Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
March 01, 2017, 02:56:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Chad for FAC Legal Eagle  (Read 286 times)
Maxout
Titanium Member

Kudos: 80

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: January 17, 2017, 01:33:47 PM »

The Pinkham Field Rulebook was just released for general circulation by FAC GHQ, which means that the events therein are now eligible for kanones in your local club!

One of those events just happens to be Legal Eagle. When I saw that, I did a little happy dance inside because it gave me an excuse to build one and meant that perhaps others will join me in the madness. Time will tell.

I decided to build a Chad. Had yesterday off and started it in a fit of enthusiasm, but at 9 pm I completely crashed and decided the windows, wheel, and prop can wait until this evening. I had a recent health problem and it's really damaged me energy levels. Doctor says I should be back to normal soon, so hopefully this will end and I can get back to productivity both on and off the job.

I'd love to tell you the fantastic weight of this model, but I have no idea because I haven't weighed it. That is probably for the best.

The model was built from some nice light wood I had lying around. So far it looks like it should go ok. I've heard rumors that these can do close to 10 minutes under a high ceiling...seems a bit optimistic, but on the other hand I watched Don S. do over 7 minutes with a Nocal at Rantoul, so who knows!

More when it's finished...
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Chad for FAC Legal Eagle
Maxout
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 03:30:35 PM »

Well the bones shot didn't load...here it is...
Re: Chad for FAC Legal Eagle
Maxout
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 03:38:23 PM »

I finished the model last night as I'd promised myself. There is some scope for weight reduction for sure, but it has a lot of wing area. I balanced it without a rubber motor which required some lead in the nose (just glided it and added weight until it stopped stalling). Built in a tiny bit of down and 5 degrees right thrust and fastened the tail with some right rudder. Wound it up and it acted like it wanted some downthrust, so I added a little, and it was a little mushy at low power, so I added a touch more nose weight, rightly observing that the rear peg is far enough back to cause a cg shift when the motor is loaded. End of mushing, and it cruised sweetly around the living room. I keyed the wing and stab since the alignment worked out well, and wound it up enough to get the start of a climb (500 turns maybe on 1.5 g of 3/32). Off it went, making three slow, gentle right circles around the living room, climbing almost to the ceiling. Satisfied, I put it away for the evening. It will serve me well.

Vital stats: weight is 4.97 g, which is a bit heavy for a Legal, but it has a lot of wing area, so that shouldn't matter in the long run. I'll have to be more careful when I build my indoor embryo, though. Power, like I said, is a 1.5 g loop of 3/32, which based on initial tests should be about right for Cat I. The prop is per plans, P/D about 1.5. I can't see anything up front to complain about...it's just a solid, simple airplane with nothing extra and nothing left out. Definitely recommended.
Rclements
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 09:59:02 AM »

Thinking I might build one of these. If you were to build it again would you move the rubber hook forward one bay? any other changes?

Thanks!
Ross
Maxout
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 10:49:11 AM »

Rear peg is really, really close as is. I think shifting it forward 1/2" couldn't hurt, though.
Rclements
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 07:24:03 PM »

This is my first full fuselage build.  How did you get the right size cross pieces for the few that are not listed on the plan? Should I just make the sides straight or use the slight curve shown on the plan?

Thanks!
Ross
Maxout
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 07:37:06 AM »

I cut the cabin cross pieces, the nose pieces, and the ones at the rear peg because I wanted there to be enough space there, then glue all those in, joined the tail end of the fuselage sides, and that gave me nice curves in the fuse. After that, I just cut additional cross pieces to match the curve the fuselage sides took.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: