Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 19, 2018, 04:19:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Thing III Build  (Read 7319 times)
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 152

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: January 10, 2018, 10:30:58 PM »

That's an interesting transmitter package Steve. I had a look at the specs and it has an adjustable power range up to 150mw. I would check your FCC's requirements as I suspect the limit may be 100mw as it is here.

Good luck with a new position - do they think that workers are actually robotic - they don't need sleep or rest?

The "insect" is close now - covering next.

John
steveair2
Silver Member

Kudos: 6

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: February 17, 2018, 06:47:37 PM »

Thanks John, I will keep the radio on a lower power level, and sorry for the delay in reply.  Today is my first day off in a month or so.  I am happy to report I found a new job thee and a half miles from my house at Pepsico.  I competed my first week yesterday.   Now I will be busy studying PLC and PAC control systems in my free time but hope to cover this model soon.

Pictures show my build table with Thing 3 and parts for the Speed Job I built at my last job, and a mountain of Mountain Dew at my new job!
Should have much more free time now!
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Thing III Build
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: February 18, 2018, 08:51:53 AM »

Good luck with the new job Steve. That elliptical wing looks nice. Too much sugar there for me Steve Smiley

All the best
John
steveair2
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: February 27, 2018, 10:09:35 PM »

Last night I tried to start covering my X3.  I thought I'd try Coverite Space Age Film for the first time.  Nothing wrong with the Coverite film but it distorted the light frame very much.  Once I saw the distortion I immediately peeled the covering off.  I was surprised at how easy it peeled off the frame.  This covering is for larger type models.
I think I might try Coverite Coverlite, but I am still considering my options. 
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: February 27, 2018, 11:42:57 PM »

Have you looked at using mylar(as used by Flyguy)

his comments in a previous post

I would strongly advise against using polyspan on anything under 40", I made that mistake on my 34" Jabberwock and it added way way too much weight, believe me it would be way too heavy for the Comet Pepper. It's great for Wakefield wings, but anything smaller than that is a mistake, in my view - for ex I used it on my Coupe and would only use Mylar on that now, it's overkill.

I use polyspan lite (from Mike Woodhouse) on the fuselage only, then give it two coats of 50% nitrate, yes it's still porous but it doesn't matter for the fuselage. I just rub the frame with glue stick and then place it on, pull it smooth, let it dry and trim, then shrink, I like to just hit it with a heat gun. I really like it, you can work with it and it's the one thing I can get a perfect job with everytime (Mylar is trickier). If you don't want to get polyspan lite (seems like it's only available overseas), then I'd go with tissue, or maybe tissue over mylar, or even a light silk, just for the fuselage.

I wouldn't use polyspan lite for the flying surfaces though because it's too porous and there's no reason to add weight with a lot of dope. I use 1/3 mil Mylar for the wing, 1/4 mil for stab and rudder, again attached with glue stick, that's it, then just spray it with a coat or two of paint. That's very light yet tough. I used to think that Mylar doesn't add any strength but that's not true, I stuck 1/3 mil mylar on a floppy wing and it was pretty damn stiff after shrinking. Another interesting thing I noticed on landing is that tissue seems to get sliced easily by the astroturf, I think because it's stiffer, whereas the mylar actually seems to hold up better, doesn't slice, maybe some dents but you can shrink those out.

John
Konrad
Platinum Member

Kudos: 35

Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: February 28, 2018, 11:22:22 AM »

Litespan (Coverlite) works well for me on these small RC craft. It has the best of both tissue and iron on covering along with the worst of both!
http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php?topic=12348.msg128596#msg128596
https://coverite.hobbico.com/covering/covq1800.html

If you want to stay with the traditional iron on films I’d use RA µlite
http://www.homefly.com/products.asp?id=31

Solite, Nelson, (Microlite), films are ok but they are a bit difficult to use. It can stick to itself while handling it. And it is not very stable as the ambient temperature changes.
https://coverite.hobbico.com/covering/covq0240.html

If buying Coverite products you might want to do it soon. Hobbico the umbrella company for Coverite is filing for bankruptcy. Now most of their light weight products are rebranded Solarfim products.

You might want to have a read of the first page of this thread, it might give you some insight on how to film cover light structures.
http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php?topic=22619.0

Cut it twice and it's still too short!
steveair2
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: March 12, 2018, 07:09:17 PM »

Thanks for the great advise from you two.  I really appreciate your input and advise.  I used the Coverite Coverlite and I really like it.
I've been real busy as usual, but I'll keep at it.
Konrad
Platinum Member

Kudos: 35

Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: March 12, 2018, 07:22:25 PM »

I've learned that the english firm Solarfilm is no more. Solarfilm was the OEM for many of the Coverite products. If there are any Solarfilm products you like it might be worth hoarding any old new stock.

Cut it twice and it's still too short!
steveair2
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: May 13, 2018, 12:03:01 AM »

Thanks much for your input Konrad.  I did end up ordering the white Coverlite off of Ebay.  Hate to see this covering discontinued, it would have been my favorite.
I managed to get the control surfaces covered, hinged and installed today.  Also installed servo's, control horns and linkages.  
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: May 14, 2018, 05:34:27 AM »

Good to see you back on the project Steve. It looks wild - the canopy and the colours really set it off.  Good luck with the maiden - just be careful with the roll control.

John
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: