Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
March 26, 2017, 09:00:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Elastic bands (UK)  (Read 380 times)
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 34

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: February 16, 2017, 09:44:31 AM »

OK I'm going for the Most Boring Thread award.
I have a real problem getting hold of good elastic bands in different sizes. Flitehook do a range, very cheaply, but they decompose within months. Shops have either one size, or those horrible multicoloured ones. Does anyone know of a good supplier in the UK?
Bill
RalphS
Gold Member

Kudos: 14

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 11:53:12 AM »

You could try Staples or other office suppliers.  I am still using DT bands from the box I bought before I retired 20 years ago - a big box.
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 12:07:35 PM »

Hello Ralph
No, Staple hereabouts just do giant bags of one size I don't want. I wonder why yours haven't turned into sticky goo?
Mefot
Silver Member

Kudos: 1

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 12:45:46 PM »

You could try these Bill;

http://www.rubberbandsuk.com/Rubber-Bands

I haven't used them myself but they look to have a good range of sizes  Smiley
Hepcat
Platinum Member

Kudos: 129

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 06:35:30 PM »

Bill,
It was only yesterday that I looked on the Internet to see if anyone sold thin rubber bands.  I didn't find any thinner that 1/16" but I did find the Alliance Rubber Company (founded 1923) which had a range of 26 sizes and each in three different grades, soft, medium and high tensile.  However what did surprise me was that they gave figures for: Elongation, Permanent set, specific gravity and Durometer (hardness) reading. I was even more surprized to find that their softest grade had an elongation of 7.75 which compares well with around 10 for our Super Sport. I guess I shall continue using thin stuff stripped off SS. I usually just tie a knot to make a loop although it s easier to get the loop size you want by joining the ends with cyano.
John

john thompson
Bronze Member

Kudos: 4

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 04:09:08 AM »

Bill . I buy big boxes from Staples or similar suppliers . I usually use 1/16 square of varying lengths for my power models, stretched to almost breaking point .I have always found them satisfactory BUT you must store them in the dark even on the field.  Do not let sunlight get at them , on a hot  sunny summers day I have had them deteriorate within hours. I would not do a full days flying with out changing the bands , they are disposable items . I never understand why some people actually want or try  to reuse them , a false economy in my book . john
rodders67
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 07:20:04 AM »

Here in the UK the Post Office use excellent rubber bands, so speak to your local postman.  He throws away lots  and  I have used them for mounting the wing on my Lulu.
Rodney
DavidJP
Platinum Member

Kudos: 17

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 07:33:11 AM »

I understand that posties are instructed not to throw away bands because hedgehogs think they are worms and try and eat them.  Only know because I asked as the source dried up!!  By chance I bought a bag of assorted (which) I have had for about three years in an office e supply shop in Ripon.  It seems you just have to forage or buy in bulk.  One Staples varies from another

too.
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 08:36:45 AM »

Thanks John,
Sounds like my problem is one of correct storage, not availability
mick66
Silver Member

Kudos: 8

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2017, 09:12:10 AM »

Hi

I find flitehook band are fine.  I buy a shed load each year at the Nats ... they're cheap as chips compared to the overall cost of attending.  I always throw them away after every flight though ... and never put a oily hand in the main packet per se.  I fact I have to cut them off my power models.  I did buy a box of really thin ones off eBay for about 5 quid ... like 1000 or something.  From a proper supplier so to speak.  Ideal for small sport models and tails.

Cheers

Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: