Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
June 23, 2017, 11:42:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Easy Built Models Silkspan  (Read 351 times)
NeilH
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: March 17, 2017, 12:57:04 PM »

Has anyone had experience with Easy Built Models Silkspan?  They advertise a 10 ft roll at 1.3 grams per sq ft with is about 14 grams per sq meter.  Nearly the same weight as Esaki tissue. http://www.easybuiltmodels.com/parts.htm#silkspan
Sounds too good to be true.

Will fly for fun
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Kudos: 24

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 03:14:43 PM »

Grin  good news bad news.

good news its great but you must seal it with krylon or dope
bad news shipping to Canada costs as much as the tissue.  ouch!!!!!! Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

jim Angry
Laminar001
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 03:33:51 AM »

Hello

I thought this post of interest so here's my experience.

Silk span is readily available and from Brodak over there (US).  Good stuff, old stuff, but also strong stuff. It's a type of tissue but tougher than say Jap coloured tissue. Comes in three or four weights even very light.

It usually does not break or tear when the model strikes the ground.  Doped Silk-span adds strength to models unlike many other coverings, including iron-on Solarfilm or Profilm. I am told that even Mylar as good as it is also does not add strength.

The trick is to get the dope strength right and pin the model down for a day on a flat surface until it is completely cured. Dope strength should be 35% to acetone. for rubber models.

Regards

Marc.
NeilH
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 12:51:08 PM »

Thanks for the info.  I have 4 sheets that are 2 ft x 3 ft that I weighed and calculated at 12.2 grams per  sq meter, very light.  I plan to use it on the fuselage of a P-30.  Hopefully it will be more resistant to punctures on d/t landings.

Will fly for fun
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: