Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
June 25, 2017, 03:11:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Thing III Build  (Read 911 times)
steveair2
Silver Member

Kudos: 4

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2017, 03:52:47 AM »

Today I fit the nose sheeting and hinged the rudder.  I decided the power system I ordered was too heavy.  I think I have the right combo picked out.
Trying to keep things simple and light, but did decide to make removable landing gear.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Thing III Build
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 04:22:14 AM by steveair2 » Logged
steveair2
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2017, 02:30:36 PM »

I used some BBQ skewers to mock up the main landing gear, then added a bit of support structure.  I also decided to make the lower vertical stabilizer removable so I added some triangle stock to the aft lower keel. 

steveair2
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2017, 09:24:38 PM »

Today I'm showing how I use masking tape during sanding operations.  I use the tape to keep the sanding block off surfaces that I don't want sanded.
The tape also shows high and low spots wearing into the tape during sanding.  Works well.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 10:18:38 PM by steveair2 » Logged
fred
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2017, 11:12:50 PM »

Interesting Build.
 Been eyeing one of these things for years.
 Small question: why build it in FF scale fashion: Lotsa sticks?
  Wouldn't a few judiciously cut pieces of 2mm Depron have been a far simpler approach ?
 It IS after all comprised of a bunch of 'Facets'
steveair2
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Today at 04:21:30 AM »

Fred, in the first post of this thread I mentioned my plan for my next model was going to be a Alpha Jet MKII.  Which is designed to be built from Depron or other sheet foams.  The videos on this model are amazing.  I would like to build one one day.

Iv'e been building balsa models for about forty years now.  This forum is centered around balsa models.  I look at many plans for models and to me the more sticks in the model the better.  Stick and tissue models are built very much like full size aircraft, and I think that is what draws most of us into this hobby.

It's very gratifying for me to build these balsa stick structures and I think they have heart and soul making it a mechanical art project.
Also, the designer of this model is famous for his designs and building the model as he designed it gives me great satisfaction.

A Depron version would be easier and maybe lighter, but for me it would take all the fun out of building the airplane.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: