Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 21, 2017, 04:30:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Thing III Build  (Read 3015 times)
Konrad
Platinum Member

Kudos: 27

United States United States

Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: August 07, 2017, 09:58:12 AM »

Don't tease us like that, Shocked what is the 3rd motor?

Cut it twice and it's still too short!
steveair2
Silver Member

Kudos: 4

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: August 07, 2017, 11:30:41 AM »

Konrad, due to my inexperience with electric powered models, I keep ordering motors that are too heavy for my model.
The original Thing III weighed ten ounces and used a Cox .020 for power.
I think I can bring mine in at around eight ounces and am using the motor in the link below for power.

http://www.headsuphobby.com/HURC-300-Blue-Wonder-1600kv-Brushless-Motor_p_1980.html
Konrad
Platinum Member

Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: August 07, 2017, 11:57:14 AM »

If you come in close to 8oz you will only need about 40 watts for real nice sport flying.  That blue wonder is a 100 watt motor (10amp x 11volts minus some inefficiencies).

For sport flying I like to aim for 50 watts to 100 watts per pound. I've flown with as little as 35 watt per pound but that was just to prove I could, really not much fun.

But as you will likely need more nose weight, the 25 gram motor should be fine. Just use a smaller prop and enjoy the run time. Motor , prop and battery selection is a science you will pick up soon. It actually is much easier than selecting the old glow power set up.

steveair2
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2017, 03:04:50 AM »

Thanks much for your valued advice Konrad, I need all I can get.  I think my next task needs to be getting a quality soldering iron and getting a soldering station set up.
Also need to sort out my charging issues that I mentioned before.   Due to six and seven day work weeks, I put the charging issues low on my to do list.
It will happen soon.   

At Oshkosh, I attended a forum given by Barnaby Wainfan.  He designed the Thing III model and the Facet Mobile, a Low AR homebuilt airplane.
It was a very interesting discussion of low AR aircraft that has me wanting to build something similar to the Facet Mobile.
I really like the idea of a scaled up Thing III.

Even with the long hours at the plant, I'm also helping my friend Jim build a Legal Eagle.  Three days a month.

Now I'm getting the nose lengthened for the smaller, lighter motor and am repairing the old pushrod tube exit areas.
Getting close to final sanding!

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Thing III Build
steveair2
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2017, 03:06:11 AM »

Boy,  Heads Up Hobbies likes me.  When I build a new model I order three or four motors for it.  I have the Blue Wonder mounted and am still having CG issues.
In this article http://library.modelaviation.com/ma/1994/12/thing-iii   Barnaby says to keep the tail as light as possible.  I did that by changing the solid control surfaces and lower fin and rudder to built up structures.  This article was from the early ninety's, so I'm not sure what type of radio and battery's that were used in his model.

In the article, he says he had to add a ounce and a half of weight to the nose to balance the model.   I've moved all my servos as far aft as possible and am still a bit nose heavy.  Now I'm planning on taking the Blue Wonder motor off and using yet a smaller motor and battery combination.  The funny thing is that I have had the smaller motor for a year or more on another model that has not flown yet.  It's only two tenths of an ounce lighter, but the lighter battery will help as well.

The motor I'm installing next is this one  

http://www.headsuphobby.com/HURC-250-Sport-1400kv-Outrunner-Brushless-Motor_p_1589.html

« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 03:26:51 AM by steveair2 » Logged
OZPAF
Titanium Member

Kudos: 38

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2017, 02:07:50 AM »

That should work ok Steve. I assume you will be running a 2s battery pack as they recommend for your weight range with a 8x4 prop?

John
steveair2
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2017, 10:57:31 PM »

Thanks very much for your input John.  We've been working seven days a week at the plant in the Texas heat.  All my projects are going slow.
I missed a few pictures of my canopy mold.   To get the width I wanted, I had to glue two, two by fours together.
Trimmed the block down on the table saw, band saw and belt sander.   I also did some work on the nose gear mount and the lower vertical stabilizer mount.

OZPAF
Titanium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2017, 05:44:45 AM »

Hope your workload eases a bit for you Steve and you find a bit more time to build and finish your model.

John
bgrove
Gold Member

Kudos: 3

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2017, 12:58:24 PM »

Steve:  This is a fun build to watch.  I can't wait to see how it turns out and which motor ultimately is the winner  Smiley
Bill G
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: August 24, 2017, 12:13:00 AM »

Boy,  Heads Up Hobbies likes me.  When I build a new model I order three or four motors for it.  I have the Blue Wonder mounted and am still having CG issues.
In this article http://library.modelaviation.com/ma/1994/12/thing-iii   Barnaby says to keep the tail as light as possible.  I did that by changing the solid control surfaces and lower fin and rudder to built up structures.  This article was from the early ninety's, so I'm not sure what type of radio and battery's that were used in his model.

In the article, he says he had to add a ounce and a half of weight to the nose to balance the model.   I've moved all my servos as far aft as possible and am still a bit nose heavy.  Now I'm planning on taking the Blue Wonder motor off and using yet a smaller motor and battery combination.  The funny thing is that I have had the smaller motor for a year or more on another model that has not flown yet.  It's only two tenths of an ounce lighter, but the lighter battery will help as well.

The motor I'm installing next is this one  

http://www.headsuphobby.com/HURC-250-Sport-1400kv-Outrunner-Brushless-Motor_p_1589.html

That and the higher kv version are personal favorites, for size/weight/power. Have a number of them in models. Used the lower kv in a Comet Albartros on 3s, and the higher kv in a Miles Aerovan on 2s, for example.  I also bought that blue wonder from them, still sitting in a drawer.  Too powerful and heavy for anything I've built in recent times.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGqNdDvahmI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTAuLG37PKw
steveair2
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: August 24, 2017, 04:55:08 AM »

Thanks much for all the kind words and advise from you guy's.  We're still working seven days a week until September.   Septembers schedule is not posted yet but I expect the same.  The good news is that since I felt my job is robbing me of my hobby time, I've decided to take my hobby to the job.  Monday I converted a drawer of my tool box into a model building station.  It's just the right height when sitting at it.  Now, during breaks and lunch I can build.

My sour attitude on the job has changed now that I get hobby time at work.  I'm building the Speed Job.  A plan from a 1937 Model Airplane News.  Claims speeds of seventy miles an hour rubber free flight.  I'm building it because it looks cool, I don't care how fast it goes.   Maybe I can get my coworkers interested in model building.
I'm really happy to be able to build models at work.  I may start a tool box build thread.  I love it!

steveair2
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: August 26, 2017, 04:27:39 AM »

My work gave me Saturday off!  So I stayed up late and sanded my canopy plug.  Nothing like belt sanders and beer!
I roughed it out on the belt sander, and then used 60 grit glued to a two by four.  final by hand with one hundred grit.
It still needs some final shaping and sanding.  

The original block was two, two by fours glued together.   The glue line down the middle definitely helps with the shaping.  
This is a fun part of the project using my eyes instead of the ruler.  

OZPAF
Titanium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: August 26, 2017, 05:11:39 AM »

You have a good eye for 3d shapes - nice work.

John
steveair2
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: August 26, 2017, 07:01:03 PM »

Thanks John,  by shaping first the side view and then the top view, the rounding was very easy.  I just bought a two liter bottle of soda water from the dollar store.
I'll dump out the soda a see if I can't get a decent canopy out of the bottle. 

I also had do make a balsa wood run.  It's a twenty two minute drive to the closest Midwest balsa distributor.  They we're out of 1/16" x 3", I had to get two inch wide sheets.   I felt lucky to leave with the wood I needed because of the poor selection. 

OZPAF
Titanium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: August 26, 2017, 08:13:25 PM »

I have trouble getting good balsa as well. It actually makes the idea of buying decent CNC cut kits a bit more attractive. The better suppliers - such as VMC seem to include good stock from what I have read. Unfortunately - many are just a bit expensive for me.

Anyway happy building - good luck with your canopy.

John

steveair2
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: August 27, 2017, 01:58:44 AM »

I agree John.  I've been wanting to build some Volare Products kits.  Short kits for ten dollars. I'm asking for this one for Christmas,

http://volareproducts.com/BUY/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_18&products_id=795&zenid=4iauj91or9io7hjvgo0fs37242

Today I visited my Dad in the hospital, he's doing much better.  Stopped for balsa on the way home, and then took my wife and Mom out for Margaritas.

Then I sanded my canopy plug through to four hundred grit and installed the nose wheel strut bushing.  I have to work tomorrow, Sunday.

I'm tired but will be okay.

OZPAF
Titanium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: August 27, 2017, 04:11:03 AM »

That's a nice looking kit - very tempting.
All the best for your dad and hope you get some more time off soon.

happy building.

John
steveair2
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: August 27, 2017, 10:29:17 PM »

Thanks John.  I only had to work six hours today.  After work I welded some nails to some 1/4" strap, and mounted my plug.  The bottle was too short for my plug so I tried forming it anyways just to see what happens.   The plastic heats and shrinks somewhat like iron on covering.  The thicker bottom part of the bottle does not.
I'll have to rethink this one.  

« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 11:02:49 PM by steveair2 » Logged
OZPAF
Titanium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: August 28, 2017, 12:31:45 AM »

Steve the articles I have seen on this technique show the bottle bottom cut off and the sharp curvature end of the canopy pushed into the retained neck.
I also remember that the plug must be wedged in very tightly with scrap timber under it inside the bottle.
you may just have enough length if you do it this way.
john
steveair2
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: August 28, 2017, 01:39:00 PM »

Thanks John,  I re read the article I posted earlier in this thread and will try again. 

http://www.murocmodelmasters.org/canopy.pdf
steveair2
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: October 01, 2017, 08:11:45 PM »

September 5th, I found my Dad dead beside his hot tub.  We buried him on the 26th.  We're still working six and seven days a week at the plant.
Staying busy does help with my loss.  At the first of the year I'll see weather or not I need to find a new job. 

I keep deviating from the canopy forming instructions I posted.  This time I tried a lever type setup.  The instructions say to stuff in blocks of wood and leave them in.  Add more as needed and leave them in.  This is what must be done.  This one was almost usable but was most useful in forming experience and deciding on the final design of the balsa canopy structure.   
Konrad
Platinum Member

Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: October 01, 2017, 09:09:21 PM »

My condolences for the loss of your father.

Are they out sourcing your job (work)?

steveair2
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: October 02, 2017, 12:07:02 PM »

Thank you Konrad.   No outsourcing.  They are starting a third shift but expect the maintenance department to work overlapping shifts.
So the production people will be getting a break, but the maintenance department will not.  We've worked six and seven, ten hour days for a year now. The weekend shifts are only six hours.  I like the job, but I have to have more free time.  The ten hours days are okay but I need weekends off.
I'm hoping that once the third shift is running smooth,  we can have the weekends off.   
Bill G
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: October 04, 2017, 12:18:29 AM »

My condolences also.

Gotta love plastic forming.  Never tried the pop bottle method but it looks promising.  I've still been slamming plastic down over molds, using a heat gun.  Latest advancements are rigging up the gun on a stand above the mold, versus trying to manage both with 2 hands.  Not exactly high tech. Grin  Building a vacuum former had been in the file 13 to do list for ages.  Thin acetate does form well, if you can get it right though.  Last one I made for a Meteor at around 5" length weighs 1.5 grams..
steveair2
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: October 05, 2017, 12:31:22 PM »

Thank you Bill,  and thanks for checking out my build thread.  Your models are amazing, thanks for sharing.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: