Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 16, 2017, 07:13:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Super chipmunk  (Read 359 times)
cglynn
Gold Member

Kudos: 7

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: April 10, 2017, 12:45:34 PM »

Hey all, I am getting back into CL flying after playing around with it while I was still in grade school.  I've got a baby ringmaster framed up and going to put an .049 black widow in it.  I showed the bones to my father, and he was impressed with how it turned out.  He then gave me a kit for the Sig Super Chipmunk that he had laying around.  I am getting ready to start building it and was wondering if anyone had experience with this model.  Any thing I should know before I start the build? 

Also, it calls for a .29 - .40 engine.  I was thinking about an Evolution .36 from Horizon Hobby.  I've heard good things, but also heard bad things about it.  I've also read that a modern .25 will put out as much power as an older .29, so there is that.  I will consider any and all recommendations for an engine for this bird, and thank all in advance.

Thanks guys, this is a great community.

Chris
Glenn (gravitywell) Reach
Gold Member

Kudos: 32

Canada Canada

It ain't pretty, but its me!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 06:31:34 PM »

He just happened to have the kit laying around?  I want to go to your Dad's place!  Grin

Build the kit as the plans show.  Its one of the best of the Sig kits.  If you feel you can do it, replace the plastic turtle deck with 1/16th balsa.  It will be lighter than the plastic.  If you don't feel like you can handle it, or just don't feel like it, don't worry about it.

The Evo .36 should be more than adequate for her.  Good running, powerful little motor. 

Don't forget to share photos of the build with us!

Glenn Reach
The only time you want Guillow's balsa, is when its worth its weight in gold!
cglynn
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 09:37:29 AM »

Thanks for the advice Glenn.  About 6 years ago my dad was in between big projects but needed something to occupy his time.  He rediscovered control line flying with some 1/2a stuff, and then wanted to go bigger.  He bought an Acromaster kit and the Super Chipmunk.  He got about halfway through the Acromaster build, then abandoned his CL projects after crashing and destroying one of his 1/2a profile planes.  So in his basement sat the half finished Acromaster and the Super Chipmunk in the box.  I showed him the baby ringmaster I was building from scratch, and apparently he thought my craftsmanship was worthy of his Super Chipmunk.  That and he admitted it would drive him nuts to build it, then crash it and destroy it.

From what I can tell, this version of the kit already calls for a sheeted turtle deck.  The only plastic in the kit is the front cowl, wheel pants, and canopy.  I read the directions and it looks easy enough to sheet the rear portion.

After looking into power for this model a bit more, I am actually leaning towards going electric.  My town is a little stiff when it comes to noise, and there are very few areas big enough to fly CL, let alone areas away from houses.  So to keep the noise down, and my plane in the air (because I will be more inclined to fly the thing if I don't have to worry about getting a citation for doing so) I think electric might fit the bill. 

From what I have been reading/researching, it seems I want around 100 watts of power per lb of model weight.  The finished model weight is advertised at 50oz, so 3.125lb, so round up to 325 watts.  There are a lot of brushless outrunners the output the power I am looking for, at a reasonable amperage, while swinging a 10" prop, which is about what I can get away with on this model.  Also, the weight would be pretty much a wash as the electric motor is about 3 oz lighter than the glow engine, and the battery and ESC a few more oz than a tank and fuel.  Just wondering if flight time would be decent with a 2200 mah 3 cell lipo?  And then there is how to mount and cool the battery and ESC, which would require some modification of the nose, but it's doable.

I will be posting the build pics once I get to it.  I want to make sure I know what I am doing for power, acquire the components, then start the build.  I have found that if I don't have all the pieces I need to finish a model right from the start, it takes me forever to build.  I get the majority of the framing done, and then put off ordering components for the next 3 years or so, and then finally finish it.  So, on this one, I am getting everything together, then getting her built.

Any thoughts on the electric conversion are appreciated.

Thanks
CG
GordV
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 03:17:53 PM »

So, are you building it?
G

MAAC 3738L, Life member
cglynn
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 11:54:00 AM »

Hey Gord,

I've got a Sig Riser 100 occupying the build table right now.  I also have a 22" ws B25 that is half done, and a Dime scale rear win speedster that I need to cover.  Once I get a bit more caught up on those projects, I will start the Super Chipmunk. 

It's looking like I will make the SC my winter break project.   Or at least start it over winter break. 

CG
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: