Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 17, 2017, 02:51:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Fokker Dr1 for indoor scale - Build  (Read 3688 times)
Rich Moore
Platinum Member

Kudos: 36

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: April 19, 2017, 08:30:30 AM »

Forecast looks good for the next couple of days. I just need to find the time to get out there. I've been neglecting other things, like the family, to get this ready and other, more boring tasks are yapping at my ankles. The wife will be glad when this is over, but then there's the outdoor nationals in just a months time! She is so going to hate me.

It wasn't me
tross
Gold Member

Kudos: 23

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: April 19, 2017, 12:30:43 PM »

I am asking myself why I built another Dr1.

Because you're really good at it?

T
Rich Moore
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: April 19, 2017, 04:28:41 PM »

Well, that's a nice thing to say, thank you Tony.

It wasn't me
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 22

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: April 19, 2017, 05:26:33 PM »

I am asking myself why I built another Dr1.

Because you're really good at it?

T

And a perfectionist?
tross
Gold Member

Kudos: 23

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: April 19, 2017, 07:43:36 PM »

You welcome Rich, the truth is easy.
Good luck and good times. Smiley

Tony
Rich Moore
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: April 20, 2017, 05:34:57 AM »

And a perfectionist?

Nope! I think I'm a sucker for punishment/ a challenge.

I tried a plastic prop (Peck). It was only 7" because that was all I had, so a bit on the small side (room for 8"), but it showed promise and was less feisty. Partly due to the small size, but a lot to do with the fine pitch, I think. I have put together a blank to carve an 8" wooden prop with a similar P/d to try. Wind is more than predicted at the moment, but hopefully it'll calm down this evening.

I have guns and cylinders etc waiting for installation, but I would like to see this fly before putting details on. Ideally. I have tomorrow to repair any dings and finish this thing.

It wasn't me
Rich Moore
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: April 21, 2017, 08:22:11 AM »

New propeller with a finer pitch (p/d of 1.1), perfect flying weather, at least for outdoor models, so I took the opportunity to try to get this thing to fly. Usual shenanigans, but it is now sort of flying. Only 7.5 seconds by my reckoning, but 50% of a qualifying flight is a good enough place to start for me. It is flying on power but spiralling in when the power has run down. I think a shorter motor should make the difference. I haven't taken it past 550 turns on 6 strands of 1/8" yet.

I was testing it on 4 strands of 1/8" but it was struggling to overcome the drag of the three wings. Upping the power to six strands and adding right thrust seemed to do the trick. It doesn't like downthrust at all.

Video link below. Flies nicely out of shot, but after approx 5 seconds, the power tails off and it spiralled in. The final flight zooms but I'm fairly sure it was the breeze. I called it a day before I broke it, and so I can get the details on.

https://youtu.be/KFg5uqzBBJY

It wasn't me
Pete Fardell
Titanium Member

Kudos: 53

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: April 21, 2017, 03:31:03 PM »

That's looking very hopeful to me, Rich! Should be easier to trim in the calm indoors (apart from the walls and lack of soft grass on the floor of course). Good luck and see you Sunday!
OZPAF
Titanium Member

Kudos: 39

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: April 21, 2017, 07:07:34 PM »

Rich you would have been the only hard surface to hit on that nice field Smiley I hope you have another chance to do some more trimming.

John
Rich Moore
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: April 21, 2017, 07:12:00 PM »

Thanks Pete. Yep, it'll be interesting to see what it does off the floor! It goes around (so might miss the walls), and I'm sure it hates having the wind behind it (like its big sister) so maybe it'll excel indoors. I'm jealous that you're all packed ready to go - I'm still sticking things on. See you Sunday.

Hey John! No point breaking it now. I need to see what it does in a sports hall in still air.

It wasn't me
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: April 22, 2017, 11:37:05 AM »

My Peanut one dod a similar thing but indoors. I did try right and down thrust which helped but finally it was changing to 4 strands of 1/16th from 2 of 3/32nd that really helped do the trick.

Rich Moore
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: April 24, 2017, 01:48:42 PM »

Before I report on my Dr1's performance in the 2017 indoor nationals, I'd like to share a few pictures I took in the last chances of construction time before the event.

This first batch shows the 'behind the prop' freewheel clutch, as introduced by Mike (ZK-AUD) which works very well. The prop is of a pitch similar to a Peck plastic prop and gave a more tame performance (when flying outdoors). The prop retainer clip is a bit of a fiddle, but it is necessary to remove the prop so that the cowling can be removed. Then the scale prop assembly, which hasn't got the clutch gubbins on it, can be installed for static judging purposes. I'll take a piccy of the Dr1 with scale prop attached later.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Fokker Dr1 for indoor scale - Build

It wasn't me
Rich Moore
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: April 24, 2017, 01:55:30 PM »

Details were being made when I could and outdoor trimming wasn't possible.

To enable me to build the engine 'off the model' and save them from trimming damage, I stuck the cylinders on a paper sleeve which can be slipped on and off the nose-block. I never bothered to glue this, so it can still be removed. It can also be rotated to expose the best looking cylinders - these are a bit rushed and as a result, some are better than others. Cylinders are conventional - paper tubes and thread.

The pilot is blue foam and looks a bit like Deirdre off Corrie with those goggles on!

It wasn't me
Rich Moore
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: April 24, 2017, 02:00:29 PM »

I am quite pleased with the guns, especially as they are rushed. The ammo feeder is a bit crummy, but effective enough. One had to be butchered a bit to make them fit. I must like them because I've taken quite a few pics.

The styrene turtledeck covers took a bit of fitting, but look OK. They didn't quite fit and needed reshaping. I think I have mentioned previously that my vac-form wasn't right. Fortunately soldering irons are quite good for localised heating.

It wasn't me
Rich Moore
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: April 24, 2017, 02:03:08 PM »

Finally, the model was sort of ready. I couldn't resist getting big sister out. I forgot how big this was. It is also a bit shabby and needs a refurb.

It wasn't me
Rich Moore
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: April 24, 2017, 02:34:17 PM »

So, on Sunday...

I just about made it to the venue in time for the only scheduled trimming session. Expecting a potential zoom, which is normally followed by a dive into the ground, I cautiously applied 400 turns and let the model go with the same trim as my best outdoor attempt a couple of days earlier. It simply drove about on the floor, without any danger of lifting off at all. OK, but that was it for pre-nats trimming!

I upped the turns for round 1 - more bottom feeding, just quicker. Video here for your amusement: https://youtu.be/Ixjp00frxIU
Round 2 - I shortened the motor and maxed the turns - more bottom feeding. Video here for more chuckles:https://youtu.be/Xcgt7wUbPh4

We were fortunate to get an unscheduled trimming session before rounds 3&4. I upped the motor to 6 strands and started to see air under the wheels, but the model was banking too hard to the left and it held its wing skid on the floor for a couple of flights. Increasing the up starboard aileron helps to a degree but if overdone, the model flips out. More right thrust stopped having an effect.

I was running out of ideas until my 13 year old said to me "Why don't you put a lump of plasticene on the wing tip?". Clever boy!

So, flight 3 - I reduced nose-weight and upped the power to 8 strands and was rewarded with air beneath wings, but not for long as the model side-slips left into the ground. Getting somewhere now, but after the 'flight' I notice the starboard aileron was set to neutral - I failed to pre-flight check the settings. Must have been nerves! But OK - one more attempt left. Video here: https://youtu.be/GIuYaCCkX8c

Flight 4 - more plasticene on the starboard wing, aileron set correctly and then I wound the thing right up! Released the model and then the motor peg slipped out and the fully wound model balled up in the front end of the model. End of chances!

No real damage done. Just a bit of torn tissue. Progress was steady, and there is potential here. I really just need to spend some time with it. I hope to sort it out and give it an opportunity to redeem itself.

It wasn't me
F F modeller
Titanium Member

Kudos: 51

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: April 24, 2017, 02:40:56 PM »

I managed to miss every flight attempt that you made, Rich Sad  ... the third video certainly shows that it will progress.

Mefot
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: April 24, 2017, 03:10:34 PM »

Nice to see all those detail shots. The guns look very good.

Pity all your efforts came to nought but the potential is there and I'm sure you'll soon have it sorted  Smiley
Pete Fardell
Titanium Member

Kudos: 53

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: April 24, 2017, 03:23:36 PM »

It looks great! I really thought you'd cracked it with Flight 3 and reckon Flight 4 would have been the one but for the very unlucky peg slippage. (Pretty healthy static mark too- beating both the Strachan Puss Moth and the Sephton Lacey!)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 03:35:21 PM by Pete Fardell » Logged
Rich Moore
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: April 24, 2017, 03:33:03 PM »

Thanks. Not being particularly confident with documentation requirements, I had a chat with Paul Briggs for some feedback regarding my documentation. He said (my 3mm MDF) boards were like moving furniture about. Anyway, he was quite harsh/ honest about my docs and its shortfalls, which helps me improve future attempts. It isn't often easy to see other peoples documentation. I would quite like to have a good nosey and wish people would leave it on show like the models. I am pleased with my score though, but it could have been better! However, without a flight to back it up the documentation is all academic.

It wasn't me
RalphS
Gold Member

Kudos: 18

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: April 25, 2017, 04:49:15 AM »

It isn't often easy to see other peoples documentation. I would quite like to have a good nosey and wish people would leave it on show like the models. I am pleased with my score though, but it could have been better! However, without a flight to back it up the documentation is all academic.

Not only other's documentation but also to see how the scoring works.  How does one know what needs to improve to move up the board unless you can see where you are failing and others are succeeding?  The only part of the competition scores that I really understand is the duration part of the Peanut event. I found outdoor duration flying is easy to understand but scale modelling is a bit iffy.
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: April 25, 2017, 05:10:24 AM »

Ralph,  were the scoresheets not made availbale and picked up?
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: April 25, 2017, 05:15:56 AM »

I an't remember from your build but have you any washout as this seemed essential in my Peanut but otherwise the flight characteristics very familiar!  Keep trying though because it will get there.  Although I don't think it can be substantiated particularly to me the smaller strand motor was less butch and I felt did not produce so much torque to,which mine seemed very sensitive - the more grunt the more it wound in!
RalphS
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: April 25, 2017, 10:39:52 AM »

Ralph,  were the scoresheets not made availbale and picked up?

Ah, being a relative newcomer to indoor scale I didn't see any in 2016 and assumed that there were none this year so didn't look.  I did get away a bit early (I had forgotten some of my pills - don't tell my wife!) and left as soon as the event finished.  I suppose those not collected were binned.  It is not all that important.  It was a good day.
RalphS
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: April 25, 2017, 10:40:15 AM »

I can't remember from your build but have you any washout as this seemed essential in my Peanut but otherwise the flight characteristics very familiar!  Keep trying though because it will get there.  Although I don't think it can be substantiated particularly to me the smaller strand motor was less butch and I felt did not produce so much torque to,which mine seemed very sensitive - the more grunt the more it wound in!

Don't know what this is.  It appeared as I posted the item above.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: