Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 20, 2017, 01:50:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Outdoor balsa treatment  (Read 250 times)
bbdave
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: April 17, 2017, 10:24:53 AM »

I am building a glider and will cover the wings in Oracover but the fuselage I would like to keep wood can I just do a few coats of dope? I think it would need to be damp/wet grass proof but I'm not sure dope will do that, I do have some acrylic varnish/floor Polish but I am aware that I could add a lot of weight as I presume the balsa will suck up a lot . Any advice please.

Dave
Pete Fardell
Titanium Member

Kudos: 50

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 10:49:10 AM »

I'd say a few coats of dope will be waterproof. I've certainly finished model boats in just dope in the past!
DaddyO
Platinum Member

Kudos: 61

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 12:28:31 PM »

Finished various HLG and DLG's over the years current favourite is Miniwax spar varnish, but to be honest I've not noticed much difference between this and other outdoor varnishes.

Best way to apply is warm it gently (on a radiator or windowsill in the sun) and apply with a pad of kitchen towel wiping most off so it just wets the wood. light rub down with very worn sandpaper (I use an old bit of 800 wet or dry) and then repeat. After a third coat you should have a slight sheen that will be water resistant ie water drops will not soak in, but don't expect to leave it outside in the wet grass all day  Grin

There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is already full
bbdave
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 01:08:41 PM »

Thanks I have a tin of dope so will probably go with 2 or 3 coats of that.

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: