Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
May 01, 2017, 02:04:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: CA Delivery Systems?  (Read 741 times)
Jack Plane
Gold Member

Kudos: 7

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: March 15, 2017, 05:21:05 AM »

I'm interested to  achieve a more certain delivery - i.e. the right quantity into the chosen location only - of thin and medium CA, and one which isn't quite so wasteful.

My usual method is to squeeze a puddle into a pistachio shell, then pick some up with a bit of wire and deliver it onto its destination, going back for more if needed.  What's left in the shell is often as much as is applied onto the parts in the first place, so experiencing 1:1 wastage.

This method works fine with medium CA but doesn't work well with thin CA:  the very properties that make it wick, make it too slippy to stay on the wire!

Going straight on with the optional thin nozzle you get with the bottle is very risky - the conical nozzle means nothing emerges for a while... then you get a bloody great jet of the stuff!

Do people use syringes or the suchlike, and if so doesn't the needle get blocked really quickly?  Is there a method of un-bonding the needle or does one just raid a hospital for a decent supply?

Jon
Bredehoft
Gold Member

Kudos: 40

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 05:31:30 AM »

most CA manufacturers offer supplemental tips or teflon tubing that will create a much smaller aperture for the thin CA.  It doesn't solve the conical issue 100%, but you do have a much longer path for the glue to travel at the reduced diameter.

--george

Volare Products Blog: http://www.volareproducts.com/
Volare Products Store:  http://www.volareproducts.com/BUY/
Follow on Facebook:  http://www.facebook.com/VolareProducts
leop
Silver Member

Kudos: 3

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 07:44:58 AM »

The photo shows the thin CA applicators that I and the Wright Stuff students use.  The wire is 0.020" with the loop sandwiched between two Popsicle sticks.  The gap between the wires is also about 0.020" and the gap tapers a bit toward the open end.  The thin CA is held by capillary action and flows out when the tip is touched the the join line to be glued, flowing into the space between the parts.  With the above wire and gap sizes, a 0.25" length of C in the gap is a bit less than 1mg in weight.

LP
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: CA Delivery Systems?
frash
Gold Member

Kudos: 10

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 08:21:13 AM »

LeoP's method is quite good.

The other version of a capillary applicator sticks a needle into a handle, then cuts through the eye of the needle leaving a tiny fork to pick up and apply the CA glue.

I use the same method as LeoP myself and with middle school kids doing Wright Stuff event in Science Olympiad.

Fred Rash
Jack Plane
Gold Member

Kudos: 7

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 08:40:27 AM »

Guys

That is SO clever!  I imagine that the thinner the CA, the tighter the gap needed between the wires.

Time for a bit of experimentation...

Thanks
Jon
Olbill
Titanium Member

Kudos: 48

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 09:16:28 AM »

I use the wire in the puddle method but Leo's is probably more accurate.
frash
Gold Member

Kudos: 10

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 11:01:34 AM »

Original source, as far as I know was Thayer Syme at: http://www.gryffinaero.com/models/ffpages/tips/cyaapp.html

Put some color or stripes or some mark on your CA applicators so you won't think that they are scrap wood and throw them away.

Fred Rash
NormF
Gold Member

Kudos: 9

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 09:25:27 PM »

A couple CA droppers. One is similar to Leo's and the other is a mod to the teflon tubing.

!. I use various size sewing needles, grind off the end of the eye and it looks like a "Y". Bigger the eye the more glue applied. After a while, the "Y" will fill with hardened glue. Burn it off with a flame (lighter). Make a simple handle and mark it so it doesn't get tossed. A plastic lid or the inverted bottom of a small glass jar (baby food bottle) makes a good place to puddle the CA. Touch the "Y" to the puddle and the CA will load the "Y", touch the where you want the glue and it will unload. This is my favorite method.

2. You can reduce the size of the teflon tubing (reducing the flow) by heating and stretching. I use a candle and it doesn't take much heat.

Norm
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: CA Delivery Systems?
fred
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2017, 11:15:07 PM »

Sigh... been using CA since ~75 Frankly I currently Detest the stuff.
A) it gives me an allergic reaction
B) No matter what I do (and I've tried most All variants ) over the past 40 years .. applicators from Teflon tubes to hypodermic needles. NOTHING is reliable/clog proof.
 Frankly I've gotten to trhe point where the crap ain't worth the trouble.
 Silly stupid White glue is working 'jes fine' albeit much slower to build with.
Small price to be honest.
ghcrash
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2017, 07:17:44 AM »

I like the needle idea for precise application but I'm lazy and still use an applicator tip on the bottle for 90% of my building.   Some brands of tips work better than others.  I use one brand for the thin CA and a different brand for the thick stuff.   But any/all applicators tips will plug, especially if left on the bottle between building sessions.

That plugging can be avoided by storing the applicator tips in acetone.   I have a small bottle (30cc) of acetone that I drop the applicators into each time I'm quit building for more than an hour.  Then use a pair of tweezers to retrieve the tips from the acetone next building session.   The acetone is reusable and only needs changing out after four to six months of use.   

George
flydean1
Gold Member

Kudos: 3

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2017, 10:37:16 AM »

What brand do you use for thick, and what for thin??
tom arnold
Gold Member

Kudos: 23

Casper Wyoming

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2017, 10:54:25 AM »

I've used the wire and needle methods and they all work great. Except when it comes time to use it, I never can find it among all the debris on my bench so I wind up grabbing the first scrap strip of balsa stringer I see and use it. Seems to work too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: