Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
May 27, 2017, 07:56:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Taking the Advice from the Experts  (Read 367 times)
ScienceGuy
Gold Member

Kudos: 10

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: January 25, 2017, 01:37:02 PM »

With the free flight model airplanes I am a relative beginner to outdoor free flight contest flying, I have so much to learn. At least I know that and have tremendous respect for the experts that have been so gracious in helping me. There was a recent online incident with a couple people trying to criticize a true expert in free flight over a model engine that prompted me to write this article.

What has been on my mind is, why were are as many people reading my articles on free flight when there really wasn’t anything I was teaching them because I am NOT an expert, not even close? My thoughts are that people that have been through the struggles I have had before find it interesting what a relative newcomer is dealing with. As I am given advice I try to follow through on much of it and give my results. Everyone sees the world a little differently and I try to convey how I am thinking about whatever I am trying to do.

This winter I have been doing a lot of building of balsa free flight model airplanes all from kits or short-kits. I feel like each one I build I spot ideas the designer had and think darn, when I design my own plane I might incorporate that technique. Wood is such an interesting material to work with; I find it more interesting than some of the other materials I have used for building model airplanes such as the EPP foam and strapping tape I built RC slope soaring gliders from.  Working with balsa you have to consider the grain direction, the density, and the type of balsa grain.  When your airplane develops warps it can be frustrating as well.

Just getting into free flight competition now I feel I have missed out on a lot. I have to admit the new electric free flight is really nice. For my radio control flying I have given up using the glow engines for several years now. Do not miss the mess but I decided I would like to try some glow powered free flight. I purchased the BMJR Witch Hawk free flight kit and will be using a K&B .19 engine.  Also I am going to build a PeeWee 30 model because I have a couple of Cox PeeWee .020 engines in the basement.

Bill Kuhl

Blog version with pictures  http://scienceguyorg.blogspot.com/2017/01/when-it-comes-to-free-flight-i-am-no.html]With the free flight model airplanes I am a relative beginner to outdoor free flight contest flying, I have so much to learn. At least I know that and have tremendous respect for the experts that have been so gracious in helping me. There was a recent online incident with a couple people trying to criticize a true expert in free flight over a model engine that prompted me to write this article.

What has been on my mind is, why were are as many people reading my articles on free flight when there really wasn’t anything I was teaching them because I am NOT an expert, not even close? My thoughts are that people that have been through the struggles I have had before find it interesting what a relative newcomer is dealing with. As I am given advice I try to follow through on much of it and give my results. Everyone sees the world a little differently and I try to convey how I am thinking about whatever I am trying to do.

This winter I have been doing a lot of building of balsa free flight model airplanes all from kits or short-kits. I feel like each one I build I spot ideas the designer had and think darn, when I design my own plane I might incorporate that technique. Wood is such an interesting material to work with; I find it more interesting than some of the other materials I have used for building model airplanes such as the EPP foam and strapping tape I built RC slope soaring gliders from.  Working with balsa you have to consider the grain direction, the density, and the type of balsa grain.  When your airplane develops warps it can be frustrating as well.

Just getting into free flight competition now I feel I have missed out on a lot. I have to admit the new electric free flight is really nice. For my radio control flying I have given up using the glow engines for several years now. Do not miss the mess but I decided I would like to try some glow powered free flight. I purchased the BMJR Witch Hawk free flight kit and will be using a K&B .19 engine.  Also I am going to build a PeeWee 30 model because I have a couple of Cox PeeWee .020 engines in the basement.

[url]http://scienceguyorg.blogspot.com/2017/01/when-it-comes-to-free-flight-i-am-no.html
  Blog version with pictures

Bill Kuhl
jswain
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 03:39:00 PM »

Hi Bill.
i think the interest in your website with regards to free flight is your *quest* or journey of exploration in this somewhat esoteric part of the hobby.

As nice as the successes are just as interesting are the non-successes and process towards getting the model to go.  

So the web site gives interested readers some constructive insight into the journey rather than a summary of the finished project.

With regards to the projects you mentioned for 2017 i have cut+pasted some web links that are written by true experts.

I don't fly power but if i did i honestly believe i could succeed in flying a power ff model (i.e. not crashing ...)following or using there advice on selection of design, building, power, and trimming.

take care, john s.

(who's motto is 1 meter or less any dimension and whatever it is the least amount of noise )

http://www.pearlfreeflight.com/Flying.html    <= detailed building and trimming for successful flight

http://library.modelaviation.com/ma/1982/9/witch-hawk-500    <= original article September 2982 MA magazine

NFFS's Free Flight Digest sept/oct 2016 bmjr and holman, dual kit builds review    <= exactly what your planning to do

http://www.theaerosmith.com/about_1.html    <= Don Deloach's excellent explanation of powered free flight.

ScienceGuy
Gold Member

Kudos: 10

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 03:59:52 PM »

Thank you for thinking of me with the articles, I had read all of them except the Witch Hawk 500 article which is my next project.  I have the construction just about complete on a Jetstream towline glider. Last evening I covered the stab of a P30 with 1/4 mil Mylar for the first time. Actually just one side, being the first time it took me a long time but no doubt it will go faster the next time. 

Bill Kuhl
faif2d
Gold Member

Kudos: 26

Sun came up I was here to see it = good day

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 04:15:32 PM »

back when I worked for a living I paid a visit to an composite extruder in Long Beach.  I wish I could remember it's name because he apparently trained half the folks in the industry.  Anyway like most companies they had a lot of successful parts in several showcases. What was so very interesting was that they showed all of the failures on the path to a successful conclusion.  Only time I ever saw that anywhere and it was VERY interesting (obviously as I still remember it 30 years later)!

I used to like painting with dope but now I can't remember why!    Steve Fauble
jswain
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 08:44:15 PM »

Here you go if you have not already seen it, hopefully it helps gets your new model in the air successfully.

fyi, if you join nffs you can download the last 4 years or so of 'pdf' digest's onto your device and read offline or save to storage memory, very very worthwhile..

best wishes and success's, john s.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Taking the Advice from the Experts
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: