Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
June 27, 2017, 04:42:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: First rubber build- A6  (Read 533 times)
Crossup
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: March 25, 2017, 02:09:57 PM »

Been doing R/C for 50+ years, got the bug to build an F3P competition plane and found that the sport maybe turning to balsa for the next gen of plane. Since we are talking 36" WS aerobatic planes at 40gm RTF or less, I knew I need practice building light, straight strong airframes and decided rubber indoor FF was a good way to go.
So I grabbed some plans here, ordered some OS film and she had her maiden yesterday. Turns out the prop, shaft, hub and bearing etc is too heavy at 0.6gm to balance well, which took a while to figure out but eventually with a big ole blob of clay on the tail, she had no problem making the 22' ceiling at mid flight on 450 turns on a  half motor of 0.032" Tan Super Sport.
Without the clay it came out at 1.5gm which I consider acceptable. I'm doing a new motor stick, prop and bearing which should knock off a couple more tens of a gram and hopefully let me still balance with a full motor.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
First rubber build- A6
Balsa Ace
Gold Member

Kudos: 16

Canada Canada

FAC Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 04:24:40 PM »

Very nice.

Scott

Hawker Sea Fury FB.11
HMCS Magnificent
VF-871   RCN
adanjo
Silver Member

Kudos: 3

Japan Japan

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 10:34:40 PM »

Did you put a clay on the tail? If so, it's easy. Move the wing forward to get the correct C/G.
Aki
Rossclements
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 10:52:53 AM »

What were your times? I am hopefully going to make it to the CCBC april 7th and I will bring my a-6 models with me.

Ross
ram
Silver Member

Kudos: 3

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 11:26:53 AM »

A suggestion would be to move the wing forward so the CG is over the center line of the motor.  This will:

- help with the nose heaviness
- lengthen the tail moment
- allow you to try different weight motors without chasing the CG

Once you've gotten close on an ideal motor weight you can move the wing to eliminate any ballast (if any).

Rey
Crossup
Copper Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 11:29:46 PM »

I was luck enough to have the sage advice of a long time FF guy on the maiden and he suggested moving the wing but also pointed out my using the materials from the plan was overkill- .025" wire, .030 aluminum bearing that was too tall adding to stick flex, lack of elevator incidence. I also had other issues so I made a new motor stick and reused the tail boom at proper incidence.

Then I made a new bearing that was shorter, made of .010" aluminum instead of .032", new shaft and hook of .015, new tissue tubes for the wing mount and prop hub, smaller prop spars..you get the idea.

Oh and a Ray Harlan order including some teflon thrust washer material(definitely had a friction issue with the old brass washer  on aluminum -proven by it binding up after a few runs, then a shot of oil off my Honda dipstick "fixed" it enough to continue to fly)
So now it is .3gm lighter, the motor stick no long bends with only 450 turns(it did take 750 on a full length motor without signs of imminent failure), the prop runs impressively true and 450 turns does not phase the motor stick at all.
Did I mention the balance is spot on now without moving the wing location?

So yes Ross I'm planning to be at CCBC and TOO bad you didn't make it on the 24th I had the whole fricken place to myself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 3hrs of nirvana Cheesy Didnt fly the A6 much as by then, it was obvious I needed to rebuild it to fix things.

I flew about 20 batteries worth, got all three planes dialed in nicely and had 3 hrs of uninterupted flying, no sharing, no worries about midairs(if you discount those curtain poles Cheesy) As to flight times, probably only 1 minute on a half motor mostly because once the motor ran out , the lack of proper elevator incidence let the nose dip, the rubber slung forward and she decended at a 45 deg angle. But issues and all she almost topped out there which I understand is 45'
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: First rubber build- A6
Olbill
Titanium Member

Kudos: 50

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 08:35:22 AM »

All you need now is a proper motor and you'll be on your way.
Crossup
Copper Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2017, 07:41:09 AM »

After sustaining some damage and a wing film replacement I got a 4:14 out of it at CCBC's dome but under the middle where its probably 38' with lots of top outs. I'm happy and looking forward to building a different A6 design and a F1L now that I have some C grain wood.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: