Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
July 21, 2017, 04:51:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Avro Avis aka The Flying Carrot  (Read 1571 times)
RalphS
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2017, 03:00:16 PM »

Have just seen this thread; beautiful model! You must be very pleased with it.

BTW, as far as the Auster is concerned, can't you just write down the story of lunch-time flying in the full size Auster, declare whatever colour it was and sign it as a colour declaration? I don't see how that's different to any other written colour declaration - but then, I'm not a judge...

Avis -  thanks Andy.  The snag is I keep seeing things that need adjustments.  I found, on another site, a beautifully made large glo engine r/c version -  colours ok  - wing shape wrong.  I swapped postings and the designer/builder put me on to Arthur Ord Hume's book about the Lympne trials.  Lots of pictures in the book - damn it, need more adjustments.  My wing shape is ok though.

Re the Auster.  Prosper's post confirmed the reg letters colour for me and I know they were not maroon. I do have a black and white photo of one of our sorties - colour pics were not available then for the common man.

When I made the Auster I hadn't read the scale judging guidelines so I didn't deserve max points anyway.  Static judging depends as much on the judges as the builder, as point variations from year to year tend to show.  My brain is turning over slowly for my next kit scale model and I have a cunning plan - if I can be bothered.  Got to finish the Avis first.

Ralph
RalphS
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2017, 04:35:30 PM »

A bit more done.  Nearly there.  Thinking about yoghurt pot propeller.  I don't know anything about using them.  I can see getting a bit more area but wonder what pitch diameter ratio I should be considering.  The model weighs 12.5g as seen - may need a bit of ballast. 

I have seen that the blades should be cut with a 15 degree slant on the axis.  Other than that I know nothing about them.

Any information related to their use on peanut sized models would be welcome.

Using NZ-AUD (Mike) 's Hearty Lightweight clay idea to make the little men I found it easier than carving from foam. Not being arty they don't bear close up inspection but they fill the holes in the top of the fuselage.  It is weird stuff.  gooey from the packet but quickly accepts moulding using typical things like cocktail sticks, lolly sticks, small knifes, etc.  Left overnight the surface dries so that it can be handled but the inside remains gooey and can be scooped out to lighten it.  It accepts acrylic paints ok.  These two fellows weighed 0.35g after painting. 

A few pictures show the present state.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Avro Avis aka The Flying Carrot
ZK-AUD
Gold Member

Kudos: 16

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2017, 04:47:18 PM »

That looks fantastic Ralph and I'm glad to see the Hearty Clay being used for the pilots - something I have yet to try.  I have wondered about forcing it into a plaster of paris mould of an existing face.  1/32 plastic pilots would be getting close for peanut scale...
FFmodeller
Titanium Member

Kudos: 48

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2017, 05:21:32 PM »

That's looking lovely Ralph  Smiley
abl
Bronze Member

Kudos: 5

Andy Blackburn

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2017, 09:17:54 AM »

That's quite stunning, actually.

A.
dputt7
Platinum Member

Kudos: 58

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2017, 09:29:51 AM »

Quite possibly one of the nicest models on the forum, Well Done! Kudos
RalphS
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2017, 03:19:06 PM »

Andy and dputt7.  Thanks for comments.  Nice looking aircraft from the 1920's.  Better looking than some of the other Lympne contenders although I like the Missel Thrush a lot.

I have made a yogurt pot prop for trial flights, p/d 1.00.  I have done the bed flight and a short flight on the lawn - shows promise.  Other things are getting in the way, such as gardening, flying r/c, flying our club outdoor freeflight comps, going to the supermarket, having a haircut, dental checks, hospital checks, flying competitive drone courses with grand daughter, getting some models ready for Old Warden this weekend (if it isn't too windy), etc.  There just isn't enough time!

If I can get it flying I hope to make a larger version. 

Ralph
OZPAF
Titanium Member

Kudos: 38

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2017, 07:46:14 PM »

You must be retired Ralph - as it sounds like you are being organised Smiley I certainly hope you find time to get this lovely little model into the air.

Happy flying
John
RalphS
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2017, 03:10:32 PM »

You must be retired Ralph
Yes, 20 years of practice Grin

I certainly hope you find time to get this lovely little model into the air.
On my "to do" list.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: