Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
June 24, 2017, 04:50:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Tick cat plans?  (Read 648 times)
Beazld
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

United States United States

Topic starter
What me worry?

Ignore
« on: March 26, 2017, 09:27:54 AM »

Can anyone direct me to plans for a cat glider called a Tick?  I think it is about an 8" span that will qualify for the mini postal event. 
Thanks!

Simplicate and add lightness!
Beazld
Silver Member

Topic starter
What me worry?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 08:26:27 PM »

I found a set and posted here.
http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_plans/details.php?image_id=9786&sessionid=2abb38e6037a4ae86f6a472427807bc3

Tmat
Titanium Member

Kudos: 64

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 09:26:08 PM »

I would change the wing material to at least 1/16" (Personally I'd use at least 3/32") for an outdoor catapult glider. 1/32" will not be up to the job except for gentle launches.

Tmat

F1B guy...
But don't hold that against me!
Beazld
Silver Member

Topic starter
What me worry?

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 07:24:49 AM »

Thanks Tmat. I agree on at least 1/16". My RC club is having a mini cat event later this month and we will be building and flying 8" cats at the event. Trying to get some folks to realize that more than foam and electricity will fly! Grin

Audax
Silver Member

Kudos: 11

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2017, 02:47:09 PM »

I wouldn't be too hasty in changing any of the dimensions called out on that plan.  Those little things fly like crazy just the way they are drawn.  I've made a half dozen of them for my grandkids. 

The pic shows a couple I made for my granddaughter.  They were hit with a shot of Design Master so we could find 'em in the snow.

If you use some decent balsa to build them, a launcher set up and the cg as noted on the plan, they'll give you flights of around 30 seconds every time.  If there are any thermals around, they'll head over the horizon.  I made a couple of them using light 1/16" for the wings, with an airfoil sanded in.  Weight wasn't much more than the 1/32" wings, but the duration wasn't much more either.  For the sake of simplicity, I've gone back to using the thinner wood. 

I haven't found anything that builds as quickly, and flies as reliably as the FAC Tick.  Have fun with 'em!    Rich
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Tick cat plans?
Maxout
Titanium Member

Kudos: 82

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 08:57:56 AM »

I wouldn't be too hasty in changing any of the dimensions called out on that plan.  Those little things fly like crazy just the way they are drawn. 

Then you're using a pretty anemic catapult. I won't build a glider with anything less than 3/32 balsa for the wings. Anything less becomes a cloud of sawdust.

Everything else on that plan looks good, so long as you're not launching super hard. That wing planform will flutter if you go full stretch on an AMA catapult
Audax
Silver Member

Kudos: 11

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2017, 11:56:46 AM »

Yup, the launcher is anemic.  The plan calls for a 12" loop of 3/32, and that's what I've been using.  Gets 'em up there into thermal country, and that's more than enough for some seriously fun flying.  I've built at least a dozen of them now.  Lost count.  All but two of them have been made with light 1/32" balsa flying surfaces.  Average weight has been in the 1 1/2 grams range.  Three went OOS, and there have been many long, lovely flights.  No flutter.  No exploding gliders.  Yet.   Smiley   

I'm all for taking a design to its max potential, and I plan to keep experimenting with these five inch span marvels.  For some good park flying with the kids, with minimal material and bench time invested, I haven't found anything that will match the original Tick.  My nine year old grandson is now making his own.  I'm pretty happy about that.       Rich
Maxout
Titanium Member

Kudos: 82

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2017, 10:33:35 PM »

Cool. I'm still pretty sure I'd blow up 1/32 wings even with that catapult.

You really should try building one for the full AMA catapult. The altitude is just incredible. They take a long time to come down.

Gliders this size are super addictive. Love em!
flyfac
Bronze Member

Kudos: 4

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2017, 02:34:33 AM »

Gotta concur with Audax--these little Tick gliders get way up there.  And my ten-year-old daughter supports the theory that an anemic launch / launcher actually works just fine.  I got more consistent flights after backing off a bit on the loop of 1/8 I was using on our launch sticks.

And yes, those Ticks are bright pink!

Scot Dobberfuhl
Forest Grove,OR
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Tick cat plans?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: