Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
November 19, 2017, 05:25:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: RES-olution elektro 2m  (Read 919 times)
Jack Plane
Gold Member

Kudos: 15

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2017, 08:10:54 AM »

I promptly landed and had a drink.

I'm not surprised!  Shocked

My Skidoo flew away yesterday Cry Cry Cry Specked out in big lift, lost visual trying to cross the sun and never saw it again Roll Eyes Conditions were pretty crazy Shocked

Oh well Embarrassed

Sorry to hear that Jon... you'll just have to build another one!  Shocked
OZPAF
Titanium Member

Kudos: 38

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2017, 06:20:28 AM »

That's bad luck Jon. It seems like you have well and truly been bitten by the thermal flying bug.

I guess I've been very lucky - I've never actually lost a RC thermal glider - although I've come very close though.

Good one Dave - ah you just wanted an excuse for the drink Smiley

happy flying to you both.

John
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Kudos: 53

Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2017, 08:45:26 AM »

Thanks Jon and John. Next one is on the drawing board (well... screen)  Grin
Tapio Linkosalo
Platinum Member

Kudos: 27

Finland Finland

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2017, 09:51:45 AM »

Just an update I went flying yesterday I've not got out much this summer due to the rain but a cracking bank holiday meant some flying time and I am very glad I fitted the spoilers as I got stuck in some lift and almost lost it. I had a little panic flicked the spoilers out but it still seemed an age before it was at a reasonable height again I promptly landed and had a drink.

Have you tried using a freewheeling prop as aerobrake? I cannot see from the pictures, what size of prop you use, but if it is large enough, the prop brakes really good. I have a 1.5m span electric glider, where the half-span ailerons can be turned up as spoilers, but they do not really increase sinking speed or slow the model down. But if I get into too strong thermal, I turn the nose down, and open the throttle just a little, so that the electric brake releases, and the prop starts to spin. Pushing the nose down soon adds airspeed so that the prop does not pull, but at that time a spinning prop turns into an efficient airbrake, that enables me to dive the model straight down without it accelerating to too much speed.
bbdave
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2017, 04:40:35 PM »

Just an update I went flying yesterday I've not got out much this summer due to the rain but a cracking bank holiday meant some flying time and I am very glad I fitted the spoilers as I got stuck in some lift and almost lost it. I had a little panic flicked the spoilers out but it still seemed an age before it was at a reasonable height again I promptly landed and had a drink.

Have you tried using a freewheeling prop as aerobrake? I cannot see from the pictures, what size of prop you use, but if it is large enough, the prop brakes really good. I have a 1.5m span electric glider, where the half-span ailerons can be turned up as spoilers, but they do not really increase sinking speed or slow the model down. But if I get into too strong thermal, I turn the nose down, and open the throttle just a little, so that the electric brake releases, and the prop starts to spin. Pushing the nose down soon adds airspeed so that the prop does not pull, but at that time a spinning prop turns into an efficient airbrake, that enables me to dive the model straight down without it accelerating to too much speed.

I havent  tried it but will give it a go next time I'm out.

Dave
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: