress.com/
This is a nice flying plane, if you can get 1/20th balsa use that for the wingspan and use 1/32 for the tail, you can use an ikara prop but I used a 1/32 sheet prop that worked well, It was my first ministick type plane and I had terrible rubber but still got 2 minute flights.

Ross
Beazld
Silver Member

Kudos: 4

Topic starter
What me worry?

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2016, 05:19:19 PM »

thanks Ross, I saw the Fly but didn't realize it is a mini stick.  looks like I got to build a couple.
Dave

Simplicate and add lightness!
To paraphrase Karl Marx, Technology is the opiate of the masses.
adanjo
Bronze Member

Kudos: 3

Japan Japan

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2016, 12:28:22 AM »

Strictly speaking, the Fly is not a ministick because it is a little oversize.
But, the Fly must be a very good model for you. Easy to build and flies well.

There are some good ministick plans here:

http://aerofred.com/search.php?search_keywords=Ministick%20Misstick

In the page, Joe Krush's K777 is a very good one.
Aki
kiteshark
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2016, 10:42:25 AM »

Hi Dave,

I've never built the Fly but it looks to be a good place to start.  One thing about any of these planes is that wood selection is critical.  Lacking true indoor balsa, you can still get excellent results with hobby shop wood if you know what to look for.  Read through the article on the Hobby Shopper EZB https://indoornewsandviews.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/inav-107.pdf.  While it's not aimed at mini-sticks, the discussion of wood selection is a great tutorial.  Plus there's lots of other hints in there.

If you're just starting out building these gems, building techniques will make or break your efforts.  I'd been building them a couple of years before I found this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNJy3AR7uzE&list=PLxsxQfkvYyJFNgj7mzpwmePU5yeVVAnLl and I was amazed by how much I learned from it.  It's also based on the Poonker which is my favorite mini-stick.  When you're ready to move up a notch, use the instructions from the video and the plans for the Poonker on the site listed by adanjo. 

Best wishes,
Dave
THB
Gold Member

Kudos: 13

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2016, 06:51:56 PM »

Hi Beazld
'The Fly' is a beginners indoor model I designed a while back - based on the Ikara prop set.
Originally it was just a project for a Science 'Maker's Faire' here in Adelaide, Australia - and I produced a short run of kits (https://theflyadelaide.wordpress.com/).
I got some interest from schools as a STEM Science project and still make a few kits for schools from time to time.
The object of the kit was to design something that would produce good results for a first time flyer - and would be small enough for most school gyms, science rooms etc.
Let me know how you go.
I sent a kit to Aki (adanjo) and his flew very well. But Aki is not a first time flyer!!
Having said that, many others have built the kit and it seems to perform consistently. Though the rubber currently supplied (about 1mm x 1mm) is overpowered.
cheers
Tim

Tim
Maxout
Titanium Member

Kudos: 80

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2016, 09:57:32 AM »

is there such a thing?  I am new to indoor.  I have built a couple A-6's waiting for first flights, and am working on a Japanese penny plane from Feather Plane and would like to try a mini stick too.  looking for an easy design to build that I can learn with.  I am no threat to world records, just looking to have some fun this winte.

Don't be afraid to make trimming flights in your living room. Even if the plan can't manage a complete circle for lack of sufficient space, it's still useful information and will get you used to working with these models. With a little practice, you can fly A-6 and ministick in very small rooms as evidenced by this channel belonging to a fellow HPA member: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCawhXFDR9bUucLwetv7ML1g
dslusarc
Gold Member

Kudos: 14

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2016, 01:50:36 PM »

Josh,

I think you are the king of living room flying based on the videos you have posted. I loved the autogyro flight you did in the house.

Don
fitnezz
Bronze Member

Netherlands Netherlands

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2017, 10:08:51 AM »

In this space Maxout was refering to, I got 5 minutes flying 10" parlor mite. What surprised me, was that it was making those small circles without any problem and bumping off the walls. Use loots of washout. Also, I can really recommend 'the fly' as for flying in the house. Just make it light and cover with thin plastic and use balsa prop. I have 'the fly' with bamboo spars for the wing and stab and foam prop. It is banging against my walls for a year already and the only repair was a patch in the wing (it landed on a sharp leaf of my flower). I fly it almost every day as for the mind clearing Smiley  It does a minute less now, than a year ago. It gained some weight from the dust I guess, it gives 3 minutes now, keep your minis in the box guys! It flies in this airspace as this k777, not a long flight here, but not easy to make a video in my space without airplane falling to the ground Wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3F2EZ3wCps
Hepcat
Platinum Member

Kudos: 128

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2017, 02:21:20 PM »

I know it is the Christmas season and there is some laxity in what is allowed on the forum but I think the video attached to reply 8 is way beyond the pale. It seeks to remove all the mysticism surrounding indoor flying and it may even cause people without a Doctorate in mathematics to think that they could take part in Indoor flying in the future. It is obviously a hoax of some kind.  Perhaps the model is tethered or may even be radio controlled.  From the occasional jerky movement I am inclined to think it is not real at all and is probably an animated cartoon like ‘Tom and Jerry’ which we enjoyed so much as children.  So I must reiterate that that flight is a fake or I’m a Dutchman.
Happy 2017 and Congratulation to the man who produced the Fake.
John
fitnezz
Bronze Member

Netherlands Netherlands

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2017, 03:28:22 PM »

Ahaha good one, John, you made me laugh:)  Obviously happy 2017!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: