Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 19, 2017, 03:53:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Indoor flying Nottingham, UK, Sunday 12th of February 2017  (Read 1058 times)
Andrew Darby
Platinum Member

Kudos: 40

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: January 10, 2017, 02:31:56 PM »

Hi All,

I have just heard from Paul Brigg's that he has obtained a hall for Indoor flying on Sunday 12th of February 2017, 3:30 until 6:30.

The venue is the Harvey Hadden sports Village, Wigman Road, Bilborough, Nottingham, NG8 4PB.  This is a very short drive from the M1 with good access and parking facilities.  The hall is about the same size as the old Nottingham University one, and is pretty square.

Nominally this is a free flight meeting but small micro RC will be ok as long as people are sensible.  Timed sessions may have to apply on the day dependant on attendance.

There are tables, but they are limited and of the deep plastic type, so you may may want to bring one that works with your stooge

Please bring along your BMFA proof of insurance.

The NMAC run a very informal, fun, low key hangar rat comp at this meeting, a small entry charge on the day applies (circa £3 IIRC).  Prizes are variable from nowt, to a couple of cans of beer, a bottle of plonk and sometimes a soft toy rat -as featured in Aeromodeller piloting Richard Grangers Lacey...

The hall fee is normally £10 for the three hours.  If we can make this one at least cost neutral we may try and organise another one later in the year, (sadly the club - and on occasion Paul loose money on it) so please support this if you can make it.

Andrew

Hogwash I tell thee!
FFmodeller
Titanium Member

Kudos: 50

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 03:06:41 PM »

Barring clashes,  I will hopefully be there  Smiley
Andrew Darby
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 03:10:56 PM »

Be good to see you Russ... The NMAC is only 20 members or so strong, so even with (a very unlikely) full attendance we would loose money, and the "Subsidy pot" is rapidly running dry... Cry

Andrew

Hogwash I tell thee!
Pete Fardell
Titanium Member

Kudos: 51

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 03:33:52 PM »

I'll put it on the calendar and come if I can. Is that the same venue I went to once last year and Russ helped me launch my glider from the gap between two tables? Happily it doesn't clash with the next Clayton weekend and is significantly nearer for me too.  (Mind you, at Clayton we get FOUR hours for ten pounds! That's Northern value for you! Grin)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 05:25:35 PM by Pete Fardell » Logged
Andrew Darby
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 03:43:43 PM »

Yup, the same one Pete...

Hogwash I tell thee!
danmellor
Platinum Member

Kudos: 37

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 09:44:37 AM »

I shall do my best to make it!

Dan.
Andrew Darby
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 02:28:26 PM »

Great Dan.  I hope that you can make it!  Grin

Andrew

Hogwash I tell thee!
danmellor
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2017, 05:09:56 PM »

Barring earthquakes, fires, floods and various other acts of God, I will be there! Unless the dreaded snow strikes and everything grinds to a halt as usual. I'm really looking forward to it.

Cheers,

Dan.
SP250
Gold Member

Kudos: 4

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2017, 06:40:27 PM »

This fly-in looks like it will replace the Velodrome event, that is usual at this time of year, but sadly not available due to the upsurge in cycling after the olympics.

John
Andrew Darby
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2017, 02:51:00 AM »

Hi John,

it's sad to loose the velodrome event, So if having this one in the calendar is good, and we can get enough to pay for the venue then everyone is a winner and we can do it again.

From what I have been told NMAC held regular indoor sessions at Nottingham Uni, but as the university got more commercial and with a new person in charge of the sports facilities the price was ratcheted up and up to become completely unaffordable, this along with dwindling membership had obvious consequences.  In the last few years we have (thanks to the persistence of Paul) had the Harvey Hadden hall just for the club Hangar rat comp as much as anything else, with the club subsiding the shortfall.  Normally this event is only publicised on the club website, so I asked to stick it on here to raise awareness.

On that note if you think that this is a viable alternative to the velodrome event then please pass the word on to anyone that may be interested...

Cheers

Andrew

Hogwash I tell thee!
SP250
Gold Member

Kudos: 4

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2017, 04:52:58 AM »

Andrew

As long as Paul Briggs and the rest of NMAC are ok with it, I will be happy to promote it as another event in lieu of the Manchester Velodrome.  I'll speak to Paul.
Be nice if a couple of scale informal comps could be run as well - say peanut flying only, or an "all pilots vote" for their favourite model and flight on the day etc.

Yes the closing for refurb at Nottingham Uni forced the move to Walsall and then change of management and pricing sealed the deal for the Scale FF Nationals as you know.
However, 99% of both competitors and spectators think Walsall is a better venue to hold the Nats - Velodrome / Haddon situation may prove the same.

John
Andrew Darby
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2017, 06:17:59 AM »

Hi John,

At this point I'm not too sure about adding more comps in, I asked Paul about spreading the word on the basis of casual flying and our own Hangar rat comp. it is only 3 hours and I'm not sure that Paul would welcome the extra Burden or any more organisation etc...  Perhaps just leave this one "as is"  However please feel free to speak to him direct, I could well be wrong.

That's not to say that moving forward we couldn't do something more significant, say at the same time in '18, in which case I could lend my support and help out.

Cheers

Andrew

Hogwash I tell thee!
Andrew Darby
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2017, 12:24:52 PM »

A reminder about this one folks.

For anyone intending to go - see you there  Grin

Andrew

Hogwash I tell thee!
Pete Fardell
Titanium Member

Kudos: 51

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2017, 06:56:59 PM »

I'm going to reluctantly miss this tomorrow. Got a few of Carole's family here staying this weekend and though I have permission to go off and play with my aeroplanes I can't with a clear conscience leave her to entertain them without a car.

Have fun though chaps, and post a few vids and pics if possible!
danmellor
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2017, 07:47:52 PM »

That's a shame, Pete! You could have laughed at my Andreasson, which is defying all trimming attempts so far. At least I've got until April if I kill it tomorrow...

Cheers,

Dan.
FFmodeller
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2017, 08:06:13 PM »

Still hoping to go .... depends on finding a pub nearby for Jayne to watch Leicester!

Nowt to fly ... but will at least make a donation as a spectator if I don't dig anything out.

billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 36

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2017, 05:19:45 AM »

Still hoping to go .... depends on finding a pub nearby for Jayne to watch Leicester!
There might be a telly in the cafe!
FFmodeller
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2017, 06:56:06 AM »

Thanks Bill, will try there first
ZK-AUD
Gold Member

Kudos: 21

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2017, 03:09:35 PM »

That's what the ipad is for!
danmellor
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2017, 03:25:10 PM »

Excellent afternoon's flying! I only totalled one model, too... VMC Tiger Moth. At it's last outing, nice 25ft circles. Launched confidently today: straight as a die and into the far wall with a resounding crunch. Oh well! I was running out of storage space anyway...

Cheers,

Dan.
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2017, 03:32:43 PM »

Yes, a good session. Thanks Paul. On the way out I had to negotiate a muddy slope to the car park and slipped flat on my back and head, adding to the model damage sustained in the hall!
Rich Moore
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2017, 04:05:48 PM »

Ouch and ouch!

It wasn't me
danmellor
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2017, 04:07:52 PM »

The muddy bank nearly claimed me, too! There didn't seem to be any way to avoid it without a 500 yard detour.

Cheers,

Dan.
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2017, 04:22:21 PM »

There didn't seem to be any way to avoid it without a 500 yard detour.
No. A masterpiece of architectural design. I wrecked the Fokker D8 and SE5a. But as Dan said, I need more room.
ZK-AUD
Gold Member

Kudos: 21

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2017, 04:26:24 PM »

Morning gents,

I was just readng these comments and wondered whether anyone has thought of a system of safety nets around the perimeter of the hall for these big events -  I was thinking about 2 lines of lightweight paracord with lightweight muslin or net curtain material (i.e. no holes in the net big enugh to trap and break parts of a falling model) between them - one high and close to the wall and the other low and say 500mm out from the wall so that it forms a loose net and 'catch' zone.  Alternatively the nets could be modular self supporting units with lightweight fiberglass rod structures. There would be some practical issues to sort such as not blocking emergency exits, and fixing points etc but if we focus on the positives for a minute I think of the damage to Peter Iliffe's lovely Albatros and whether that could ahve been prevented.  It would be a reasonable investment for the assoication to make if it had funds.  Just a thought.  Alternatively you may feel that the frisson of danger adds to rather than subracts from your ewnjoyment of the event.  For myself I'd rather take home a model than a kitset!

Bill Dennis going cross-country I can't suggest a solution for!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: