Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
November 24, 2017, 07:44:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Thing III Build  (Read 3886 times)
steveair2
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2017, 03:52:47 AM »

Today I fit the nose sheeting and hinged the rudder.  I decided the power system I ordered was too heavy.  I think I have the right combo picked out.
Trying to keep things simple and light, but did decide to make removable landing gear.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Thing III Build
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 04:22:14 AM by steveair2 » Logged
steveair2
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2017, 02:30:36 PM »

I used some BBQ skewers to mock up the main landing gear, then added a bit of support structure.  I also decided to make the lower vertical stabilizer removable so I added some triangle stock to the aft lower keel. 

steveair2
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2017, 09:24:38 PM »

Today I'm showing how I use masking tape during sanding operations.  I use the tape to keep the sanding block off surfaces that I don't want sanded.
The tape also shows high and low spots wearing into the tape during sanding.  Works well.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 10:18:38 PM by steveair2 » Logged
fred
Gold Member

Kudos: 2

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2017, 11:12:50 PM »

Interesting Build.
 Been eyeing one of these things for years.
 Small question: why build it in FF scale fashion: Lotsa sticks?
  Wouldn't a few judiciously cut pieces of 2mm Depron have been a far simpler approach ?
 It IS after all comprised of a bunch of 'Facets'
steveair2
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2017, 04:21:30 AM »

Fred, in the first post of this thread I mentioned my plan for my next model was going to be a Alpha Jet MKII.  Which is designed to be built from Depron or other sheet foams.  The videos on this model are amazing.  I would like to build one one day.

Iv'e been building balsa models for about forty years now.  This forum is centered around balsa models.  I look at many plans for models and to me the more sticks in the model the better.  Stick and tissue models are built very much like full size aircraft, and I think that is what draws most of us into this hobby.

It's very gratifying for me to build these balsa stick structures and I think they have heart and soul making it a mechanical art project.
Also, the designer of this model is famous for his designs and building the model as he designed it gives me great satisfaction.

A Depron version would be easier and maybe lighter, but for me it would take all the fun out of building the airplane.

steveair2
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2017, 10:00:27 PM »

I've been working long hours at the plant, and just changed from 2nd shift to first shift.  I'm trying to do a little each day.
Installed aluminum tubing to accept 1/16" music wire.  And some blocking for screws.  I thought maybe these would be for static display only but touch and goes are my favorite maneuver.  The lower vertical fin requires long struts.  I'll definitely skid the rudder tip on every takeoff and landing.
It will probably be flown most with no landing gear.

planesjimmycam
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2017, 10:24:56 PM »

This is a really interesting build. I am curious to see how it flies. I like the look of the landing gear arrangement . I am very tempted to build one!
 Best,
Jim
steveair2
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2017, 08:01:28 PM »

Thanks Jim,  it is an interesting model.  I've always had an interest in low AR aircraft.  Thanks much for your input.

I would like to build another one from eight inch sticks instead of quarter with the real micro R/C system and lighter motor and battery.
The bare airframe with all three fins weighs under three ounces at eighty two grams.
Batteries and servos are two and a half ounces.  I'm hoping I can bring this one in under ten ounces with more power than the Cox .020.

I've always flown rubber free flight and gas R/C and used nicads.  I'm still trying to learn the new electric stuff.  I haven't flown R/C in over ten years.
I have two electric models I've built but have not flown.  To learn more of the electrics and to get my thumbs back I built a Hummer profile foamy.
I've flown it three times and it has been repaired to like new after knocking the motor off on a fence post.

I'm planning on flying my scratch built electrics soon I hope.  

steveair2
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2017, 02:29:11 PM »

I finished the main landing gear.  My spray can had nozzle problems on the second coat.  I should repaint but probably won't.
There's to many models on my build list, I need to get this one done.  The nose gear will have to wait until I finalize the motor install.
Still looking for motor, prop and battery combinations.  Right now I'm considering a Fire Power 300 G-506 from Heads Up Hobbies.  
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.  
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 02:49:19 PM by steveair2 » Logged
steveair2
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2017, 07:28:17 PM »

I decided to add a few gussets to the elevons, vertical stabilizer and rudder; and then started installing push rods.
The model with servos weighs a bit over four ounces.  I odered a Firepower 300 motor, battery and ESC.
The weight of the motor, battery and ESC is 3.8 ounces.  I think I get get it in under the published weight of ten ounces with more power.
This power combination should give me twelve ounces of thrust.
OZPAF
Titanium Member

Kudos: 38

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2017, 04:35:14 AM »

your maiden flight is getting close SA. It should be interesting - don't overdo the control movements.

John
steveair2
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2017, 09:19:15 PM »

Thanks John,  I'm thinking for the first test flights, using rudder and elevator with low throws.  No elevons.
The rudder on the bottom should give a nice bank to a turn.

Still working long hours and weekends at the plant.  It's getting harder to keep the build pace up.
Today I cut and fit hatch supports from 1/32 birch plywood, which also made nice gussets. The plywood cuts easily with scissors. I fit some balsa spacers to support the pushrod tubes to the uprights, and have been filling and sanding all parts.  I've decided to screw the upper vertical fins on instead of gluing.  This will allow me to do a better job on the covering.
steveair2
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2017, 03:55:46 AM »

I received the new motor and battery from Heads Up Hobbies.  I'm new with electric motors and this Firepower 300 seems way to big.  My charger keeps giving open connection error when charging  so I have not been able to run either motor.  I'm also dealing with all the different electrical connectors needed.

The good news is I was looking at an old favorite of mine, the Roy Clough Martian Spaceship and found Bill Watson's great video here
 https://youtu.be/iBK0FUaAW4k

After learning what motor and battery Bill's using in his Martian Spaceship, I have a really good idea which motor to use.
I've also decided to remove all my servos and pushrods, put smaller servos into the trailing edge area.  
I've decided against the elevons and am going to build a new elevator, eliminating a servo.

I might have to build me a Martian Spaceship......or two!   

Konrad
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2017, 09:34:44 AM »

Wow, that Spaceship 3D's better than most of those profile foamies we sometimes saw in that video!

I  built one years ago from a set of plans published in Model Builder. As I recall mine was powered by an Astro Flight 035 drawing power from seven 800 mAh Sanyo round cells. I wish mine flew near as nice. Not sure how the power for M.S. displacement flight will correlate  to winged flight.

BTW that little chicken crest fin (handle) is key to controlling that roll instability we saw.

Do you have a link to the Firepower 300 motor?

Cut it twice and it's still too short!
steveair2
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2017, 12:02:50 PM »

Hi Konrad, here's the link to the Firepower 300.  Heads Up Hobbies has a great website and ship fast.  They also have great customer service.

http://www.headsuphobby.com/Firepower-300-Sport-1200kv-Outrunner-Brushless-Motor_p_1767.html

I think I might order the plans for the larger M.S. that were in the Model Builder magazine.
Konrad
Platinum Member

Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2017, 02:44:16 PM »

At 100watts that might be on the large side. As I recall the Speed 400 (Mabuchi 370) as sold by Graupner is a 75 watt class motor. But if you need the nose weight your  Firepower should work well.

I'm concerned about your charging issues. Are you plugging in the balance leads? Most charger are sent with the need for these plugs to be used as the default setting.

I thought the MS in the video was smaller that the one I built from the MB plans.

steveair2
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2017, 01:52:55 PM »

Thanks Konrad,  Yes I'm plugging in the balance leads.  I haven't had a whole lot of time to mess with it.  I Googled the problem and may have found the answer, I just haven't had time to work on it.

The MS in the video is the original Roy Clough design published in a 1954 Air Trails magazine.  The one you built was probably from the Skip Ruff plans published in a 1991 I think Model Builder magazine.  The Skip Ruff version was 60" long and .25 powered.  Would love to hear of your experience with yours.

Here's a picture of the Thing III before major surgery.

Konrad
Platinum Member

Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2017, 12:02:38 PM »

I’m sorry, but since you asked.  Grin  Now I wish my Martian Spaceship (MS) flew as well as the one in the video.

I built my Martion Spaceship (MS) when I first moved to San Francisco. I want to show the new gang that I wasn't your average Futaba/OS flier.  What could be further out there than a Martian Spaceship (MS)?

I figured that with the huge drag from the design that speed was not a strong point of the design. This lead me to think that a large diameter flat pitch prop might work best. I figured that a geared electric of four cycle motor might be a good match. Now I had an Astro 035 geared. These could turn much larger props than comparable powered IC engines.  I think I flew her on seven (maybe Cool red 800mAh Sanyo round cells and a reworked 12 X 4 prop.

While building the MS two issues stick in my mind. First was finding a building area to make the large diameter fuselage formers. Even as half clam shells they take up a lot of building area. The second was that the fuselage fences (rakes) distorted a lot as I tried to cover them.

As I was concerned with weight I covered my MS with a product called MicaFilm from Coverite. This was a real light, super strong and easy to control iron on film. Also the aluminum color looked like real aluminum. And the metallic red was gorgeous!

The flight profile was very sedate but unnerving! Yet she was stable. She always had that rock in anything other than a slight dive. Reading the Model Builder article it was mentioned that the little fin in front acted as dihedral. I think by the end, I had enlarged it to being near twice as large as what was shown on the plans. I went with real light wheels to try to conrol the mass coupling (pendulum effect) I also moved the mass of the batteries to be just above the thrust line (to compensate for the weight of the wheels and try to eliminate the pendulum effect).

In the end my landings look a lot more stable than the ones shown in the video.  My rolls looked slower, I think this is because I had a lot more mass with the old nicads. I did not have the power for a loop.

The fatal flaw in the design is that it took up a lot of space being a bulbous object. I gave it away at a club auction never to see it again.

In the end the project was a success as it showed the San Francisco crowd that I was a lunatic!

steveair2
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2017, 03:45:05 PM »

Thanks for the nice story Konrad.  It's definitely  an interesting model.  Sounds like you have a very extensive modeling history. 

I found some Solar D229 servos to replace the Hextronik HXT900.  The Solar D229's are much smaller.  I'm mounting the servos right at the trailing edge.
I'm lucky enough to be leaving for Oshkosh on Tuesday.  It will be a nice break from the long hours at the plant.

OZPAF
Titanium Member

Kudos: 38

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2017, 08:22:45 PM »

Enjoy your trip to Oshkosh. Thanks for all the updates.

John
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 124

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2017, 11:02:55 AM »

Are there any videos on this?

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
steveair2
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2017, 01:59:49 PM »

Thanks John, we had a great time at the show.  I met many Australian's and they were all very nice. 

Pit,  here's a link to videos of the show.    https://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/eaa-airventure-news-and-multimedia/airventure-videos
steveair2
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2017, 02:15:25 PM »

The show was absolutely incredible with two B-29's flying with many B-25's in formation, with other single engine fighters, and pyro stuff going off.

The plans built favorite of mine won the Gold Lindy in the plans built category.  I told two judges that hadn't seen the plane yet, that looking at it put
goose bumps on my butt hole.  They almost fell out of there golf carts laughing.  It took twelve years to build. The attention to detail was stunning.                             Bruce deserved the win.

steveair2
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2017, 02:52:42 PM »

Working on the rudder servo installation.  I'm sanding off the servo mounting flanges, and gluing the servos to the hatches.

steveair2
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2017, 01:26:49 AM »

Finished building servo mounts.  Final fitting of control surfaces and completed elevon control linkages.  I also ordered the third motor for this model.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: