Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 21, 2017, 01:45:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Morane-Borel build  (Read 7408 times)
Ray_K
Gold Member

Kudos: 9

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: June 12, 2017, 08:59:52 PM »

6-12-2017

Mike, this is such an impressive build, the detail, the paint job, I can not wait to see more  Shocked, what's the wing span?

Cheers, Ray K.
ZK-AUD
Gold Member

Kudos: 21

New Zealand New Zealand

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: June 12, 2017, 09:02:48 PM »

Ray she's 30.5" span. - 1/12
Ray_K
Gold Member

Kudos: 9

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: June 13, 2017, 03:41:20 AM »

6-12-2017

Wow Mike, big plane, Nice!  Cheesy

Cheers, Ray K.
ZK-AUD
Gold Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: June 18, 2017, 03:02:34 AM »

Howdy folks.  Just 2 weeks to go before this has to be finished and flying.  fortunately it's coming together well.  First up is the tailplane and rudder,  now mounted.    The little gubbins with a spring you can see under the rear of the fuselage on top of the tailplane is the adjustment screw for tailplane incidence - this is a 2mm nylon bolt with a bit of biro spring for tension.  The steel tube struts are actually 3/64 styrene rod.  This is great stuff.  You can dip it in boiling water for a few seconds and then form the ends just as if it were  the real thing.

The floats are now built.  The main floats are sitting like that because they have the bulk of the necessary noseweight preloaded in the front  The littlew hole on the inside at the nose will have an authentic looking inspection hatch glued on the outside of a plug and that is for noseweight fine adjustment in the little compartment I have constructed there.   The chassis will have a flat plate on each side that sits in the recess on top of the floats.  These are attached by internal dental bands.  The little angle at the front of the recess allows the plane to 'slip out of its shoes in the event of a hard landing.

Finally I couldn't resist a couple of little mock-ups to give some idea of how it will look.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Morane-Borel build
OZPAF
Titanium Member

Kudos: 38

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: June 18, 2017, 03:41:11 AM »

Even the pilot looks happy! That prop caught my eye - is that the scale or the flying prop?

John
ZK-AUD
Gold Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: June 18, 2017, 04:49:46 AM »

Actually it's neither John.  The story here was that I had always wanted to carve a scale-ish Chauviere and so I did, thinking that one day I would build something suitable for it,  and if not the carving was fun.  In the end this model is a bit big for a 9" prop so I need to carve a bigger one probably around the 11" mark.  If Hepcat is reading this perhaps he could point me in the right direction of diameter and pitch...

By the way, there's a good picture of it on page one of this thread.
FFScott
Silver Member

Kudos: 1

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: June 18, 2017, 02:53:40 PM »

Seems like we should have a display at the National Gallery for our kinetic art.  This would be one of the items to include.
daveh
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: June 18, 2017, 05:28:07 PM »

It's looking gorgeous Mike and you've just given me another tip for using styrene that I shall use - thank you.

Going back to reply#20, you used cloudy ammonia to bend the longerons, which is a technique I'd like to try. I have a bottle of what is stated to be "household cleaning ammonia" but don't know what cloudy ammonia is. Do you have any idea how I could use what I have and in what sort of dilution (I assume it would have to be diluted)? Also, do you have to wash off the ammonia when the wood has been bent? Sorry about all the questions.

Dave
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 06:08:35 PM by daveh » Logged
ZK-AUD
Gold Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: June 18, 2017, 10:45:11 PM »

If it blows the back of your head off when you smell it I'm guessing it's the right stuff.  I don't bother with dilution - use it neat if you're serious about bending wood.

I make up a long narrow little bath entirely out of folded aluminium kitchen foil with a few strips of masking tape across the top to stop it spreading.  A couple of big washers or similar to hold the longerons down and this minimises the amount of fluid needed.

After a while the wood will be soaked with the stuff so you'd be kidding yourself if you thought you could wash it off.  Accordingly I don't bother other than wiping it dry to work with.

Probably a good idea to do all of this out in the shed,  but then this stuff is sold as a house cleaning product....
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 36

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: June 19, 2017, 02:38:32 AM »

Dave, I use household ammonia, full strength as Mike says. However I do give it another five mins in water, because the ammonia 'curdles' the aliphatic glue I use.
FFScott
Silver Member

Kudos: 1

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: June 19, 2017, 09:55:11 AM »

There is a brand called "Weldbond" aliphatic that we have been using that doesn't curdle with ammonia.  In fact, you can add a little ammonia to it to dilute it for use (I always dilute my aliphatic so it penetrates the wood better.)
daveh
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: June 19, 2017, 03:35:45 PM »

Thanks for all the advice guys; just what I was looking for.

Dave
ZK-AUD
Gold Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: June 20, 2017, 05:21:36 AM »

Spent tonight making a jig to hold the floats in the right position relative to the fuselage so that I can build the chassis accurately.  No doubt there are some who could build this in mid air but I'm not one of them!
strat-o
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: June 20, 2017, 10:33:04 AM »

One thing I don't understand is how the tensioners on top of the stabilator worked.  How could you move the stabilator?  Or are the tensioners really part of the control cables?
ZK-AUD
Gold Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: June 20, 2017, 02:04:52 PM »

I can solve that one for you - It's not a stabilator.  It's a regular tailplane with a small fixed section braced by the 4 steel tubes and some wires underneath, and a large balanced hinged elevator section
ZK-AUD
Gold Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: June 20, 2017, 02:07:22 PM »

The photo just above in reply #128 shows it better
ZK-AUD
Gold Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: June 23, 2017, 06:46:19 AM »

Carved a prop for it tonight.   - Carved and rough sanded as you see here.  This is another Chauviere.  The defining characteristic of the Chauviere Integrale was that the trailing edge of the blades runs in a line through the centre of the hub which means that the blades 'lean forward' and give that pleasing S shape.  The S is more pronounced in this version as I have had to widen the chord of the blades for rubber power.  I have also kicked in some washout at the very tips so that the tips look a bit like the wingtips on various German WWI types.   Monsieur Chauviere sold his props far and wide and they powered many of the early types,  including the Borel.  Eventually his concern became part of S.P.A.D.  The things a body learns eh!
ZK-AUD
Gold Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: June 23, 2017, 06:51:29 AM »

Sorry, should have mentioned - prop is 11" and current weight before final sanding is 8g.  Carved from my very special rock hard  sure-to-be-descended-from-KeilKraft-trees balsa block,  which allows it to be carved razor thin.
Jack Plane
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: June 23, 2017, 06:57:02 PM »

Beautiful prop mate!
ZK-AUD
Gold Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: June 23, 2017, 09:54:38 PM »

Cheers for that however it's finished now and qualifies better for the compliment!  We have a saying here that if you have to eat a s*** sandwich you might as well get plenty of bread.  The sandwich in this case is that the design of this prop does leave you with a big chunky hub.  The additional bread is revealed in the second and third pictures and that is that I will be able to completely bury one of my patent cunning-as freewheel clutches in the recess.
BG
Platinum Member

Kudos: 60

Canada Canada

Me with F1B - epic retrieval (flew 10km after DT)

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: June 24, 2017, 11:41:26 AM »

Very nice ... think she needs a bit of an airbrushing to give that laminated full-size prop look.

B

F1B guy but its not my fault, Tony made me do it.
Hepcat
Platinum Member

Kudos: 206

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: June 24, 2017, 06:25:10 PM »

responce to #144.

'A thing of beauty is a joy forever' (Keats)

I never knew it was Keats until I checked tonight.  He must have been looking at a Chauviere propeller when he wrote it.

John
OZPAF
Titanium Member

Kudos: 38

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: June 24, 2017, 07:12:49 PM »

That's not a bad bit of carving there Mike and clever using the space in the hub to conceal the FW.

John
ZK-AUD
Gold Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: June 24, 2017, 07:46:05 PM »

responce to #144.

'A thing of beauty is a joy forever' (Keats)

I never knew it was Keats until I checked tonight.  He must have been looking at a Chauviere propeller when he wrote it.

John

Reminds me of what I recall of a line in Spike Milligan's book.  (I think it was Rommel - Gunner who?)  Sgt Major to troops: "And now the Captain's going to give you a lecture in Keats and I bet not one of you dumb bastards even knows what a keat is!"
ZK-AUD
Gold Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: June 25, 2017, 06:03:09 AM »

Me again with the final result on the prop.  Looks reasonably like the real one albeit a bit out of proportion for rubber purposes.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: