Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 19, 2017, 03:47:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Castle Creations great products and phenomenal Customer Support  (Read 366 times)
Konrad
Platinum Member

Kudos: 27

United States United States

Topic starter
Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« on: April 12, 2017, 10:11:42 AM »

I think this might go here as part of "Accessories Board".

I’d like to give a shoot out  in praise of Castle Creations for exemplary customer service. Unlike most firms today that think customer service is just fast turnaround time (how fast they can empty your Pay Pal account). Castle Creations knows that true customer service is biased heavily on accurate technical service.

For example I had an issue with an obsolete (no longer made) Castle Creations Phoenix ICE 2 HV80. I gave Castle Creations a call expecting to be on hold for 1/2 an hour but got through in less than a minute. I honestly expected to hear that the ESC I have would not do what I wanted and that the tech would try to sell me on the latest and greatest model of ESC. But much to my surprise Thomas (the tech rep) knew the Castle Creations product line , even the older stuff, in great detail. After about 3 simple questions Thomas had narrowed in on the root cause of my issue. He did not say I had screwed up and burned up  the ESC. Rather he figured out that I was exceeding the electrical RPM limit of the ESC. Much to my surprise (it should have been a surprise for a technical firm) he knew how to perform the math to figure out exactly what parameters I was running in my power system. Rather than saying I needed the latest and greatest ESC he said that there was a firmware upgrade for my obsolete Castle Creations Phoenix ICE 2 HV80.

This was after he stopped laughing that I was using an outrunner in a performance EDF application. I have to agree with him that the outrunner really is a poor choice for EDF application. I was impressed that Thomas tried to give guidance for my power system. This showed me that Castle Creation (Thomas) not only wanted their product to perform to their customer’s (mine) expectation, but that they wanted to make sure I was aware of the pitfalls they had learned with what I was trying to do with my outrunner EDF power system.

While Castle Creations does mention that there is an “Electrical RPM Limit” it is buried deep in the FAQ’s. I’d like to see Castle Creations put this in the spec sheet on their sales page. While I was aware that all ESC have this limit. I had forgotten to look into this limit as I was in the middle of the ESC’s approved voltage and was using a sport motor. What I had over looked was that the outrunner by design is a high pole count motor. (This is why they appear to offer so much torque.) And that it is the number of poles per minute not the actual shaft RPM that defines the electrical rpm limit.

Again I owe a huge thanks to Castle Creations for having a technical staff (Thomas) that actually knows the product and its application on its pay roll. As a wise man once said quality pays it does not cost! When dealing with Castle Creation this is so true, be it with before and after sales support.

All the best,
Konrad

Cut it twice and it's still too short!
Starduster
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 01:44:19 PM »

I have to agree with Konrad (at least this one time  Smiley )

I have had great luck with Castle's products. I use their ESC's (Thunderbird) almost exclusively. I do have one or two others, but any new ones are Thunderbirds. I have the PC attachment so that I can "Program" the ESC without having to hook up a receiver.

Also, when I first started back into the hobby a few years ago, I electrified a few of my Freeflights so I could fly them out of a local ball field. I didn't want to buy a new radio, and all I had was an old Futaba Skysport radio. I got a few of Castle's Berg receivers, and they have worked a charm since. Light, reliable and pretty inexpensive. (Not cheap!)

I did have a few minutes panic, though... I need a couple Thunderbird 18amp ESC's and they are out of stock everywhere. I went into my local shop and they guy said something like "I think that Castle is having some problems..." Well, no, it's just that the 18 amp was on back order. Supposed to be in mid-April.

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty..."
Konrad
Platinum Member

Topic starter
Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 03:03:51 PM »

I have to agree with Konrad (at least this one time  Smiley )

I have had great luck with Castle's products. I use their ESC's (Thunderbird) almost exclusively. I do have one or two others, but any new ones are Thunderbirds. I have the PC attachment so that I can "Program" the ESC without having to hook up a receiver.

Also, when I first started back into the hobby a few years ago, I electrified a few of my Freeflights so I could fly them out of a local ball field. I didn't want to buy a new radio, and all I had was an old Futaba Skysport radio. I got a few of Castle's Berg receivers, and they have worked a charm since. Light, reliable and pretty inexpensive. (Not cheap!)

I did have a few minutes panic, though... I need a couple Thunderbird 18amp ESC's and they are out of stock everywhere. I went into my local shop and they guy said something like "I think that Castle is having some problems..." Well, no, it's just that the 18 amp was on back order. Supposed to be in mid-April.

How could any one not agree with me? Roll Eyes Shocked

I’ve been with CC since the beginning with their brushed motor ESC like the Sprite 25 and Pegasus 55. I also had the Dragon sensored brushless ESC. It was smaller than the Aveox ESC.

So in the intervening 20 or so years you might imagine I’ve had a few customer induced customer support issues.  Dave Castle of CC has been customer focused since the very beginning. I remember burning up one of his ESC at a contest (BEC failure). He gave me a replacement and said be careful and look for a burned up, damaged servo amp. The true cause of the BEC failure.

Wow, the Berg. Now that is an obsolete product but was/is a great one . I still use a few as I’m too lazy to dig them out of my planes. They were/are the best non-Dual Conversion (DC) 72 MHz (DSP) Rx period. And their later DC 72 MHz Rxs are some of the best. CC took over the Berg line at a time when the Berg Rx was suffering “sleeping sickness”. CC put in a lot of time and effort to over come this and at the same time never accused the end user of being the source of the issue.

Love the Castle link! The ease in which one can up date the firmware is worth the price of the CC product.

Note: CC products are not throw away products, for that we have  a lot of choice in the many products sold by HK and the like. Again Quality pays it does not cost!

All the best,
Konrad

OZPAF
Titanium Member

Kudos: 38

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 07:31:17 PM »

Again Quality pays it does not cost!

I couldn't agree more Konrad.

In the very early days of F5E electric glider - the  80's, the ESC's of note were mode by Sommerauer of Switzerland. Hans Sommerauer was a competitor and engineer. They were handmade - not cheap but very reliable.

So I learnt the truth behind your quote a long time ago.

John

USch
Gold Member

Kudos: 16

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 11:02:14 AM »

John,
you mentioned Hans Jakob Sommerauer. I met him some weeks ago in Switzerland and he showed me his latest effort in electrics. He transformed an old Citroen 2CV into electric, see the pic's below. He said it is a poor men's Tesla. And he build all himself, from the motor to the ESC to the battery compartment.
Right now he is thinking of building a solar glider to the new FAI rules.

Urs

PS: sorry Konrad, not wanting to highjack your threat  Smiley
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Castle Creations great products and phenomenal Customer Support
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 12:40:11 PM by USch » Logged

Fast up-Slow down
Konrad
Platinum Member

Topic starter
Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2017, 02:19:56 PM »

Again Quality pays it does not cost!

I couldn't agree more Konrad.

In the very early days of F5E electric glider - the  80's, the ESC's of note were mode by Sommerauer of Switzerland. Hans Sommerauer was a competitor and engineer. They were handmade - not cheap but very reliable.

So I learnt the truth behind your quote a long time ago.

John
Along those lines, it has been said that competition improves the breed. Here in the USA we owe so much to men like Steve Neu for pushing the boundaries further out.

John,
you mentioned Hans Jakob Sommerauer. I met him some weeks ago in Switzerland and he showed me his latest effort in electrics. He transformed an old Citroen 2CV into electric, see the pic's below. He said it is a poor men's Tesla. And he build all himself, from the motor to the ESC to the battery compartment.
Right now he is thinking of building a solar glider to the new FAI rules.

Urs

PS: sorry Konrad, not wanting to highjack your threat  Smiley
Urs, not an issue. I said what I wanted to say.

All I ask is that the photos be clearer. Undecided
Really it's all good.

All the best,
Konrad
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 02:37:35 PM by Konrad » Logged

USch
Gold Member

Kudos: 16

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2017, 02:32:34 PM »

All I ask is that the photos be clearer. Undecided

So true, but the pic's were taken late in the night with the cell phone   Cry
Will do better next time....

Urs

Fast up-Slow down
OZPAF
Titanium Member

Kudos: 38

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2017, 06:53:05 PM »

Urs, Hans was on the Australian F5E team in 1990 for the world champs in Austria. A friend of mine and another member of the team was the Australian agent for Sommerauer controllers and thus I got to know him fairly well. He was/is a very clever hands on electrical engineer and a very good f5E pilot as well.
I had heard that he was now working on electric cars - thanks for the photos.
Apologise for the further side track, Konrad.

Cheers
John
Konrad
Platinum Member

Topic starter
Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2017, 06:59:52 PM »

My electric car has a speed controller, so were'er still on topic in my book! Roll Eyes

Bill G
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2017, 04:22:08 AM »

A few things I would say about their controllers is that they make or exceed amp ratings without issue.  Fet per fet and gram for gram, they outperform others, at least in the lower amperage ratings I've used, mostly at 25A and under.  They're also the only ESC I've come across that will run 2 inrunners on 1 ESC.  I've made good use of this with twin EDFs using the Tbird 6, 9, and 18, as well as the P10 and 25.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: