Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
June 25, 2017, 06:37:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Two-piece wings?  (Read 556 times)
Duncan McBride
Bronze Member

Kudos: 4

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: March 14, 2017, 11:35:00 AM »

I checked the FAC rules and tried to search the forums, but didn't find an answer:  Is it ok to build a two-piece wing when the original plan shows a single structure?  I'm building some larger OT rubber jobs and would like to fit them into a more reasonable box for travelling.  Am hoping that as long as I don't use carbon or other type materials it would be ok.  Apologies if this has already been answered somewhere before.

Thanks.
Duncan
Bredehoft
Gold Member

Kudos: 40

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 01:12:33 PM »

Duncan,

That is an interesting question.  I don't know that it has been asked before.  I would suggest that you submit your question to the FAC Keeper of the Rules - Dave Mitchell.  Here is his email address, as shown on the FAC site for rules questions:  webmaster@flyingacesclub.com

I know he has an account on here, but I don't know that he will stumble upon this question.

I will also contact him and refer him to this thread.

--george

Volare Products Blog: http://www.volareproducts.com/
Volare Products Store:  http://www.volareproducts.com/BUY/
Follow on Facebook:  http://www.facebook.com/VolareProducts
Duncan McBride
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 04:29:33 PM »

Just wrote him, thanks.
RayE
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 07:30:05 PM »

Duncan, FWIW in the UK we are allowed to use two piece wings, when the originals were one piece, in our Vintage and Classic classes.

Ray
BG
Platinum Member

Kudos: 59

Canada Canada

Me with F1B - epic retrieval (flew 10km after DT)

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 05:09:54 PM »

And do tell us what you find out

F1B guy but its not my fault, Tony made me do it.
Duncan McBride
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 09:04:56 PM »

All right, I heard from Dave Mitchell, he believed it would be allowed and forwarded the question to Dan Driscoll, who agreed.  Dan reports that lots of modelers "make their models so
they can be disassembled for easier transport.  Detachable wings and tail feathers and plug in landing gear are common." 

I'm glad I asked.  I have a 60-inch box for all the rubber jobs, but the Record Holder wing is 64 inches.  I don't have room in the van for another big box, so something had to give!
Bredehoft
Gold Member

Kudos: 40

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 10:27:53 PM »

Duncan,  max wingspan for OT Stick and OT Fuselage is 36" in the FAC.

--george

Volare Products Blog: http://www.volareproducts.com/
Volare Products Store:  http://www.volareproducts.com/BUY/
Follow on Facebook:  http://www.facebook.com/VolareProducts
RayE
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 08:21:31 AM »

Duncan,

So, when you've finished the Record Holder can we have a pic? Or maybe during construction!

Ray
Starduster
Platinum Member

Kudos: 28

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2017, 08:22:09 AM »

Duncan,  max wingspan for OT Stick and OT Fuselage is 36" in the FAC.

--george

So, then this begs the question:

Do SAM Rules allow two-piece wings?

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty..."
calgoddard
Gold Member

Kudos: 13

FAC Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2017, 11:02:34 AM »

Duncan -

As you probably already know, there are many ways to removably connect wing half sections.

I built a coupe and followed the technique recommended by HEPCAT. It worked extremely well. That coupe has a polyhedral wing.

It uses mating segments of .062 inch and .031 inch music wire, and 3/32 inch and 1/16 inch Aluminum tubing, respectively.

You would probably need to increase the diameter of these segments because of the greater size of the wing of your Record Holder.

The innermost ribs are faced on their inner sides with 1/64 inch plywood. The key feature is that the segments are glued in place on the spars so that they extend perpendicular to the vertical plane of the inner ribs. This eliminates any need to bend the music wire segments to try to replicate the dihedral angle.  The segments are wrapped with Spider line and glued with epoxy.

The friction fit, plus the hold-down rubber bands, are sufficient to hold the wing half sections together.  

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Two-piece wings?
Duncan McBride
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2017, 04:40:51 PM »

Hi George, I mistyped FAC rules when I really meant SAM rules.  Sorry if that caused a wild goose chase.  I'm going under the assumption that this whole thread will apply to SAM events as well.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it!  Here is a photo of how I've done the Lanzo Stick, the Record Holder will be identical unless this doesn't work.  It is a 3/16 dowel pin with aluminum tubes glued into the first two ribs.  The root rib is faced with 1/32 ply, the next one with 1/64.  A small 1/16 wire locating pin keeps it aligned.  As Cal has described, the rubber band hold-down should keep things together.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Two-piece wings?
calgoddard
Gold Member

Kudos: 13

FAC Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2017, 10:06:03 PM »

Duncan -

That's a very nice construction for joining wing half sections in your Lanzo Stick.  Good work.

I might increase the size of the dowel pin, aluminum tubes and locating pin in your Record Holder. That's a huge model.

It must be fun to fly these Lanzo models but you need a lot of rubber!
FLYBOY49
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2017, 12:37:04 AM »

Duncan,

I am sure that there are a lot of 2 and 3 piece wings in SAM contests.  The SAM CHAMPS this year is on Boulder City, Nevada during the 3 week in October.  You would be welcomed with great times playing with guys from all over the world  and much good advice.

I might advise you to join us on SAMTalk, our chat room.  You do not have to be a SAM member to use our chat room. You can also find lots of interesting stuff on our SAM home page. (SAM = Society of Antique Modelers.)

Lots of Lanzo models will be there.

BTW: I find it best to make the wings break apart in straight sections rather than at a diehedral joint, too.

Google Antique Modelers and find the home page.  Many building tips and other stuff of helpful interest there.

To fly at the Champs all you need are AMA membership and SAM membership.  We'd love to have you join and attend the Champs as well as many other SAM contests around the country.

Van...
Duncan McBride
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2017, 03:04:50 PM »

Hey, thanks everyone.  I am am member of SAM.  I should check in on the forum more often, I have it set so I don't get email and I have to go sign on to Yahoo to see it.  I should have started there.

I'll be starting on the Record Holder after I get the Stick finished - another week or so.  I'll post some pictures of the wings when I get some wood pinned down - they're gorgeous!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: